Monday, March 19, 2007

THE TWO-EYED CLICK BEETLE














Once again I've been slightly preoccupied with our county's Elementary Schools' Science Olympiad program. My wife and I, along with some children from our neighborhood, attended a workshop on Sunday at the Stony Creek Nature Center. While there, I observed some highly energetic youngsters willing to learn as much as they could in preparation for the "Don't Bug Me" insect identification competition this spring. (My wife and I are the event coordinators.)

One rather enthusiastic boy approached me and asked, If you could be any bug in the whole wide world what would it be and why? And after staring out the window, thinking about a man dragging his children's sled through these very same woods, his wife's body parts neatly stacked on top, I gave him my answer. "Sometimes," I said, "I wish I were hinged at the neck like a Two-Eyed Click Beetle. They have a special joint, something that resembles the fittings holding a train's boxcars together. A quick audible snap and it's not only able to right itself, but it can also scare away any would-be predators." He told me he had seen one at Station #14 neatly pinned to some Styrofoam in a display case. "What's your favorite?" I asked in return.

"I don't know," he said. "It's a toss up between the assassin bugs and the ambush bugs."

After the workshop, I asked my wife if she'd like to walk the nature trails and she quickly said, "No. I'm ready to go home."

17 comments:

Plain Jane said...

I would want to be a mean bug-one that won't get squished or eaten too quickly after birth or just die after 24 hours of life. Come to think of it I would not want to be a bug period.

Donnetta Lee said...

Okay, I guess maybe a sweet little lady bug. Or, on the other hand, maybe a stinging wasp. Could I be one on one day and then the other on another day? Gee,I just can't make up my mind.

Donnetta

Anonymous said...

Jim, I would like to be a part of the Hymenoptera Order family. I probably would like to be an "Ichneumon Wasp" which is principally a parasite of butterflies. The wasp lays its eggs through the cuticle of the catepillar, and the wasp's larvae feed on the non-vital parts of the body without killing their host. When fully grown, they simply eat their way out of their host and pupate on the writhing remains. :) No, I probably would like to be a "Stag Beetle" due to their cool antler like claws. I don't know if I could joke about taking my wife for a walk in the same woods where Mr. Steven Grant took the remains. It would make us feel creepy. I have goose bumps just thinking about the area which we used to run through for practice and trainin. --Bro, Ron

Ellie said...

I have finally found a moment to stop by and read up on your blog.

#1. Don't quit writing, whatever you do, even if you quit blogging, which we all hope you don't do.

#2. The dog is now your siamese twin? :)

#3. I watched the 8 mile tape and it was really interesting. My husband and I were in your area last summer, we went to the Ford Museum and the Diamler/Chrysler sign looked really familiar. I know we passed one of their plants, but I don't know if it was that one or not. Your video really brought out what I sort of remember Detroit being. Good job.

#4. I don't blame your wife for not wanting to go on any walk after hearing all that bug talk.

Keep up the good postings, Thumbprints, you do a wonderful job.

Bardouble29 said...

I am so sorry, but bugs...bug me (lame I know) I don't care much for bugs...I appreciate the necessary ones...but...just uck!

skinnylittlesister said...

Hmmm...a dragonfly probably.

skinnylittlesister said...

Btw, I have never heard of an assassin bug or an ambush bug. Will have to google ;)

Christina said...

I would like to read a story from a bug's point of view. Well I guess I can go watch "Bug's Life," and I should be getting, "Ant Bully" in the mail soon, however, I would still like to read a bug story. We should tell Stewart to make that an assignment.

This had me laughing. Cute kid.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Click beetles are cool. Do you have them in America? I assumed they were tropical.

C said...

LOL! I am terrified of bugs...all bugs!!!

Thanks for the comment on my blog :)

Michelle's Spell said...

That's a great question from the kid -- I'm guessing something beautiful that dies quickly. I don't know enough about bugs to know what that would be. As for those fricking nature trails, they'll never be quite the same, huh?

exskindiver said...

hi JT,
sorry i missed you. (*wink*)
a quick hello.
i have to do some bill paying but i will be back.
before i go,
you have an interesting job.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm already a spider, a big hairy tarantula.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. The trails a wonderful this time of year.Just before spring the skunk cabbage should be growing. They call it skunk cabbage cause it attracts the skunks...hey now, there's a thought! Great post. Glad to see you are back with the Science Olympiad. I have been reading your blog JR. To thyself be true.
MW. :)

thethinker said...

I'd be anything other than a mosquito.

Jo said...

My daughter can do a perfect imitation of a wood bug. I think I would like to be a dragonfly. Is that a bug?

Josie

Sunrunner said...

I'd either be a dragonfly or a ladybug. Peaceful.

Please tell me that the guy with the sled got what he deserved. Please? It's amazing and a bit frightening to think that those kids are in the same place as that guy and his poor wife.