Wednesday, March 14, 2007

PCAP, PINK PEOPLE & A PASSING SHIP


















If you’re interested in finding an affordable piece of artwork for your living room and you don’t mind giving money to a convicted bank robber, murderer, or rapist (perhaps a pedophile), then the Prison Creative Arts Program (PCAP, Prison Art ) is the place to shop. Every year the PCAP Administrator, Suzanne Gothard, and Project Director, Buzz Alexander, visit various Michigan prisons and collect artwork ranging from graphite sketches, acrylic paintings, and pencil drawings. Once they’ve chosen the best work, they organize an exhibit at the University of Michigan’s Media Union Gallery.

I remember them examining artwork at my facility and leaving with a treasure trove of goodies. Not all the inmates were happy though, some questioned why their pieces weren’t selected. “Look,” I told one crybaby, “your painting’s quite pleasing to the eye, however, it lacks originality.” When an argument ensued, I suggested he leave the magazine clipping of the nature scene he replicated off the matted frame. “It shows that you have no vision to call your own.”

Ironically, Gothard and Alexander must have been enamored with a series of acrylic paintings depicting pink people—the flesh tones all wrong and the illustrations something you might see a child scribble in his grade school notebook. I’d heard that these paintings were very popular with the art crowd, yet they reminded me of “South Park.”

In the above photo, I’m holding a 2004 1st place graphite sketch. The artist (don’t ask about his criminal past) worked on it for well over a year. I paid $0.00 for it, but I’m sure it’s increased in value since then. Hey, all of a sudden my mother-in-law’s oil painting, “Passing Ship on a Dangerous Sea,” doesn’t look so bad. How about I sell both of them to you?—a two-for-one deal. Or how about a trade? I’ve been looking for a Kevorkian pastel to brighten up my day and of course: my living room.

14 comments:

Kate S said...

Can I just have the dog instead? :)

Bardouble29 said...

Wow, I knew they did art...but I didn't realize they get to make a profit off of it...hummmm learn something new everyday.

You pup is damn cute...and I remember you didn't want one...seem pretty attached to me.

GrizzBabe said...

This post title has way too much alliteration. ;) And the pooch is a cutie.

Erik Donald France said...

Who knows? Who knows? One person's art is another's grandmaster joke.

Jo said...

Kate beat me to it. I was going to ask what you would take for Bailey. Cute dog!

Josie

islandgrovepress said...

Gee, I'm glad I don't work where you do.
I am a honkie, though I am not especially enamored with my mother.
LOL.

Ivan

Donsie said...

Nice Idea to swop - but I think you will do better on ebay. Must be honest not one of the paintings really gets my attention, so I don't blame you because you want to get rid of it.
I am sure you will get more for that cute doggy!

Ellie said...

I have a feeling the dog you didn't really want is going to be in many more of your photo shoots. You seem pretty attached to her already.

etain_lavena said...

whahahahaha.......I dont want that....sorry:)

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like the price was right. I kind of like it, but the only sketches on my walls are done by my son or my girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Prisoner art is over valued. The Jonn Gacy clown prints are one example. The dog looks happy with you. Nice post. MW

ghee said...

that painting on the wall is pretty cool,JR!

and thats a nice tip,too :D

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

What a wild idea -- I know someone who has an original John Wayne Gacy. It would give me the creepies to see that every day!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Nice sketch from a prisoner as well as your Mother-In-Law's painting! Isn't there a saying, that another person's garabage is another person's treasure. Everyone makes money off everyone else. No thank-you! I don't want some creep's painting in my home. I'll stick to my kids scribblings. :) --Bro, Ron