Thursday, March 15, 2007

SHOCK THERAPY







“Ask your tutor if he plays the slots,” a coworker suggested to me a few years back while we sat in the employee lunchroom.

“Which tutor?” I asked.

“Mr. P,” he answered.

I guess he thought I’d just fallen off the turnip truck. Or perhaps he witnessed how a former corrections-officer-now-turned-rapper played a dirty trick on me:

“I shook down one of your students and found this.” It was a shiny silver Zippo lighter, something prisoners aren’t allowed to have.

“What student?” I asked.

“Oh, I can’t remember.”

Slightly puzzled—he must have written a ticket on the person, his short-term memory couldn’t be that horrific—I said, “You found contraband on a prisoner and can’t remember his name?”

By this time he suggested I feel the weight of the lighter and slipped it into my hand. “I don’t know if it works,” he said.

I flipped the cover over and flicked the small metal wheel with my thumb and couldn’t let go of it fast enough, a surge of electricity shooting through my fingers. Everyone laughed as I cussed him out. “How many volts did you hook up to this thing?” I asked once I had calmed down.

Call it “shock therapy.” A lesson well learned. I know better. Think before you do anything around here.

“Go on, ask Mr. P if he plays the slots.”

So I’m thinking Mr. P has some type of gambling debt and wants to lay low until the next pay period. I’ve been to “Anatomy of a Set-Up” training. I wouldn’t want to create a situation in my classroom and have blood all over my carpet. “Nah,” I responded, “I’m not asking him diddly-squat.”

Here’s the real shocker, something I found out later: Mr. P, for reasons only he and the Almighty Lord will know, inserted coins into his granddaughter. His nickname in the facility—The Quarter Man. How disgusting is that?!

14 comments:

Bardouble29 said...

Uck! Uck! I will NEVER understand the minds of criminals. For years I have loved psychology and criminalistics, but gross nasty stuff like that just blows my mind.

skinnylittlesister said...

That is very disgusting. I guess yor co-worker has to make light of it to keep from loosing his mind.

thethinker said...

I feel so sorry for the granddaughter.

Anonymous said...

Back in a day grandpa would get his ass kicked for being a child molester. Now that half of the prison system seems to be nothing but "tree jumpers" and child molesters prison justice no longer exists. The honor code is gone. True but sad story. MW

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

It's surprising and disgusting, at least it is for me. I wonder though, jr, after so many years of exposure to this sort of thing are you still able to be surprised?

geewits said...

"Does he play the slots?" That's almost sicker than what the guy did. Blech!

Donsie said...

I would say double UCK! To have a gamble problem is bad, but to have the urge to play with little children is worst than murdering someone - at least that person is dead, but the kid is "dead" inside.
I don't think that a person with a mind like that ever realise how much damage he does. I talk out of personal experience and I wish that someone like that could be punished in the same way. To feel dirty and used!

etain_lavena said...

BATARD......poor grandaughter....I get so mad at these ppl that abuse kids.....flippen hell.....

ghee said...

inserted coins into his grandaughters??how on earth could he do that??

thats absurd...

ghee said...

inserted coins into his grandaughters??how on earth could he do that??

thats absurd...

Charles Gramlich said...

Man, you've got the background and experience for writing horror. Write what you know, you know.

JR's Thumbprints said...

For those of us that work in a prison, we sometimes distance ourselves from the horrors. Myself, I don't seek information on why someone is in prison, it's just that sometimes the information gets revealed. I'm glad I don't have to see the detailed case files, because if I did, I'd probably have a difficult time working with the inmates. For those that see the case files, perhaps joking about it is a way of coping, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Jim, That Dude was a sick man! I would probably not look into any of the prisoner's files also just because I wouldn't want to know who I'm facing! Scary stuff but looks like you have put up with this for many years. --Bro, Ron

Sunrunner said...

FYI - prison justice is alive and well in many places. It just isn't publicized. It just blows my mind that he was a corrections officer and is still allowed to work in the prison system!!!!