Wednesday, March 21, 2007

THE OBSERVER & ECCENTRIC

During my senior year in high school my role as captain of the cross country team had been diminished to co-captain status. Something about setting a bad example for the others, something about too much partying on the weekends and getting into mischief even though I did fairly well come race day. On Mondays we had this after school ritual where, as we stretched for our practice run, our coach would ask us how many miles we put in over the weekend. Whoever had the most mileage made the local newspaper under the headline, “Runner of the Week.” I caught on to the method to his madness and strategically placed myself last, that way when my turn finally came, I could report the most miles. After having my mug shot in the local “Observer & Eccentric” a few times, I grew tired of my own antics and let things play out as they should.

At work we had this inmate tutor, obviously a middle-child craving for attention, skating the hallways, waiting for opportunities to talk with the women staff members. He used to read those small town newspapers, faithfully searching for female “student athletes of the week," or other human-interest stories involving teenage girls. He’d find out as much information as possible and phone them with congratulatory messages. From there, he’d try arranging secret places to meet. Needless to say, his predatory methods landed him in prison.

I used to observe this sad, pathetic human being outside my classroom. He knew the exact time our female classification director arrived for work. One day I confronted him. “I don’t want to see you out here,” I said from my classroom doorway. “In fact, I don’t want to see you period. If I do, I’m writing you a ‘Temporary Out of Place’ ticket and you can explain yourself to the hearings investigator.”

Soon afterward he disappeared from our facility. However, some habits are definitely hard to break. In his spare time I heard he had fallen back into his old ways—reading various newspapers and writing and calling young teenage girls. I guess some people can never out run their personal demons no matter how many restrictions are placed on them.

23 comments:

Plain Jane said...

you know when in high school i had this guy call me once =i thought it was a friend since it sounded like him- stupid me i never questioned it until the 3rd call- we'd talk about shit and i mentioned something about the concert and he said he couldn't go because of work- i was like 'ted you stupid shit since when do you work?' he said well my name is not ted...freaked me out- i wonder now if he was calling from jail. NICE pic by the way- woohoo....

Raymond Carver said...

See my "Where I'm Calling From."

Erik Donald France said...

That is one creepy ass story (the inmate's stalking, not your running). So much for changing behavior for the better.

Cheri said...

Someone said to me today that, "We are nothing without experience." That's how I feel about writing.

I love your writing Jim.

thethinker said...

Great picture. One of my favorites so far.

And too much partying? Mischief? You?

Donnetta Lee said...

Sometimes rehab is just not an option.

Donnetta

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

thx for dropping by, jrs. i see you all the time on etain's blog.

Lana Gramlich said...

An injection of hot lead to the brain would stop people that can't stop themselves, but I'm not the most sympathetic person, admittedly...

Desirea Madison said...

Sexy picture. I used to run Cross Country.

islandgrovepress said...

All my life I've wanted to be a perv and predator and all I got to be was stupid altar boy.
There is no justice!

Even the priests didn't come around.

Ah well. Perhaps darts!

Ivan

Anonymous said...

JR I remember that fool. He thought he was all that and a bag of chips. Ivan, its still not to late. Nice photo JR. What kind of mischief are we talkin here.? I didn't think chasin possums was mischief. MW :)

Plain Jane said...

hey i just thought th epicture was funny and this is the first picture of a guy i've ever posted- funny thing is that I hate absolut and I don't like it straight up. tee hee hee

Grey Goose for me thank you

etain_lavena said...

my word, we all get our super stalkers once in a while, me being way too cheeky scare them off before they even start. I even scared off my best friend at varsities stalker he would pop out of no where, just *poof* there he was with his stupid comments about her....So one day I asked him....so why the hell do you stalk her? are you mad? he was like humm, bla bla...I said you know what I think it is time to leave her alone....hihih...he never did folow her again...hihihih...I also like your pic....ggrrr:)

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm always amazed at the things people do that I would never have thought of in a million years.

Michelle's Spell said...

True enough -- demons just hide; they don't go away all that easily. Cool picture!

Christina said...

That is really scary. That's great that you were looking out for others. That man is the worse kind because he does his research.

islandgroverpress said...

Anonymous: That's funny as hell!

JR: Some people will do anything to get published by Island Grove Press, the little e-publishing company that is growing.
Island Grove did indeed steal a picture of yours from a past blog--you in the hot tub. So I guess, obliquely you had a picture published through Island Grove Press...I needed artwork, so I stole yours.
Trouble is, all the ladies seemed to have found "the nakid-in-the-hot-tub" picture rather stirring and they're all running copies of it.

Here is what correspondent Josie wrote to me in a p.s.:

P.S. You can tell JR that I have his hot tub photo fridge magneted onto my fridge. :-)

3/22/2007 11:55 AM

Dare I say never trust a naked teacher, even if in a hot tub?

What JR hath wrought.

Certainly makes for good copy.

Ivan

the walking man said...

why isn't this guy in top lock with noaccess to phone or newspapers?

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Walking Man,
You're talking about Ivan, right?

islandgrovepress said...

Nah, I'm just picking stars to put in my pocket.
There goes another one!
Go on through, go on through!

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Jim, Wow, thats an "old" photo by all standards!!! I remember the running days as well as the partying days (on the weekend). Running in Cross-Country through the nice woods of Stoney Creek. Well, they once were nice and peaceful until Uncle S. Grant!!!!! --Bro, Ron

Robin (Capitulation) said...

As a mother of teenage daughters, this is one creepy story.

Sunrunner said...

I'm sorry, but there really isn't any rehabilitation for sex offenders. That particular problem goes beyond the realm of "fixable". If only the justice system would figure that out...