Friday, March 2, 2007

HOW MAY I HELP YOU?

















When my late grandfather worked with trustees at the Jackson prison farm system in the mid-seventies, he would often tease my grandmother about her religious volunteer work at the county jail. “She’s cheering for the wrong team,” he’d say. I never questioned my grandmother’s intentions—I’m sure there are folks out there awaiting trial in need of prayer (currently she writes to an inmate who murdered his ten month old baby and is having difficulty coming to terms with what he had done)—however, my grandfather’s oversimplification of “us” versus “them” seems somewhat appropriate, to me anyway.

Speaking of people wanting to help the down-and-out, we had a middle-aged lady who donated her time and energy at our facility with the Catholic services and programs. From what I’ve heard, her daughter would sometimes accompany her. I’m not too sure what happened to this lady. It was rumored that she took a liking to a prisoner nearing his out date and that she disappeared shortly thereafter. Also, it was rumored that her daughter became romantically involved with an inmate of her own. You know what they say, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.

What is known is that this middle-aged woman’s husband, a successful businessman in the area, had been found in his vehicle with a zip-tie around his neck. His death was ruled a suicide. I guess he strangled himself because of his marital problems. I’m still unsure whether they found his wife. Or the ex-felon. The years have been rolling by and I guess it’s no longer newsworthy.

I wonder how long it will take for the media to lose interest in the disappearance of Tara Lynn Grant, the young mother from my area?

16 comments:

EE said...

I've always wondered how many innocent people are incarcerated because they lack the funds for good legal representation?
What are your thoughts????
I could think of much easier and less painful methods than committing suicide by zip tie...sounds fishy to me!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I heard today that the Tara Grant disappearance will be on the Missing Person show tomorrow. Looks like the Cops were able to get a search warrent and are checking the house out along with the vehicles. Let's see what they find. I love the photo of grandma and grandpa. Brings back memories. --Bro, Ron

thethinker said...

I read an article about Tara Grant. I hope, for her sake, that the media does not lose interest.

Lorraine said...

You sure know how to write a story JR. Your simple, direct approach makes it all the more frightening....

Anonymous said...

Nice post. The pipe habit was the worst habit I ever had to break.
Sure makes you wonder on the missing persons. Thanks for sharing. MW

Stewart Sternberg said...

Volunteerism is a strange animal. I have worked with many, and some have been great. But they sure are a lot of work for the institution for which they volunteer.

Tara Grant? You mean the missing white chick of the week? Give it a few more days and Fox will pick it up, especially if she is pretty. I still laugh, sardonically, at the coverage of the blonde lovely who went missing in Arruba. Fox didn't let go of that one for months. And it's not because the producers have anything resembling compassion or concern.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Parts of Tara Lynn Grant were found in the garage of her house. Her husband is on the run. Such tragic news and so close to where I grew up. May she rest in peace.

Johnny Yen said...

I saw that news story just a moment ago on the New York times online. And like the guy you wrote about, he was keeping her body on his property.

Tammie Jean said...

I love the photo of your grandparents!

Sorry to hear about the missing woman... so sad.

Anonymous said...

I noticed a crucifix behind your late grandfather. Perhaps it's a sign.

Charles Gramlich said...

Grandparents Gothic? What is it with women and prisoners?

ghee said...

a zip-tie around his neck?horrible!

the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree...

indeed! :)

Erik Donald France said...

Creepy all around. Aren't most violent crimes committed by acquaintances, "friends" and spouses or ex'es?

Anonymous said...

Jim, If you look closely, you can see the crucifix behind Grandpa. Wow!! I just heard the Police found body parts in the Grant home. How sad! That home was in the subdivision across from our's where we grew up as kids. It looks like it was near where our uncle lived. How weird! Also, the Police are looking in the 29 Mile & Mound area where we drove by every day to High School..... Americas Most Wanted will air tonight and I believe they will update the story from this morning. Get the dude Steven Grant and lock him up if in fact he did it!!!! The Police may charge other individuals who may have hindered in the investigation??? --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Jim, I think you got something going here. I think you can see the "future". Just the other day you were talking about some dude putting his wife's body in the freezer. Looks like they found Tara Grant's torso in the garage of her house! ............ --Bro, Ron

Ruth W. said...

so sad about Tara Grant...My heart and thoughts go out to her children.