Sunday, March 18, 2007

BRAIN FREEZE














I'm having one of those flashbacks that defy all rules. There's no real action or drama here; there's no vivid scenes running through my mind's eye. No, the flashback I'm encountering--the reenactment actually--is being played out in today's Detroit Free Press. Unlike my partner in crime (my wife), who would've taken the brunt of any punishment without an admittance of guilt from me, this criminal, a prisoner at the facility where I work, sent a notarized letter to the 35th District Court implicating himself in a stolen snowblower incident.

Oh sure, they had his DNA--turns out the home owner bloodied his nose before he escaped--so this convict, this guy (hey, why not give his actual name, afterall, it's in the newspaper), this Timothy Hynes, white male, 41 years old, explained in his letter that his female companion tricked him into taking the snowblower. How dumb is he? Is there ice crystallizing in his brain? Did an icicle puncture both hemispheres? I wouldn't even admit to receiving and concealing stolen property. "Officer," I'd explain, "I thought she got it at a garage sale."

Now this inmate's facing one count of first degree home invasion and one count of unarmed robbery. As for his lady friend--nowhere to be found. Of course, my situation is totally different and if someone were to ask me if I'd care to elaborate, then I'd probably panic and direct him or her to the following link: Here's how a masked man obtained a free snowblower.

Short Story Recommendation: "The Cold, Cold Box" by Howard Fast

14 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Born to lose? I had a student who wrote a research paper about this former UVA student in AA/NA who emailed a woman he'd raped in the 80s to "make amends." She was living in another state, but with no statute of limitations in VA, the woman, after corresponding a while, brought him to trial and he was sent to prison. She said she forgave him but wanted justice served as well.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Good one! You look like the masked "snow blower" bandit!! Hopefully you're now at peace with yourself! Nice photo of the frozen frogs I gather that you reviewed at the park today. --Bro, Ron

B said...

that whole frozen frog thing is distrubing JR.

what can I say about your post, stupid is as stupid does I guess.

I love that you include your puppy in a lot of your photos now- it's adorable!

ShadowFalcon said...

Some people really make me doubt common sense being common at all

etain_lavena said...

Now my question is how do you trick anybody into something....hmmm...candy, toys, food?
whahahaha......:)

Cheryl said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. I've read through a bunch of your posts. Funny, insightful, very readable. I'll be back, especially since I have this weird interest in prisons. I pass by a bunch of them (Jessup, MD) on my way to and from work everyday.
PS. I am off on Mondays. Part of my weekend.

Island Spice said...

JR.. I love your stories. I been MIA a bit but its good to be back. Good of you to pop by.. All is well :)

Charles Gramlich said...

It's a good thing that many criminals are stupid. A very good thing.

ghee said...

his female partner tricked him in taking the snowblower??what an excuse!!i bet winter made him dumb :)

JAM said...

I guess there'll never be a shortage of fodder for those "stupid criminal" spots radio announcers like to do.

But you're golden, you were sitting at home and your wife brought it to you, so, enjoy.

What a great couple of stories. I can see why you would get a little bit nervous reading about that.

Man, what's up with the frozen frog thing? You're going to have to explain that one. Or is it like the first time this louisiana boy went to the northeast U.S. and was asked if I wanted a frap or fibble. I was like, what!? Is it a Detroit delicacy?

Nimh Sellers said...

So how many times a day do you hear the guys in prison singing "I fought the law, but the law won"?

The dangerous ones are the ones smart enough not to get caught, and I don't really want to know how many of them are out there haunting the streets.

-P

Helen said...

You tell such good stories.
Helen

Dutch Pot said...

I found this quite interesting!! I am presently stuck on trying to rid my life of a PhD focussed on prisons. The link came in as a skived... It is interesting that he fessed up...wonder why? I am resently working on a theory of guilt and thsi presents me with yet another dimension in my Guilt chapter I had not thought about....or maybe I have? But it would be good to knwo , was it a sudden moral call stirred by his latent moral identity LOL.. yeah thats the crap I am spending my nights on!

Nice to meet you! :)

JAM said...

Ok, I admit it. I'm slow, but I get there eventually. The frogcicles are part of the bug show. Phew.