Friday, March 23, 2007

THE INEFFECTIVE SPEECH WRITER

No pandemonium at today's graduation ceremony. In fact, I'd call the whole affair a real yawner. The greatest controversy (one that few staff members knew about) was probably the school principal's speech. Just the other day she said, "Jim, you're a writer, how about writing me something? You know, not too long, but make it interesting."


I'll admit, I wasn't very enthused about it, but after ten to fifteen minutes banging away at my computer keyboard, I reappeared in her office. "Here," I said, placing the finished copy on her desk, "Make it your own."

She quickly read through it and got all excited. "This is good," she said, "I'm going to use it. How'd you come up with it so quickly?"

"I dunno. It just happened."

So I sat upfront with the warden, teachers, and guest speaker, waiting for the school principal to deliver the speech I had written. I wanted to study the reactions on the inmates; I wanted to hear her spin on it. I finally had a genuine interest in the whole ceremony, and for what? She wrote her own speech. A real snooze-fest. Here's my speech (and feel free to tell me if you would've used it in front of a bunch of GED graduates/convicts):

Richard Bach, best known for his inspirational novels, mainly Jonathan Livingston Seagull, once wrote: "Learning is finding out what you already know."

Think about it—“Learning is finding out what you already know.”

Perhaps what he had meant was that each individual has an infinite amount of possibilities, that each individual is capable of learning whatever they choose—that the sky is the limit. Although very inspirational, this may not be grounded in reality.

I'm sure when those test scores first came back—whatever self-doubt you were feeling changed to a sudden sense of accomplishment. You might have felt vindicated, you might have realized, “Hey, I knew this material all along.”

“Learning is finding out what you already know.”

Yet, there's another saying that puts everything back into perspective. Something I'm sure you've probably heard many times before. Perhaps your teacher or a parent told you this: “The sign of an intelligent person is the person that realizes that he doesn't have all the answers.”

So here we are, everything has come full circle. Two rather profound statements that contradict one another. So what should we do? I think that answer’s quite evident. Continue to learn.

19 comments:

Nimh Sellers said...

I think quoting some of Johnny Cash's life lessons might have been more effective.

If you want people to listen, you have to suprise them with something they aren't expecting and that's remarkably simple.

Great speech writing is tricky. Often times, "speech writing", ends up sounding more like "preach writing".

You were trying to acknowledge their struggles and commend them for getting where they have in the program, but I'm not sure how much of the message would have gotten through because it's somewhat clouded in philsophy and introspection.

Maybe your inmates really are that philosophical and introspective, if so, we shouldn't see them rescinding any time soon. :)

A good trick would be to set aside the speech for a day or two if possible, then have someone else read it back to you and decide if you believe what they're saying or not. If you can't spare the time to listen to your own speech at least once, then no one else will want to either.

-(there's no such thing as a humble opinion) Proxima.

You're still great and probably did a better then your boss, unless she quoted Foxy Brown. :>

islandgrovepress said...

Hm.

I have never seen Immanuel Kant's a' priori critique quite put into plain American like this before.
A priori is what you know already.

Good work.

But then it's a prison school.
The humourist is tempted.
A' posteriori?

Ivan

JLCGULL said...

Continue to fly.

Professor Irwin Corey said...

Indubitably.

Anonymous said...

That Fletcher Gull.

He is supersonic, like the Roadrunner!

Ivan

Jo said...

She probably knew the speech was too good, and everyone would guess it wasn't her own.

I often tell the Munchkins that acquiring knowledge is unlocking what's already in their minds.

Who's the handsome guy in the herringbone tweed? Very cool.

Josie

Anonymous said...

Is A' posteriori something in hindsight, or something Big Bubba's trying to get on those lonely cell nights?

Plain Jane said...

did she change ANY of it and make it her own? sounds good and is it me or does it look like that puppy is growing like a weed? My date tonight was great, we ended up in bed cuddling for a bit, got a few kissess and hugs and then reassured her that the aliens from the movie were pretend and off she went to sleep. She was a cheap date too. I know some men are dense...the 3rd one responded back- yeah sounds great can I have a full body picture? it made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Do you like lozenges sir?

geewits said...

I thought is was a good speech on two levels: 1-Makes you think, and 2-It's short. Maybe word got out that you had written her speech and she was embarrassed.

Lola Cherry Cola said...

Wow, if I ever have to give a speech I'm getting you to write it ;-)

islndgrovepress said...

Anonymous:

You can obviously handle a shaggy-dog.

I like corn flakes. Can you swim?

Ivan

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a good speech. The guess speaker alluded to the theme,learning is continous. I think our principal did not wish to be in front of the crowd and hence: did not use the speach. I would not take it as a slight. The big pictue: 1.Over 100 convicts and no melee. 2. Motivation for this years students.3. You look pretty sharp in a herringbone tweed. 4.Ivan sounds like he put one too many of those stars in his pocket.Enjoyed the post MW :)

islandgrovepress said...

Anonymous:

Love Oak Park.
Hemingway's origins.

You Michiganders really make me laugh. Like an FM signal. Tops and bottoms cut out. Real name cut out.

Pocket aristocracy.

Hey, well. That's better than broken down aristocracy.

Ivan

JR's Thumbprints said...

Careful now, Ivan. That last anonymous passes out the shovels. If you need any landscaping done, watch who you hire; there's plenty of ex-felons starting over in Canada.

Michelle's Spell said...

Love your speech, Jim. My favorite speech of all time was equally short -- a musician got up at my graduation and said, I can't really talk so I'm going to play one song. Beats everything else!

EE said...

DANG...I was hoping for some high drama!!
Great speech!

Anonymous said...

Jim, You probably gave hints to your inmates that you had a hand in the speech. She probably thought it was too good and the inmates would have thought that she couldn't write anything like that. "Learning is finding out what you already know." I believe this is true!!! --Bro, Ron

Danny Tagalog said...

Oh I wish some of the principals here would write such short, meaningful speeches. You'd go down a storm in Japan, JR!