Wednesday, August 30, 2006

MY FASHION STATEMENT

Maybe I’m not on the same wavelength as everybody else. Should I be? All the recent hoopla about school dress codes pales in comparison to what I had to endure. I’m not talking about the serene calm permeating the air on the day that all Michigan prisoners had their personal clothing confiscated and were forced to wear state-issued blues. Sure, when they electronically opened their cells on that special day, most correctional employees erred on the side of caution.

And why not? If something jumped-off, let’s say a random shanking, how would the perpetrator be identified? Hmmm… He had on a blue shirt with matching blue pants with a hunter’s orange stripe running down the pant leg. Oh, and he was dark complected. Okaaay … sort that out.

Not that I care. So all you youngsters (and your parents) out there sniveling over a dress code—get over it! My students wear the same outfits, and as far as I’m concerned, “Why shouldn’t you?” Actually, most public schools are still allowing you to choose your own clothing. Just don’t show up looking like a hoochie-mama or jimmy-mac. Distractions in an educational setting need to be eliminated.

And yeah, I’m a hypocrite. So what? Stop your rapid eye movement. The last time I wore a suit and tie to work, the immobilization siren blew, and I had to serve cake to over a thousand inmates in the chow hall. I thought my arm was going to fall off. The only reason I was in formal attire on that day was because my regular work clothes were still in the dirty laundry basket at home.

As a matter of fact, teachers should be able to wear whatever they want. When I worked at a Detroit prison, they implemented a silly dress code. They wanted me to wear slacks, dress shirts, and dress shoes. Can you believe it? No tennis shoes. No twill pants—I had to look that one up—what they meant was no Dockers. I had a closet full of Dockers. I sought further clarification. They made allowances; Dockers are okay if you wear a tie.

One day I showed up sporting Dockers, a Croft & Barrow dress shirt, and the required tie. The correction officer yelled, “FREEZE THE GATES!”

Slightly confused, I had already gone through the metal detector undetected once, I decided to go through it again. She stopped me. “Sir, I cannot allow you on the premises with tennis shoes. Per the deputy warden’s memorandum.”

“Huh,” I said. “I’m not wearing tennis shoes.”

“Sir,” she said, “they have a rubberized sole.”

There wasn’t any need to argue. She contacted the deputy warden, who came up front. They glanced down at my shoes. With a smile on my face, I said, “They're Sperrys—the original boat shoe.” Needless to say, I was allowed to perform my duties that day.

19 comments:

thethinker said...

I would complain about the uniforms at my school, but for me it's so much easier to get dressed in the morning. I don't have to dig through the closet to decide what I'm going to wear everyday because it's not like I have much of a choice.

Anomaly said...

I'd probably complain about the uniforms at my school too, except - and it's ironic - their usual excuse actually worked for us. Most of us were pretty much broke enough that the last thing we needed to worry about was what to wear to school ;)

Which still doesn't mean I'm going to forgive the hats anytime soon.

Grrrr...

Anomaly

Michelle's Spell said...

I think school uniforms are cool --God knows what I chose to wear at that age was truly awful! Now I'm glad to have a job where I can wear what I want. God knows I wouldn't last in the corporate world for ten seconds. And well, for writers, the uniform is simple -- a ratty robe will do!

On the Same Page said...

In CA, you cannot wear blue or orange (and I actually saw a Cuban doctor turned away for wearing an orange shirt - what was he thinking in the first place?). Khaki & green are encouraged, but the green cannot resemble the custody staff "greens." Your guess is as good as mine.

Once when I traveled to Monterey for a day, I had the dugarees I wore on the plane, and a pair of green cargo pants I wore into the prison. At my last visit to a housing unit, I sat down on a puddle of unidentified yuck. The next day, before I returned to the airport, I ran into the admin building, outside the fence, to look at a file. A training officer stopped me and told me I could not enter in dungarees. "I'm not going into the prison." Sorry. They made me put on a bright Crayola yellow jumpsuit over my clothes in order to read a criminal file.

I can still hear the staff laughing.

Wichita-Lineman said...

I got the shit beat out of me a few times for trying to defend myself when older students made fun of my K-mart clothes. A few times I even got spit on. I was much smaller back then. Social class in schools is defined by the clothes you wear. I'm all for the uniform. It will solve quite a few problems. As for work, you should be able to wear what you want. It's all about performance.

Love the tie.

Keshi said...

Uniforms r good and make all kids equal.

Keshi.

Margie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!
Interesting post!
I have never worn a school uniform.
I do know my son would not be happy if he had to wear a uniform.
Take care!

C said...

Sperry's are not tennis shoes. Interesting job you have. I have a CJ degree. I wonder where it will take me.

christabelle said...

Hi,
Thanks for coming by my blog.
When I was in high school i loved wearing my uniforms, it made everyone luk smart and the same too!

But i cant imagine myself wearing that now, awch!

Em Meyer said...

My first visit here so I read several of your posts... I enjoy your writing very much. Your view is one of depth and humor, which is always welcome in my book!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

ZZZZZZZ said...

oh..my...goodness! I was always ify about school uniforms. On the one hand I'd like to just roll out of bed every morning and throw something on... on the other hand I think a lot of people would have gotten to know each other better had it not been for the status symbols of nike, adidas, guess, ralph lauren, and so on.

R's Musings said...

Love the post, and the tie! Uniforms would make school shopping a lot easier!

Anonymous said...

Great Post. 12 customer service reps later and I'm back on the internet. I don't think I'll show up at comcast anytime soon though.
The wife left a "blazen trail" MW

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

Great post! I'm with Lee (Wichita-Lineman) on this one: "Social class in schools is defined by the clothes you wear. I'm all for the uniform. It will solve quite a few problems." The younger the people, the more they could use uniforms. College and beyond, anything goes.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. In case you're wondering, I'm wearing a Barbie-Doll tie in the picture. Thirty-pounds lighter and it still fits around my neck quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Nice tie! I wonder what people would save if I wore that tie to work? Well, I don't have to wear a tie and if I do, everyone thinks a have an interview to attend to. Bro, --Ron

Parlancheq said...

Topsiders are so not tennis shoes! Obviously the correction officer was not a preppie or such a fashion faux pas would not have been committed.

Anonymous said...

Nice tie Kenny Jones!

Anonymous said...

You have to admit, it is a great lookin tie.