Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A WRITER'S DILEMMA

There’s this student in my GED class who hates reading the required material. I’ll admit, it’s a bit dry and uninteresting, so I told him, “Mr. Sheffield, bring a magazine, newspaper, novel, whatever you’d like to read. As long as you’re doing something in here.” My basic philosophy is that regardless of a person’s reading level, if they’re not reading on a daily basis, then they might as well be illiterate.

Mr. Sheffield has become a voracious reader. He orders novels from the “Get Yours” Catalog (www.getyourscatalog.com). Prior to that, I tried to get him to read some of my prison stories; which he said were too wordy and confusing. He went on to say, “You should try writing one of these novels.” Now I’m entertaining the thought. I could be the “Eminem” of ghetto-lit, or gangsta-lit, or whatever the hell you call it.

On another note, I sent a previously published story to Hobart’s online journal (www.hobartpulp.com), hoping to keep the story alive, hoping to gain new readers. Here’s the follow-up email I received the other day:

Hi James. I liked your story submission, but ultimately decided it was a bit too long for inclusion in our online October issue. I don’t read for the print Hobart, but I suggest you submit to our print issue. I think Aaron Burch would like this piece; it’s funny, biting, and surprisingly full of hear. I thought the ending was just right. Thank you for sending it our way; please consider us when submitting your work in the future. Best, Claudia Smith and the Hobart Editorial Team.

Again, another lovely rejection. What do I do? Ghetto-lit? Or Reality-lit? Follow the money (the brochure says: “We Ship To All State Correctional Facilities”)? Or small literary journals? I know this much: not to quit my day job.

15 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Great post. Here's to your Hobart story -- for the print version ;) Love the "Get Yours! We Ship To All State Correctional Facilities". Here's to reading (and writing) every day. ~~'E

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
Your post made me laugh! I'm sure that the print journal is a good way to go for the story which the editors obviously liked. As for money and writing, well, I'm trying to make them match, but they seem to have a sort of plaid/stripes relationship -- seldom do you see them together! Love the name of Get Yours!

Anonymous said...

But.....Will he be able to write an essay? An acceptable essay...
One that will be accepted by the GED testing service? Remember also that "bustin' a nut" stories
won't pass no matter how well written. Just a thought. Great post. MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

MW,
You must be sympathetic to a man's proudest achievement in life. As long as he has a topic sentence, supporting statements, and a conclusion, then what's the problem?

Erik & Michelle,
So you guys think I should send a once published story to Hobart's print journal? Hmmm.

Anomaly said...

Definitely :)

When you think about it (and I say this without having seen your story) that answer wasn't really a rejection, just a length thing. I've seen some online fiction-journals that try to break larger stories into two-parters and it always ruins the flow.

Go for it!

Anomaly

Malinda777 said...

I'm just an "average Jane" but I consider myself fairly "schooled" and OMG, try reading and enjoying I Claudius for an honors high school reading assignment (25+ years ago)... Now all I remember is the tree that was sentenced in a trial to be uprooted and destroyed.

As for submissions and rejections... subscribe to "Bits & Pieces"... a great inspirational tiny publication. The "guy" that wrote Carrie... Mr. Stephen King... he was told he didn't have the writer's talent to be held in one's pinkie finger. His wife (while they lived in meager circumstances) actually pulled that transcript out of the trash can and saved it for another later rejection... but wait... he is now STEPHEN KING...

Keep writing. You have a lot to say and some incredible life experience to go with it.

Helen said...

Hey, I just got you comment on my site, so thanks! Your last post was entertaining. Good luck with the Hobart print story!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading my seventh biography of F.ScottF(go figure)and the famous story of his getting 122 rejections for one story is recounted and he wallpapers his room with the rejections, knowing that this act of wallpapering will one day make a good story. And it does.

jeannie said...

Jim, I look forward to reading your posts every day. You are a true Wordsmith. You should write a novel, or even put your blogs on paper. You've already got a fan base so you're ahead of the game.

Jamie said...

I'd read a book of your prison stories. I have been catching up on your blog entries, since I'm new here, and have found them all quite entertaining. It'd be great if you put all the prison ones together.

ZZZZZZZ said...

I can't believe you just used the word ghetto... doesn't seem to flow with you I guess. ;o) sorry to hear about your rejection. just keep putting it out there!

Michael C said...

You can go where the money is or where the heart is. Although it would be pretty cool to call yourself a 'gangsta writa' don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Jim, I think it must be a "too long" of an issue! Just think, there is a lot of folks out there that would like to say, their "too long", if you know what I mean. :) --Bro, Ron

ThatBeeGirl said...

I didn't realize there was such a genre as "ghetto lit."

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a song by Elvis - In the ghetto?