Wednesday, August 9, 2006

THREE HOTS & A COT

I have this theory on why prisoners live a better life than the rest of us. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but hear me out. I used to call it the "Fat, Dumb, and Happy" Theory after a eureka moment I'd had while walking with my wife at the Ann Arbor Arts Fair. I had told her, "I envy that guy over there," gesturing toward some slovenly, unkempt man smiling at the sun, hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth with his untied shoes firmly planted on the sidewalk. My wife seemed puzzled until I said, "Not a care in the world."

It's a strange outlook for sure, an outlook I've used several times in my classroom to get the attention of my students. I'll say to an inmate, "Sir, unlike my sorry ass existence, you have it all, and I admire you for that." I get the usual suggestion, "Let's trade places then," and my response, "If only we could." Next, I'm off and running with a mathematical concept that I'd once learned in an Early American Literature class. I grab a marker and start my list.

"Give me three things that are absolutely necessary for us to survive."

After some conversation, my class comes up with the following: food, water, and shelter. We agree to lump clothing in with shelter (seems to be the only flaw in the Thoreau concept I'm using). I write these three items under the heading "Need." Next, I ask an inmate to tell me what materialistic object he'd like to have. Under the heading "Have" I list different objects: car, boat, gun etc. Then the fun begins. I write the following equation on the board: "Have/Want."

"Okay, so let's say you now have a car. What makes the car run properly?" I write their answers under want: gas, oil, windshield wiper fluid, etc. My equation changes: 1 car/3 items, or in simpler terms 1/3. The exercise continues: "What happens if the tires wear out or the windshield wiper blades go bad?" "Get some new ones," someone suggests. Once again the equation changes: I now have a car, gas, oil, windshield wiper fluid, new blades, and new tires, but the list of items wanted increases, new spark plugs, timing belt, air filter ... The equation continues to change over time as we continue to accumulate more things: 1/3 becomes 6/15 becomes 23/47 and so on and so on. My mathematical illustration, I tell them, fluctuates as we grow older.

I drag this exercise on for as long as I can, before refering back to the intial inmate that I stated had it all. "If you could change your wants to equal your needs, then what happens?" I write the following on the board: "Wants=Needs" and "Have/Need." "If you have food, clothing and shelter, and it fulfills your needs, then what does your equation look like?"

I get a blank, impassive stare. "Isn't the formula now three over three? And what does that equal, sir?"

"One," he says proudly.

"Correct, sir. One whole life. While I'm caught up in the rat race living a fraction of a life, you sir have it all, and I admire you for that."

He says, "Yeah, but you got your freedom!"

And I ask, "Do I?"

11 comments:

ZZZZZZZ said...

Love the post. Very interesting question at the end.

R's Musings said...

Excellent, Jim! Love the logic of it...so true. Either we're all free, or none of us are... Cheers, R

Anonymous said...

In life, if you lower your denominator, you'll have more of everything. Elementary, my dear Thoreau.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, right on! Loved this post.

And I know what you mean -- working two to three things at once, the basics are covered, yet I can scarcely afford to visit my family in PA or NC. Everything's so expensive we can barely breathe outside the barred spaces. Yet I know plenty of apparently jobless people who move about like "freebirds" all the time. Makes you wonder why we work at all. For HBO access?

Cheers, Erik

Cheri said...

Love the post, and sadly, I don't think that they understood your point, not at all. I think it's quite brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Thorea invented the lead pencil as we now know it.

R's Musings said...

Let's see...any desire above basic needs = prison (Buddhist philosophy). We're all imprisoned by our wants, thus none of us are free. But we're all free to choose a simpler life, aren't we? --R

Erik Donald France said...

Aha, Freud and the Buddhists agree!
Very true about choices.

I'm a freebird, too ;)

Anonymous said...

Great post JR. Sure makes me wonder.I'm having a hell of a time just trying to keep the dog from pissing inside the house. I agree with anonymous I need to lower the denominator. Now where's that gun? MW :-0

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,
Really good post. I'm thinking of how enslaved I am, even given my "relatively" simple life. I love the story of the French schoolteacher who chose to go to prison instead of teaching so she'd have time to write! (She was a political prisoner).

Anonymous said...

Jim, Excellent post! Today's inmates don't understand that they have it better than people out on the streets! Bro Ron