Friday, August 11, 2006

A SEASON CUT SHORT

Football season is fast approaching. Anyone wanting my rookie card can download it here. I suggest you place it under a glass-topped coffee table. It’s a guaranteed topic of discussion, just don’t cover it with a coaster or a bowl of chips during game time. I held the following position: second string wide receiver. Years of play: one. I decided to resign because the quarterback never saw me, my arms outstretched, running down the open field.

I never made it to the professional league either, like Keith Karpinski, a former offensive lineman for the Detroit Lions and fellow coworker of mine at St. Matthew’s School in Detroit. When we first met, I said, "Hey, I know you from somewhere. Your name’s awfully familiar." He explained that he used to play ball for Joe Paterno at Penn State before getting drafted by the Detroit Lions. Turns out, after a few seasons in the NFL, he couldn’t pass his physical. They said his knees were shot. I told him, "Man, you took one helluva pay cut to teach in Detroit." It didn’t seem to bother him; he grew up in Hamtramck, his parents owned a pub not too far from where we taught. He also claimed to have received a nice severance package.

Keith and I were the only two young male teachers at St. Matthew’s. Unfortunately, the principal decided it was I, the smaller guy, that should have the classroom next to the little boys’ bathroom on the second floor. My extra job responsibility included making sure they didn’t piss on the radiators. "And if they do," the principal explained, "you’ll regret the smell." Perhaps I never caught a pass in my short football career; however, I did catch a few culprits in midstream. Sent them to the school office too.

I enjoyed working with Keith. Last I heard, he was coaching football in Alpena, Michigan. Below is my St. Matthew’s team photo. Keith’s the big guy in the white shirt in the last row. I’m willing to bet he follows the Lions season too.

(Preseason Game 1: Detroit 20 Denver 13)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Widereceiver JR,
The Lions have been known to recruit local talent. Can they put together a winning team this year? I doubt it.

R's Musings said...

I'm not quite the football fan, Jim, but I like the way you pulled all the elements of this story together, especially the football card. Great idea! --Robin

JR's Thumbprints said...

Robin,
Does this mean you don't want my rookie card? --Jim

R's Musings said...

You know how to twist a girl's arm, don't ya, JR. It's cute, but where would I keep it? Guess I could sit it next to clay statue of Darren McCarty my daughter made as an art project in fifth grade... lol --Robin

R's Musings said...

P.S. Only if it's autographed... someday when you're a rich & famous writer, I may need to make some money... lol Cheers, Robin

JR's Thumbprints said...

Robin,
I'll never be rich, but in the end I may have more money than Darren McCarty. I hate to gamble. JR

Anonymous said...

Nice picture and story. The Karpinski's are friends of my mother's family. I'll have to talk to her to see if this is a relation. Also, brought back highschool memories of playing linebacker and cracking a tail bone. I had not experienced pain like that before. Took over 3 months to heal. Keep your rookie card for your grandchildren. They will appreciate it. MW :-)

Erik Donald France said...

Hey all,

great post, Jim! Joe Paterno, huh? Wow. I played four years of football, ending in h.s. -- linebacker and guard. A rough experience, but worth it once it was over. Helped me understand brute competitiveness. Well, that and VMI. Love the rookie card. Ooorah!

ZZZZZZZ said...

I'm not that into football unless it's the superbowl... my aunt always has this awesome party and we all bet money and play squares and they all think it's so cute when I ask them what all the tech language means... like the post though... good story

Anonymous said...

Jim, I remember the pic very well. I didn't participate in any football and I know it was your first try with you and Chris M. I think you're football card is worth some money. Try eBay?? :) Bro Ron

Jessi said...

Hi...that's a great story and picture. It brings back memories. I went to St. Matthew from 89-93, and I remember having Mr. Karpinski for social studies class. He was a great teacher. I remember the pic too, because besides many of the teachers and administrators in it, my mom's also in it (first one standing from right); she was a teacher's aide during that time.