Sunday, August 27, 2006

I'M SUCH A CATFISH!


There has to be an incentive for me to shake hands with a bored twelve-year old chubby kid at his older sister’s birthday party. Watching him greet his sister’s friends with a secret handful of chip dip makes me chuckle. “Who taught you that?” an angry mother asks. That’s my cue to exit the room.



I guess you could say I’m probably not a textbook example of how an uncle should act. I can’t help myself. Why not make things interesting in the subtlest of ways? It gets people on the edge of their seats. Never a dull moment.

We had our annual catfish cook-up at my mother’s house on Saturday, and while delivering a plate of Cajun cats to the table, my wife had me pose for a picture (okay, not exactly—I suggested it). Unfortunately—depending on your perspective—two of my three nieces, ranging in age from four to twelve, saw what I had done. I’m sure that since they're the older two, they told their mother (my sister-in-law); however, she’s fairly tolerant of my antics and dismisses their concerns. No need to question Uncle Jim’s motives. At least my wife thinks I'm quite the catch.

I’m forever pulling this same prank in my classroom. An inmate will request the use of the bathroom. I’ll reach in my desk drawer and pull out a small lacquered wooden paddle with the word “PASS” on it. I’ll make sure to hand it to him in such a way for all to see. “Just for you,” I’ll announce, commanding the attention of everyone else. It’s never a deterrent.

13 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Cajun cats -- like it! Funny post -- cheers, 'E

Anonymous said...

Great Pic. Makes me hungry just looking at them. Kids grow up and they do remember. Here's to many more family gatherings. You do realize that eventually the getter will be gotten? MW

Anonymous said...

Jim, What great catfish it was! We didn't eat Bass! :) -Bro Ron

Anonymous said...

Who's the dude in the background?

JR's Thumbprints said...

That's my Bro! The guy who commented at 3:39 PM.

R's Musings said...

Great first sentence! Wish I'd had an uncle like you! I might've enjoyed family get-togethers. I was the youngest of the grandchildren, and the tiniest...enough said.

Wichita-Lineman said...

Ha ha. My sister just had her first baby two months ago - My first niece on my side of the family. I'm looking forward to being a cool and funny uncle. At one month Uncle Lee came by to deliver a little pink Detroit Tiger's outfit - The first of many interesting and fun gifts.

That picture makes my mouth water. Hope it was good.

Lee

Stella said...

Ahhh... good times, good times! LOL

jeannie said...

What a cool Uncle you are. I agree 100%. You've gotta have fun at those things. I'm always getting into trouble with my relatives for giving their kids whistles or drums. Last year I gave a the little ones tamborines. I got more than one death-to-you look, but the kids had a blast.

Michelle's Spell said...

Great post, Jim! Love the picture and I could go for some catfish -- the picture is making me miss home cooked food!

JLCGULL said...

I like fish and fries.

thethinker said...

Mmm.. Catfish. Why must you and Michael
torment me with all the blogging about delicious foods?

Anonymous said...

I'll have fish and chips sir.