Friday, September 1, 2006

GRADUATION DAY

A GED Graduation Ceremony in a correctional institution can be an uphill battle. The graduates, proud of their monumental achievement, sometimes feel entitled to more than they deserve. The ceremony includes the customary strip search afterward—just in case a visitor successfully smuggles in a few party favors. However, the only keestered item I’m aware of is the graduation tassel. One correction officer went so far as to ask me if I’d like it back. “Hell no,” I answered, “throw it away.” (In case you’re not familiar with the term “keestering,” it means to hide it where the sun doesn’t shine.)

As you can see, graduation day is a very very big deal to the graduates. We’ve had inmate bands and choirs performing original graduation songs, food technology students serving cake and punch to the participants and their families, and institutional maintenance students (Mopology 101) scrambling to bring more chairs into the visiting room. We’ve had guest speakers too: The Reverend Wendall Anthony of the NAACP; David Sneed, former Superintendent of Detroit Public Schools, and Sharon McPhail, a successful attorney and Detroit city council member who once campaigned for mayor.

I’ll never forget one graduation ceremony in particular. While the graduates were putting on their caps and gowns in the muster room, I discovered that two of our graduates were missing. When I asked control center if they could check into their whereabouts, I was informed that one graduate transferred to another prison earlier in the week, while the other graduate was in segregation. My heart went out to the correction officer who had to inform a family that their son wouldn’t be participating due to his recent transfer. I’ll bet the poor C.O. received an earful..

In order for me to get the other graduate out of segregation, I needed the warden’s permission. After jumping through the necessary hoops, Inmate Webster was brought to me in handcuffs. I asked the C.O., “Are you going to uncuff him?”

“No. The only orders I received were to bring him to you.”

“Well don’t you think it’ll take away from the whole graduation experience?”

“Unless I receive orders to uncuff him, he will remain cuffed.”

Again, I sought out the warden. Within five minutes, Inmate Webster had the restraints removed and I was handing him a cap and gown. “I’m not wearing that,” he said. Turns out, he didn’t give a shit about graduation; he only wanted out of solitary confinement.

I looked at the other graduates, eager to “get the show on the road.” I said, “Make sure Mr. Webster is properly fitted in a cap and gown. I’ll be back in a couple of minutes.”

When I returned, Mr. Webster had on the proper attire. His hair seemed somewhat messier than before, but he was ready to get his GED certificate.

18 comments:

ShadowFalcon said...

At first I thought that photo was a joke but then I read the rest of your blog. Congrats to the inmates and well done for getting them there.

No idea if this will work, to get the one's who don't like reading interested in books try giving them "The count of monte Cristo" or "the shawshank redemption". Or get the class to read a chapter weekly. It might just appeal to them...

p.s I noticed your from michigan so might I take a second to say The Red Wings are the best team in the universe and I'll never get over steve yzerman leaving.

Anomaly said...

No real comment today, except to say that I find it a little ironic that those in prison find graduation so much more meaningful (aside from the unfortunate Mr Webster) than the average high-school or college student.

And that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, of course ^_^

Anomaly

Anonymous said...

I guess there probably are some who are tickled pink by putting perfume on a pig.

jeannie said...

Most of them must get a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I know takes hard work. And having a great teacher doesn't hurt either! They are lucky to have you, even if they don't know it.

Michelle's Spell said...

Love the post, Jim. These events always depress me in a way -- something about ending of something, good or bad, that gets to me. Great reading!

Erik Donald France said...

OH man, another well-done post, Jim. A little depressing? Yes. That dude looks like he could star in a David Lynch or Warner Herzog film. "Gang's all here."
Cheers all,
'Erik

ZZZZZZZ said...

i am glad that some people find graduation meaningful. the only cool thing about graduating from high school for me was the party. even my assoc. of gen. studies seemed no big... but i think that when i finally graduate with my bachelors and hopefully masters... i will feel a huge sense of accomplishment and that what i have done with my life matters.

Anonymous said...

Another great post. The end of the week and I'm tired. The prison
stories which are so real are gaining you your fan base. Go for it. There was an escape attempt at Muskegon Correctional Facility
using a garbage truck. Real people got hurt in the attempt.
Nobody escaped. Some argue nobody
worth saving was captured. Black and Grey exceptional. See you when I see you. MW

thethinker said...

I don't know what it's like to graduate yet, but I'm sure they're pretty darn proud of themselves, and for good reason. Congratulations to the graduates (and to you for teaching them).

Bobby said...

Justice gets served up quick, huh? Don't hold up graduation or you get your hair mussed!

You know what? This reminds me. I didn't walk at my college graduation. I was being rebellious (and cheap) and lethargic (and probably hungover). They wanted another two or three hundred clams out of me for fees and stuff for graduation. I didn't do it. I didn't even go. My mom was really disappointed when I told her I wasn't going to go.

Jamie said...

Another great post.
It would be an interesting discussion to talk about the whole punishment versus rehabilitation. In a recent 30 Days by Morgan Spurlock, he had himself locked up in a jail outside Richmond for a 30 days 'sentence.' Tough to decide what resources should be allocated to better the lot of those in jail.
Oh, for Shadowfalcon, we in NC know that you are just confused, because we keep seeing the Stanley Cup here every week or so. Go CANES!

Anonymous said...

Jim, It must be great to at least see a glimer of hope, "at all ages", after your students recieve their GED! --Bro, Ron

R's Musings said...

Great post, Jim! I agree w/MW that you're certainly building your audience, as well as educating those in a tough environment! Cheers to you for your hard work on both fronts! --Robin

the Laughorist said...

The photo is what especially got me. Is it from one of the recent or current graduations? Very sad, or comical. Or both. As always thanks. I guess my long-ago days to teaching were easier than I recall (though one kid hauled off and hit me once while drunk).

JR's Thumbprints said...

The graduate pictured is Old Man Adams, circa 1993. He died seven months later. But at least he reconnected with his daughter on graduation day. He had to contact her to let her know that he was in prison and that he had graduated. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

So not so sad after all. Life is stranger than fiction, in't.

Anonymous said...

There goes the Beverly Hill Billies!

Anonymous said...

What a great post here! I love the old man stories.