Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND

I asked my neighbor if I could park my boat on his property. "I don’t have enough room on my side," I explained, nodding to my postage-stamp-sized yard . He, on the other hand, has a three bedroom brick ranch that sits in the middle of a double lot. He has a gorgeous pond, swimming pool, two tier wood deck, large shed, and vegetable and flower garden. He can spare a few square feet of land.

Well . . . some people have their nerve. He got all defensive, like a mangy mutt marking its territory. He flat out told me, "No."

Last week I backed my empty boat trailer onto his property. I couldn’t see what I was doing and accidentally knocked over his mailbox. I told him I’d replace it as soon as he lent me a hacksaw to cut away the box from the post. He obliged, and I repaired it. That’s what good neighbors do. He seemed eternally grateful.

Now he says my boat trailer can no longer sit on his property. I don’t understand what the big fuss is all about. It’s not like he’s using every inch of his land. It’s not like I’m causing him pain and suffering. It’s not like I’m actually parking my boat on his turf—just the trailer.

Perhaps he’s jealous of my having a boat, which I now dock at a friend’s lakefront house. Perhaps he'd like to go fishing sometime. Perhaps I should’ve asked him if he’d like to go once in awhile. Perhaps I should’ve asked him if it was okay to park just the trailer on his land. "Is it okay?" I asked after the fact. "It’ll only be there for the boating season."

He says, "HELL NO! IT’S MY PROPERTY." Then he wants his hacksaw back.

Some people are just plain rude and inconsiderate. He must be just like the inmates in his charges.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

He needs home improvement.

Starling said...

maybe he's afraid you'll eventually move into the boat, on his land, and Stay There! lol

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

I think it's depressing how crazy people can be about a tiny little spot of land. If I took him on the boat, I might push him off!

ZZZZZZZ said...

Some neighbors really bite the big one! I wish I had a boat.... I'd name it the Black Pearl... or Captain Jack Sparrow... That is my new favorite disney movie... knocked the Little Mermaid to second... Sorry Ariel.

jeannie said...

It sounds like some territorial thing, like a dog. He needs to protect his 10 blades of grass just because it's his.

R's Musings said...

Quite sneaky, Jim, although I got it after the last line. :) People got nerve, don't they? They need to buy another house, one w/enough room for all their toys! lol --Robin

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

The story cracked me up. It's like Palestine! Very sly.

Anonymous said...

Man up J.R!
Tell him to move the trailer or go out there and move it yourself.

Anonymous said...

Wow. A neighbor like that who needs enemies. Can you see the trailer from your pond? Order a couble of cubic yards of cow manure and bury it. He obviously wasn't aware of your soil rejuvination project. Not that you would have to run that by him or anything. Be sure not to be in a hurry to remove it.MW

Wichita-Lineman said...

Is this the same neighbor with the crazy drunken teenage kid who was fighting with his friends while you were trying to cook steaks? If it is I'd say he owns you a couple fillets if those are the kind of games he wants to play.

Love the last line, almost makes me think you didn't see his mailbox on purpose :)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Well Robin & Erik,
I guess I can't get one by either of you. I've always been one to play with P.O.V.

Sheila, I wish I had a boat too.

As for the majority of you, including Michelle, I'm the crazy guy over a "tiny little spot of land." Afterall, who pays the taxes on that "tiny little spot of land?" I do. Who cuts the "10 blades of grass?" I do. He knew better than to park his boat on my property. He's rude and inconsiderate, NOT ME! But I do appreciate the comments--we can always agree to disagree.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Wichita-Lineman,
It's MY MAILBOX! Not his. Also, to answer your question, no, not the same neighbor. The one you're mentioning lives across the street.

Anonymous said...

So if he knows not to park his boat on your property, is he to automatically know that this includes "just the trailer?" You should spell it out for him.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I got it now! I'm a little slow, but in my defense, it's summer and my brain has officially turned off. Better crank it back on before next week . . .

JR's Thumbprints said...

But Michelle,

You're on the other side. You think it's okay for him to park is boat trailer on my property! You also would like to see me pushed into the drink! What if I can't swim?

I forgive you though. Why? Because you responded back. Thank You. --Jim