Friday, August 11, 2006

MIRROR MIRROR

Ask any inmate what he plans on doing once he gets out of prison and he’ll tell you, “I’m going to own my own business.” I’ve seen some laughable business plans—too many worth mentioning. I promise only one: An inmate doing time for B & E thought he’d provide a valuable service of videotaping a homeowner’s possessions. “You get a lower rate on your home insurance,” he said, “if you can document what you have in the house.” He claimed to have researched the market. Boy, I’ll bet he’s got customers lining up for this special offer. Do you think he has ulterior motives? Even with the best of intentions, I informed him that camcorders are relatively cheap. “Why wouldn’t the homeowner videotape their own stuff?” I asked.

Here’s a sound business plan: Create a need for acrylic, magnetic locker mirrors. Start by printing a local radio station’s logo on the mirrors and get 7-Elevens to carry the product in exchange for free advertisement over the airwaves.

A friend of mine, someone I haven’t seen in years, gave up a fencing scholarship at Wayne State University (and an opportunity to tryout for the Olympics) to pursue his dreams of becoming a millionaire. At least he had a sound plan. His company, Magna Mirror, became a holdover for me once I quit engineering school, a place for me to work my proverbial ass off until I figured out exactly what I wanted to do with my life. Neal, the ex-fencer, took his business plan to a Chamber of Commerce meeting and met a land developer who fronted the initial investment. In the beginning, my brother and I delivered counter displays of “WRIF, The Home of Rock-n-Roll” locker mirrors to every 7-Eleven in the Metro Detroit area.

It wasn’t long and we had markets in Los Angeles and Houston as well. We were on a roll. Next, Neal coordinated a meeting with some purchasers at the KMart World Headquarters in Troy, Michigan. They were definitely interested in carrying the product for their back-to-school promotion, making an initial purchase of $180,000 worth of mirrors for every Kmart in the United States including Puerto Rico. Soon, Neal and his initial partner found a bigger investor, Richard Kughn, owner of Lionel Trains. He fronted the money for mass production.

We started manufacturing mirrors twenty-four hours a day. My brother, who stuck with engineering school, opted to work a press machine, punching out car hoods instead of staying with the company; whereas, I became Magna Mirror’s midnight supervisor of manufacturing. From the start, we had problems with packaging. The mirrors fit snugly into a bag and a staple machine attached a header card. The staples sometimes tore the bags and scratched the acrylic. However, Kmart increased their orders. Unfortunately, the initial investor started ripping off Mr. Kughn, and poor Neal got stuck in the middle. Mr. Kughn pulled his money out of the operation and Magna Mirror lost the Kmart account. Undeterred, Neal found other creative ways to move the product through fund-raisers and promotions. He still had a plan. In fact, he was trying to distance himself from the initial investor by coordinating a business relationship with Jostens (they sell class rings to the high schools). Unfortunately, the initial investor found out, and since he owned the building, he changed the locks.

It’s funny how things turn out in life. I had a responsibility to the people I supervised. I had to convince the initial investor to give me the new keys. People needed their jobs. I certainly needed mine. Neal, on the other hand, signed an agreement not to start another magnetic locker mirror company for one year, and left the company behind, absolving himself from the responsibilities of paying the various suppliers. To this day, I haven’t a clue as to what he’s up to.

I, on the other hand, stayed with the company through its bankruptcy, even after having two workchecks bounce. But I did go back to school, earning my degree and teaching certificate.
Sometimes the best laid plans backfire and you need something to fall back on. I guess that’s what makes us different than most ex-felons with big dreams.

9 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,
I love this post because it's all about work and the machinations of money and friendship and business. Cheers, m

Cheri said...

You did what few other people have the gall to do- come up with a plan and follow it through to the end.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

Very nice shot (the Iowa part is way cool) and wild story! My father had a KMart photo-finishing acct. that also got mired in various back-door machinations. Whatever happened to KMart HQ on Big Beaver, anyway? That giant HEAD, for instance? Great post.

Anonymous said...

Great story JR. I like the way you tied it to our students' unrealistic goals and ambitions.
Some do make it and I give them credit for that but many fall, as you are well aware. Big Baby came in today apoligizing to me
for the scene he made in the hallway yesterday. In front of all the other testers he said he was sorry. You know that is really amazing. Word on the street: He ran into a small baracuda who immediately cleared his thinking. Thank You. It seems you are the only one brave enough to stand up to 6'2' 250 lbs of bullshit and tell them they stink.
You missed your calling. You should be coaching! MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

MW,
As you well know, it's like being a used car salesman, except you're selling the idea of an education to someone doing "all day."

Hey Erik, Iowa was easy. I recall Magna Mirror trying to get Detroit Lions locker mirrors; however, the company would've had to get a licensing agreement with EVERY NFL Team. Too costly.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

R's Musings said...

Hey Jim, interesting story! My husband and a friend bought a franchise of a janitorial business, cleaning offices, etc. He needed to try something on his own, and they actually did quite well for awhile. The salesman that got their accounts, though, started underbidding them and they ended up working too many hours for less...we also had babies at the time, so I was glad when he gave it all up; we actually got to see each other, then! --Robin

Anonymous said...

I just don't buy that. You once again sell your self short.(no pun intended.)Used car sales man?
They know the difference. But thanks anyways. It made testing easier. LOL MW

ZZZZZZZ said...

my dad is always talking about how he wants his own business... now my boyfriend is talking about it with them and I just roll my eyes into the back of my head wondering if it will one day come through... they were talking about trying to open a sonic franchise in southeast michigan... here's to hoping right?

Anonymous said...

Jim, Thanks for the history/background on Magna Mirror. I never fully knew what happened but now I know. It's interesting that I saw the "business partner" who cheated the company at my 25th high school reunion last year and sat at his table! :) Bro Jim
p.s. I'll save this story for history as you know I'm still owed some cash! :(