Wednesday, August 23, 2006

STAMP OUT CRIME














Some of you may not agree with the Michigan prison economy system, but you have to give a full-grown man (jokingly referred to as a groan man for all his constant whining) some type of incentive for attending class. Think about it, every traumatic experience an inmate has had in an academic setting resurfaces once he attempts to study the required material. There are an infinite amount of ways to fail, in fact their good at it, and only a handful of ways to succeed.

Not too long ago, inmates were paid thirty-two cents a day, usually around the price of a postage stamp, to go to school. The money could be spent on personal hygiene items from the prison store, or for potato chips, candy bars, Bugler (tobacco), coffee, or whatever miscellaneous things that happened to be in stock. Their housing representatives (fellow inmates) would help to determine which items were important to have by attending the Warden’s Forum and voicing their constituents’ wishes. Also, back in the day, an inmate could stand in line to make his purchases, and if he didn’t have any clout, by the time he made it back to his cell, he’d be holding an empty paper bag. I also remember some inmates that were charged with breaking and entering for stealing from the store.

Well, those days are long gone. Now we’ve turned to silent shopping. An inmate fills out a store order form and his items are delivered to his unit. Also, due to inflation, inmates earn fifty-nine cents a day for school. “We still get paid,” someone always asks, “when you’re on vacation, don’t we?” The answer to that one is: “Hell no.”

"Well why not?" They'll ask. Then I quote policy, and suggest that they go to the law library and look it up.

I’m responsible for the monthly academic school payroll, a voluntary duty that wields a lot of power and influence over the inmates. I work behind the scenes, stamping out crime from the inside, getting them educated by making them hit the books. If we can get them to learn the error of their ways, to demonstrate empathy, to realize that no one owes them a damn thing, then maybe later on they'll get a real job and pay taxes like the rest of us.

11 comments:

R's Musings said...

Aren't most men "groan" men? lol Great post & photo, Jim!

Michelle's Spell said...

Pretty interesting system. Of course, I'm a huge believer in a prison education -- alas Malcolm X. Love the picture!

ZZZZZZZ said...

I believe in redemtion. Everyone has a soul and I believe it can be saved. Not with Jesus, that's not the kind of saving I'm talking about, I mean they can save themselves. They must believe and must actually want to change and want redemtion. Sometimes the line between good and evil is a blur. Which side will they choose? Only time will tell.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

Nice post. I want to know more about the Warden's Forum -- you've piqued my interest. I agree re: redemption of some kind, grace, and about at least a glimmering of hope through education and empathy. Won't work with complete psycopaths, though.

Wichita-Lineman said...

Jim. You're kind of like a super hero. Thumbprint Man; stamping out crime with his literary powers of Education. I agree with Sheila. Only those who want to change can save themselves. If they want to point fingers, they should do it in the mirror.

Anonymous said...

Get Rod Marinelli as a guest lecturer. He'll teach 'em how to pound the rock.

On the Same Page said...

The number of patients I see in prison who are reading & writing at grade school levels is widespread, and it breaks my heart to hear them say, "people think I'm stupid." Among the uncountable "issues" and prejudices they have experienced and will continue to experience, I have come to believe that education is a key to their success on the outside. I really commend you for having the courage to go to the toughest classroom in the state.

the Laughorist said...

As with others, I concur on the redemptive qualities of education (I was a high school English teacher for five years about 129 years ago). Education, from the Latin e-ducere, to lead out of, yes, to lead out of darkness into light. In a sense it is a sad comment that we have to pay the "residents" to attend classes, to bribe them, as it were. But obviously they need every incentive. No past incentives worked. Or there were no incentives in the past. About 15 years ago I read a fascinating, thin book, titled something like "Inside the Criminal Mind" by someone whose name escapes me (last name began with an S). In a word, his work with criminals at St Elizabeths Hosp. in DC concentrated on the thinking of the recidivist inmates. In other words, the "stinking thinking" was a prelude to criminal activity even before it happened. My point is, I've been given many second chances, but it is my responsibility and obligation to nurture these gifts, for gifts they are. (Incidentally, I've blogrolled you on my site.)

Anonymous said...

Great post JR. I need a bit of an education here. What does it mean to be "blog rolled?" MW

jbwritergirl said...

I agree that education is everything. Some of the best well known crooks have degree's out the wazoo. Take the Enron fiasco, it takes a brilliant mind to figure out how to rip off millions of dollars while holding court among the nations top business people.

Bless you Jim. It's got to be a rough job, but like the saying goes, somebodies got to do it.

JB

Anonymous said...

Jim, It would be nice since jail inmates get paid, that they should pay taxes also! -Bro Ron