Thursday, August 10, 2006

WITNESS MY REJECTION










The Detroit YMCA Writers Group had sponsored a poetry/short story reading night at a coffeehouse in St. Clair Shores the night I met Peter Stine, Editor of Witness (www.occ.cc.mi.us/witness). He did a barely audible nature reading, which seemed unimpressive to most of the audience. I suspect that those in attendance didn’t know of him, let alone read Witness. Instead, I suspect that they were there to support a family member or friend brave enough to read. When Mr. Stine finished his piece, he looked lost, as if he didn’t fit in with the crowd, or didn’t know what should happen next. As he stepped aside, the event coordinator thanked him for attending, and on cue, everyone clapped.

I approached Mr. Stine as he ordered a coffee and introduced myself. I told him about the stories that impressed me the most in the last three issues of his magazine. Our conversation didn’t last long due to a vast line-up of poets and writers. He asked if I was performing that night, and slightly embarrassed, I answered, "no." We soon parted ways.

Mr. Stine sent me a nice "backlog" rejection letter (if there is such an animal) for a prison story I had written, and he promised me a back issue called "Writing from Prison." I’m looking forward to receiving it. Perhaps this is his way of consoling me; Afterall, the editorial board didn't even glance at the story I'd sent.

12 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I know it's not fashionable to say, but I've never been crazy about the fiction in Witness. It's too experimental for my taste. Keep pushing for Glimmer!

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim,

Touche! You've outflanked them with your blog anyway. Now you can have your literary cake and enjoy it, too, old school and new school. Keep pushing all the avenues, indeed. It's the only way to go!

Cheers,
Erik

Erik Donald France said...

p.s. 1111 profile views. According to folk lore, time to make a wish :->

ZZZZZZZ said...

Wow. I don't even know what to say... they didn't read your story but you got inked....hmmmm. maybe just he read your story.

Anonymous said...

At least you're funnier than he is.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Michelle,
I'm still a big fan of Witness, or any other literary journal from Michigan. Especially the ones that aren't associated with a university.

Erik,
Yeah, life's too short not to keep chugging along. My simple goal is to publish at least one short story a year.

Sheila,
I've been inked more than you think, especially when it comes to rejection. I guess it's better than the standard form letter.

Anonymous,
Are you laughing with me? Or at me?

Anonymous said...

Hey at least the guy responded. How many do you think just end up in the heap? Take it as a compliment and keep trying. Looks like you have a good support group giving good advice. Be thankful, and be happy. See you when I see you. LOL MW :=D

Wichita-Lineman said...

There has got to be something creative you can do with all those old rejections. Wall Paper, Slide Show Screen Savor?
Oh well, at least you've got plenty of company.

R's Musings said...

Michelle once told us in class of some guy who'd gotten rejected like 90-some times from the same place...but the editor was keeping a file on him, watching his writing grow and he eventually sent in the right story and got published. So, you never know who's watching, reading, just waiting for the right match between their journal and your storytelling... Maybe it's not rejection, maybe it's just timing. And we're the witnesses to your growing audience, Jim! You're closing in on 1200 profile views! Whoo Hoo! Cheers to you, and your writing! --Robin

JR's Thumbprints said...

Nah Robin,
The only files on me are in the personnel department where I work.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Almost forgot about you, Wichita-Lineman. Sorry about that. I'm in the processes of dismantling my rejection wall. I certainly don't want to start another one. A simple file will do.

Bobby said...

This reading I discovered when I arrived in Florida - There are a lot of regulars who have been going there a while - they know each other. The atmosphere is very accepting, friendly and open, but I can still sense a real distance between myself and them, and between other new readers and them.

Maybe. Maybe not, maybe I'm imagining it.