Sunday, April 1, 2007

VOLUNTEERING FOR PROMS

Thirty-one days in March is just too damned long, so I took a day off from blogging. What the hell? —30 out of 31 posts ain’t bad. Seems I’ve been switching gears lately, from prison talk (God, I sound like Alan Alda’s “Pillow Talk” radio show) to limousine talk. Trading one confined space for another. And as always, such awkward timing, after Johnny Yen's rave review regarding my prison writing. I’m quite sure I’m not on the same level as Erik, but if Johnny says I am, then who am I to argue? Initial reinforcement of my writing (or was it the photos?) came from the The Thinker in the form of a chain-letter-type-award. Thank you Johnny and thank you The Thinker. I've got that gold emblem on my template, minus all those rules and links. Chains are meant to be broken, at least that's what the inmates tell me.

Speaking of youth, I remember being the only chauffeur enthusiastic enough to do those prom nights. “Kids’ll tear up your car,” I heard other chauffeurs complain. “They’ll burn up the interior with cigarettes and pot. They’ll puke on the floorboard.” Not long after that the other drivers were asking me, “Why are you so eager to do proms?”

My answers: “Because the tips are good.” What can I say? The young inexperienced guns wanted to impress their dates by greasing my palm.

One night wasn’t so easy though. My client and his date stood outside the limousine getting their pictures taken—I often wonder how many prom photos I’m in? —when the boy’s father asked me if I’d let them drink in the car. Before you pass judgment on me, let me just say that back then I’d do almost anything for a fast buck. “Sure,” I said to the father waiting for him to slip me the twenty he had in his hand.

Was it worth it? Probably not. I became the father that night. There weren’t any messes to clean up. Everything went fairly smooth. Until I dropped the kid off at his house. Before backing out of the driveway, I noticed him keying up a car, or should I say, trying to unlock it. I got out and asked, “What’re you doing?”

“I’m taking her home,” he said turning to the girl leaning against him.

“The hell you are,” I replied.

He tried to wait me out, hoping I’d just leave instead of blocking the driveway. I rang the doorbell and explained to his father that my duties were finished. “They’re all yours,” I said.

19 comments:

Cinderella said...

Well, atleast you didn't let them drive, I give you credit for that. You earned that 20 bucks, that's for sure!

Charles Gramlich said...

Good job keeping the guy from driving. Sounds like you did get to play dad a bit.

the walking man said...

I think you're old enough for the drinking and driving to not have been the big deal it is today. Shows what a forward thinker you are.

And your writing is so good because it is so easily enjoyable while reading it, in my humble opinion.

Peace

TWM

and thanks for answering the question on your cousin.

thethinker said...

The money was well deserved. You probably saved a life or two.

etain_lavena said...

whahahahah....when ppl are drunk they think they are the best drivers ever...sad be that.
have a good week:)

Erik Donald France said...

Nice work, Jim. One of the groovy things about writing is there's variety for everyone's tastes, and thank God for that. The spice of life and all.

In this one, you're a pragmatist with a clear conscience, a double whammy.

GrizzBabe said...

If they are gonna puke in the back of the limo, the least they can do is tip big.

Anonymous said...

Nice post JR. Looks like Ivan hijacked another one of your photos. Just say the word and Canadian ground will be covered.
You know what I mean... MW

Iris VonKornea said...

Well weren't you a handsome young thing! It's too bad you weren't around to be a good influence on my son at that age. Maybe he wouldn't be gay now.

We need more nice young men like you who know how to be a role model!

EA Monroe said...

I enjoy your writing, JR. Good work on keeping up with so many blog posts! I can't wait to see what writing your "students" leave over on Josie's abandoned blog! ~Liz

Plain Jane said...

I didn't go to my prom. Wasn't asked. How lame is that?

Lee Ann said...

That is good that you "turned the kids over to his parents"!

Thank you for stopping by, I hope I will see you more often!

EE said...

I'm diggin' the bow tie...could it be any bigger????

geewits said...

I think the girl would have been better off if you had driven her home instead of turning her over to the dad that paid you to let the kids drink. I'm just sayin'...

Johnny Yen said...

Hey, I'm digging these chaffeur stories, too!

I read something years ago, in the Whole Earth Catalog, about how people who only do one thing in their lives don't have as many stories as people who do a few or even many things in their lives. It's amazing how the things that we did on the way to what we're doing give us some of our most interesting and rich experiences.

Michelle's Spell said...

Great story, Jim -- I love the limo stuff. I think you have a treasure trove of material here!

ZZZZZZZ said...

haha everyone needs a day off from blogging once in a while! Sometimes too much of a good thing isn't all that good.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Smart thinking and thank the lord you didn't let those kids drive! You probably saved some lives back then and didn't know it. Quick thinking!!! --Bro, Ron
p.s. Nice prom pic!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I went back and looked at your photo. I do agree, that your bow tie was one hell of "large" bow tie. Is that you wearing your high school ring (huge as well) on your right hand??? --Bro, Ron