Wednesday, April 18, 2007

BEHIND ENEMY LINES

General Biscuit had a long standing policy: In order to be a cookie/cracker sales representative, you had to start out as a swing man. You had to prove to management that you could handle a variety of accounts and increase the sales volume of each person you were subbing for. It seemed realistic, within my grasp.

I learned that the easiest way to ruin a perfectly healthy relationship with the regulars is to not order enough product. No one likes to return from vacation and look at barren shelves. A lull in product-movement is the equivalent of flat-lining commissions. “Folks can’t buy it,” Clayton Middleton, our district manager, used to say, “if it ain’t on the shelf.”

“I’d rather have you order too much,” Dick said, “than too little.” Not only did he have the highest sales volume, he also wrote the most store credits. At first I attributed this to stock rotation, or lack there of, and rodents chewing through packages. “You hungry?” he asked once. We were jamming cookies onto an endcap display. “I’m buying.”

Before I could answer, he tore into a package of cold cuts and a loaf of bread; the store owner, hot on his trail, kept yelling in broken English, “You pay for that, Dick, you pay for that.” Such was Dick’s way—give the store owner a generous credit and fix yourself a sandwich, condiments included.

The suburbs, on the other hand, didn’t operate in this manner. There were certain rules that must be adhered to. Call it payola for shelf space. National Biscuit commanded a sizeable lead, with General Biscuit and Keebler a distant second and third, respectively. Each company had their linear footage, their beach front property; their land surveyed and marked for all to see.

I remember stocking the shelves of a Meijers and facing a dilemma—too many cookies, not enough space. Remembering what Clayton had told me, I decided to face off the Nabisco cookies and slide my extras in behind. No harm done. The National Biscuit rep still had his beach front property, his house was still standing. Of course, I knew the steady erosion would soon give way to General Biscuit and I’d infiltrate his loyal customers.

Later in the week, a National Biscuit rep confronted me. He grabbed a box of my Salerno Butter Cookies and started stomping on them in the middle of the aisle. As much as I wanted to reciprocate, I lied instead. “This is the first time I’ve been in this store.” The women grocery shoppers looked at him like he was a raving lunatic.

Short story recommendation: Seth Taylor’s “What You Want But Can’t Buy”

20 comments:

Nimh Sellers said...

You know when it comes to Children's book writing, we call it a "Bunny eat Bunny" world. I guess you did time in the "Cookie cruncher" world. Ha, ha, ha Nothing is never as pleasant as it seems. How knew even cookies have a dark side?

-P

the walking man said...

Humanity is very predictable

Anonymous said...

I agree. The dark side of selling cookies. I still like the ones with pink icing. Nice story. MW :)

Captain Crunch said...

You should move to the cereal aisle. You're a real killer.

Plain Jane said...

hmmm where were you when we were selling girl scout cookies?

Donnetta Lee said...

JR: I repeat, What a guy!

Sounds like you learned a lot in Dark Cookie World!

Donnetta

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow! Who knew the cookie business was so cut throat?

I thought it was all just a bunch of nice little elves.

lulu said...

I picture you and this other cookie guy having a big David Mamet style faceoff.

"Know what it takes to sell cookies? It takes BRASS BALLS to sell cookies."

EA Monroe said...

JR, I enjoy your stories so much. Today I was thinking you should be the next Kevin Smith and write your own versions of the Jay and Silent Bob screenplays.

The Cookie sales reps in the convenience/grocery stores might be the next summer blockbuster!!

Go for it!

PS -- I have heard that the grocery retail business is one of the most cutthroat there is.

thethinker said...

My mom is like that. She always insists that it's better to get too much of something than too little. Most of the time, she's right.

Jo said...

My very first job when I was in high school was stocking shelves in Woodward's grocery store with some of the other kids. If we saw a package of cookies we liked (Oreos), someone would put their thumb through the wrapper. "Whoops, can't sell those. Have to eat them. :-)

(BTW, You have been voted an honorary AntiQuark.)

Josie

Donsie said...

I never sold cookies in my life. Ever... But yes the politics are very high i see...

BUMBLE!!! said...

I like chocolate chips cookies.
They're good.

Malinda777 said...

Isn't it still amazing that the "YES" men end up the cookie supervisor when they really HAVE NO IDEA of which cookies folks really want.

I'm the shopper that would have spied your better cookies behind the others and "accidentally" mashed a package on my way to choose the better product.

Erik Donald France said...

Theatre of the Absurd! Too funny, or:

L'absurde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dadadadadada . . . . . . . .

Cheryl said...

We always run out of color in our supply room. The stylist feel like we should have lots of extra inventory, the owners don't want to be the 'store'. It's always a dilemma.

Michelle's Spell said...

I like the scene, Jim. Great ending!

ghee said...

i think its not easy to become a sales representatives,and its so hard to avoid them,too :)

Johnny Yen said...

The visual of the butter cookie-crushing incident brought me a much-needed laugh, Jim!

Man, you were making friends right and left in that business, weren't you?

Anonymous said...

Jim, Looks like you were fighting for your life!!! The "cookie" world was and is tough!!!! The package cover is everything just like the kids cereals. --Bro, Ron