Monday, April 2, 2007

DO THE HUSTLE














A typical Monday in the joint with nothing shocking to report. No fights. No shanks. No major misconducts. I’m afraid reminiscing about my chauffeuring days is inevitable. . .

I spent most evenings sitting in the back of that Lincoln Continental stretch absorbing the glow of a small television screen or reading under the soft interior lights; my clients wining and dining in expensive overrated restaurants—some of which did not allow chauffeurs the use of their bathrooms.

It wasn’t long and I had figured out various methods for making the night as productive and painless as possible—my most popular distraction: videotaped movies (DVD’s hadn’t been invented yet). During my “down time” I thought about ways to maximize my profits.

Since I never punched in or out (I signed a log book, picking the car up and dropping it off at the owner’s automated car wash) I devised a plan for hustling more cash. In those days the standard rate for a limousine was fifty-dollars an hour for a minimum three hours. A majority of my clients were bar hoppers, hopping from pub to pub, presumably looking for a little companionship over music and drinks. If they found a particular watering hole to their liking and exceeded their time limit on the car, they’d send someone out to negotiate with me. I’d act like I was sticking my neck out, that I was doing them one hell of a favor. “I could lose my job,” I’d claim before cutting them a deal.

We’d usually agree on fifteen or twenty dollars an hour, money up front, cash only. As long as the car didn’t leave the parking lot everybody was happy. Seemed like a win-win situation. I wasn’t driving around burning up gas and oil or risking damage to the car, and my clients were enjoying their evening. I’d log in the three-hour minimum once I returned to the car wash. I did this for one reason only: I needed the money to help pay for my college classes.

Only once did I take a calculated risk. I overheard some female college students arguing in a lecture hall over whom their designated driver should be on that particular Friday night. I suggested a limousine. They thought it would be too expensive; I convinced them otherwise. It’s the only time where, after replenishing the gas tank, I pocketed all the money. As far as the limousine owner was concerned: the car never left the car wash. Do I have any regrets about it? Nope. Back then I felt invincible. Nowadays, I’m too afraid to take risks, too afraid of what I might lose.

19 comments:

thethinker said...

It sounds like you were making pretty good money. I wouldn't have enough guts to do that. I've never been much of a risk taker.

islandgrovepress said...

They seek him here.
They seek him there.
Damn Frenchies!
The Scarlett Pimpernell.

Jo said...

That's all you need is to end up in the slammer.

(I have a new blog... sigh. If you click on this link it will direct you there. At least until I have to go back underground and join the Morlocks again).

Josie

Jo said...

I missed the post yesterday. Was that you in the suit? Nice tie...!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Looks like you got through college so you were able to pay for college!! :) Maybe this wasn't so bad after looking back on it. Today, you probably wouldn't get away with it unless you had real good insurance. --Bro, Ron
p.s. Is this why you never dragged me along to check things out?? At least I could have been a part of the ACTION!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim, what are you doing with that pooper scooper in your hands in the photo? Pick up some special treats off the lawn left behind from Bailey????? --Bro, Ron

geewits said...

We are probably close to the same age. I remember the feeling of immortality (or invincibility?). My high school boyfriend and I were in NYC in the late 70's and did all kinds of crazy stuff - and NYC in the 70's was NOT a safe place! It was fun back then, though, wasn't it?

Donsie said...

To take a risk is part of life. And I understand that better than anyone.
Doing odd jobs for extra money while studing... you dont even what me to start telling you.
Good post!!

Claire said...

Sounds like a cool time.

Cxx

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember a feeling of invincibility once.....but it seems like a galaxy far, far away now.

Blancodeviosa said...

i think it is a very essential part of growing up. and we all know money is hard to come by in college after all.

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

Love this one! Outlaw Jim! I have gone the opposite direction -- when I was younger, I'd never take a risk. Now, well, it's pretty much routine. I don't care so much. Good title and great last line one this one.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know what you mean about the risks. Now I have others depending on me. It's not just myself I risk.

Cinderella said...

You are a very genuine soul. Even in your college days you weren't so bad!! You are a hard worker too!

We all live pay check to pay check. Some of us can place our heads to our pillows at night knowing we earned what we have in good faith. Some of us not so much. You have no worries.

Great picture!! It's cute lol

Laura said...

Great story. I could never do stuff like that. I'd probably get caught my first time trying it. That's my luck.

Anonymous said...

That's why you work in prison, right? So much for risk taking. MW

Rock Meister said...

Fire up those guitars!!!!

ghee said...

that was alright..you worked hard for your college and you should be proud :)

btw,your pic is on my blog for my blog anniv entry.i hope you wouldnt mind :)thanx!
regards!
ghee

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, these driver stories are great.