Tuesday, April 3, 2007

THE DIZZY DUCK & OTHER FINE PLACES














Contrary to popular belief, the best clients a chauffeur can have are not celebrities. I learned quickly that celebrities, at least the local ones, are cheap bastards. As if their presence alone should make up for any short comings in the tipping department. Arthur P., a popular Detroit rock-and-roll disc jockey with a deep baritone voice known for his trademark way of saying “Baby,” never tipped. At first I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but then I came to realize that chauffeurs are mere extensions or accessories of their limousines.

The real money came from your average middle class person that wanted a fun night out on the town. “Take me to the best strip club in Windsor,” a client might request. If you were quick with an answer, “Okay, we’re going to Cheetah’s,” they were usually satisfied. “What about Jason’s?” someone might challenge. “They’re overcrowded and the service is crappy,” I’d explain. Never mind that Cheetah’s took care of the chauffeurs, fed them and looked after their cars, whereas Jason’s did none of this. And don’t forget those other demographics. My answer for a car load of women: “Okay, let’s go to Danny’s.” Or gay men, “I’ll have you at Menjo’s in no time.”

Ironically, low class folks were generous with their money too. I sat in The Dizzy Duck, a former local dive and after-hours joint on 8 Mile Road near the I-75 underpass, while my clients disappeared into a back storage area. A toothless, tattooed client of mine reappeared. “We paid for you too,” he exclaimed. I looked at the haggard woman under his arm and politely said, “No thanks.” She frowned, and after a slight argument, he retrieved the money and gave it to me. “Spend it however you’d like,” he said, “She wasn’t really that good.”

Then there’s the business people, perhaps the best tippers of all. One gentleman in particular made it worthwhile. He brokered deals between companies, researching businesses for sale and finding prospective buyers. I’d pick him up, then his clients, and we’d go to Sinbad’s in Detroit. While they hammered out a deal in the restaurant, I sat at the bar crushing cockroaches with my beer mug. The bartender always put my order on my client’s tab. I always had my fingers crossed that the deal went smoothly. If it did, I got paid handsomely.

22 comments:

Ruth W. said...

lol...I now see how you paid for your college education. Good Job!!!

Jo said...

Gosh, and I thought the job you have now was interesting! You must have some stories. Did you ever run into the same folks in both jobs? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

(I always tip taxi drivers, but I have never been in a chauffered limousine.)

Josie

Plain Jane said...

ok those pics you are putting up are priceless...who takes them? your wife? does she read your blogs? and thanks for the metaphor- i'm done looking for boys for now- will find me some friends instead...

BUMBLE!!! said...

But are the celebrities worse than teenagers out for their senior prom?

Donnetta Lee said...

JR: Hubby tells me he heard that one of the worst "tippers" at a restaurant was Bob Hope. Guess celebrity status doesn't spill over into tips. But think of all the great stories you gathered!
Donnetta

patterns of ink said...

I mentioned once that my brother used to teach in a correctional facility in Macomb County. He and I applied for work at Faygo (no jobs), so did you. And now get this. He used to drive a limo in his off hours. It's a small world. BTW, I did the math based on that prom post. We were in different high schools together. =) I did have some friends try to talk me into coming over to the east side of the state for our 30th reunion, but I missed it.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Interesting that you got to go to all those stripper joints!! Well, maybe you didn't go inside but you were near the action. I can't say that I've been to that many! I remember the wild days! Hey, I sent you an email. Good news! We can fire up the old rock-n-roll band since I found the "rock video" tape. I watched ~45 minutes and was laughing my butt off! Those were the days!! Will see you soon. --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

Brace yourself people! My bro has found our long lost rock videos that we made during our college days. Can you say, "You Tube?"

Anonymous said...

Hey, didn't I take those photos of you and the pooper scoopers this past weekend??? --Bro, Ron

Mr. "T" said...

T-N-T, I'm dynamite, T-N-T, I'm..... :)

Desirea Madison said...

What kind of businessmen make deals in establishments with cochroaches?

Donsie said...

Tippes from rich people!!?? Forget it... it is like that in any bussiness..

Bring on the video's!!!!!

Robin (Capitulation) said...

Very fine post, JR. These chauffeur stories are quite interesting, an experience most of us know nothing (or next to nothing) about.

Princess Extraordinaire said...

Your job as a chaffeur sounds facinating - I would have loved to be in the back seat of your car - oh did I really say that??

etain_lavena said...

eeeewwww...he had her and then wanted you to go at it too.....eeewwwwww......
your facial expressions are so funny:)

Charles Gramlich said...

Sometimes people get wealthy by being chintzy. They save every penny, including tips they should have given.

ghee said...

hahaha!thats funny!you are paid handsomely :)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I really love the scene at Dizzy Duck -- sad, funny, and poignant.

ivan said...

Josie,

I just had a flash.

What say we use Tom Moore's Labrador Retriever picture to issue JR the "Late Easter" Award
through Island Grove Press?

Seems the Lab went after the Easter Bunny. Seriously!

Tee hee.


Ivan

JR's Thumbprints said...

Desirea Madison,
To answer your question: A Detroit businessman.

Johnny Yen said...

In the restaurant business, a lot of celebrities are known for their sense of entitlement-- they expect that the restaurants and bars will comp their meals out of gratitude for gracing them with their presence.

The most notorious non-tipper in Chicago was Chicago Bull Scottie Pippen, who was universally known in the Chicago restaurant and bar industry as "No Tippin' Pippin."

Erik Donald France said...

These are fantastic -- love the details.