Tuesday, January 30, 2007

AWAITING TIMOTHY MCVEIGH'S SIGNATURE

An inmate tutor in my classroom drew the following diagram to illustrate how to make a bomb. He claims to have ties to the Michigan Militia. "I knew Timothy McVeigh personally," he said, as if this would validate his incomplete bomb making instructions.

His reference to McVeigh, a man who orchestrated the bombing of a United States Federal Building in Oklahoma City, did not impress me. I shrugged my shoulders. "Wasn’t he executed?" I asked.

"You don’t believe me, do you?" the inmate went on. "I have proof in the form of letters. I’ll bring them to you."

Whether he’s suffering from some sick delusional fantasy I’ll never know. And if he shows me these so-called letters, who’s to say the signatures aren’t forgeries? And why should I care any way? Will they give me more insight into McVeigh? Will they explain why he thought so many innocent people should die?

The inmate continued, "I knew Ted Nugent from my militia days. The guy's a lying punk-ass bitch motherf***ker. He said he never had ties to the militia and never did drugs."

Again, I shrugged my shoulders. Did he think knowing a former local celebrity and rock star would justify the right to bear arms, the right to belong to the militia? Don’t get me wrong—I’ve always felt that the day we give up our guns is the day we give up our freedom, but I’m not as passionate about it, I’m not willing to sacrifice innocent lives to prove my point. "I suppose you corresponded with the Motor City Madman too," I said.

"No," the inmate answered, "I saw him on the news once denouncing any affiliation with the Michigan militia. He’s a liar. He smoked pot with some fellow members. I was there. I saw it with my very own eyes."

One thing I’ve observed over the years teaching in prison is that there are no gray areas for the prisoners. Every issue is seen in black and white. You’re either wrong or you’re either right. "Let me see those letters," I said. Perhaps I’ll post their contents and let you be the judge. Perhaps I’ll scan McVeigh’s signature and let you decide whether the inmate’s claims are authentic.

On a different note: I saw "Freedom Writers" for free the other day. Excellent movie! It has inspired me to post more stories regarding my earlier days working as a teacher in the Michigan prison system. More to come.

14 comments:

Nosjunkie said...

I suppose that ones views on guns and militia differ from place to place.
I do think though that militia can be a good thing when its attentions are directed in the right direction and when its an orginised affair.
Militia had a great inpact on our countries history, they moved the Brits from our gold ritch land and ultimatly won our indipendance
I also know a little US history and as far as I know militia there kicked some British butt too
Modern malitia though is a joke.

ShadowFalcon said...

Seeing things in black and white, I think we are all guilty of that at time.

For example I can't imagine owning a gun, or living somewhere where they are common place...

etain_lavena said...

Here they have asked all citizens to go trough a grueling re-register of their firearms, if not you hand it in, and yesterday reported that guns handed in is used in more crimes(even police involved in these crimes)...and crime she is a climbing here, it so sad we have so much to offer. black and white is all we see, but I guess thats how you get brough up, we all know good and bad.... There is a song by live that I love to bits.it goes: This is not a black and white world.. the colours can swirl and we all can learn to appreciate the beauty of Grey.

B said...

I dropped in to say Hi. I'm From Benton Harbor Michigan. But live in Florida most of my life.
I'm BJ Scoggins
http://www.freewebs.com/friendsareagift

Irene said...

You really do have the most fascinating true-to-life stories to tell. Keep on sharing, JR!

Ellie said...

The inmate seemed to have wanted to impress you with all the name dropping he was doing, no? He is trying to feel important now that he has nowhere to go and nothing interesting to do.

islandgrovepress said...

I agree with Irene.

You are really starting to cook!

Ivan

Danny Tagalog said...

Keep on cooking J.R.

Anonymous said...

Name dropping is a common thing inside the walls. I call it "fishin espiditions." I like to tell them, "too bad you didn't know a good defense attorney." They usually respond, "What do you mean?" I tell them, "you are here and you have how much time to do? That usually stops the name droppin. Great post. MW

thethinker said...

I have heard so much about Freedom Writers but I never get the chance to go to the movies. I'll have to take your word that it's good.

Malinda777 said...

JR...do you realize you are in kind like a soldier? I always feel like I should thank you for your service to our country as you tolerate and deal with some of the sickest folks around. But, I love your stories.

My father worked for the Texas Correctional System, and I love his stories too, and am amazed that he remained out of jail for not ridding our society of some he had to control.

Also, on the other side of the coin, I actually employ a man that did 14 years behind bars. While a pretty good employee for me, from time to time I do see the "name dropping", "story telling", side of him. I always have to stop him and try inconspicously to bring him back to earth before I regret my choice to hire him three years ago :)

Keep up the good work.

geewits said...

If you were to get these letters, shouldn't you turn them over to the FBI? I imagine most prisoners are pathological liars but oddly enough I believe him about Ted Nugent. Or maybe I should say, I wouldn't be surprised.

Erik Donald France said...

Creepy but excellent tale. The UNAbomber is trying to block sale of his personal papers. Break out the violins. . .

The Michigan Militia has a calendar for sale -- "Militia Babes" or something like that. How nuts is that?

Anonymous said...

Jim, The Motor City Madman was my beer drinking buddy! Yeah right! I agree that once your an inmate, always an inmate! Name dropping is their calling. --Bro, Ron