Monday, January 22, 2007

STEPPING BACK INTO THE BLINDSPOTS

There are days where I feel like I’m retelling the same story, but I’m uncertain as to whether I’ve covered all the details, such as the yellow ribbon the state police used to cordon off the crime scene where a coworker had been sexually assaulted. Last week I was reminded of that detail when I attended a “Performance Learning Systems” conference at my previous place of employment. Marygrove College had been kind enough to hold a training session inside the prison; probably as a last ditch effort to drum up more business for their “Master in the Art of Teaching” program. Their sales pitch reminded me of the time a high school principal at Flint Beecher called to see if I’d be interested in teaching at their inner city school. “Recruiting in the prisons are we?” I said, implying that perhaps they couldn’t find anyone crazy enough to consider their offer. I already knew about how they couldn’t keep the laptops they assigned to their students from ending up in the pawnshops, how the media reported that some of the parents were pawning them to support their drug habits.

“This is where it happened,” I told my fellow coworker, showing him the corner room with only one small rectangular window on the door. After the investigation, the puzzle palace called Lansing, Michigan, released their findings. They claimed that the teacher had been negligent for leaving her PPD (Personal Protection Device) in her desk drawer and that custody staff did not make their rounds in a timely manner. Also, they alluded to the fact that the room was too dangerous to work in. I’m willing to bet no one in Lansing caught any flak for approving the design of the building. The blindspots became more evident as I, the outsider, had time to look about.

“When I worked here,” I told my fellow coworker, “administration reassigned this classroom to me. I guess they thought the room had magically become safe again.” I wanted to step back into that classroom and see the storage area where my coworker had been held hostage. I wanted to see if I’d missed any details. The best way to recall something is to be a part of it again, to experience it in your mind, to relive it, if only for a moment. Because of the training, I didn’t have time to go back.

I leave you with the following short story recommendation which was dedicated to the men at the Cotton Correctional Facility: Davy Rothbart’s “First Snow,” in Pieces: A Collection of New Voices. Davy’s come along way since his Ann Arbor days. His short stories continue to get better and better. Now, if only I could say the same for me.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot begin to imagine what your days must be like in that place.
I can imagine that its a skill in its own to walk the corridors there

Anonymous said...

I think your written work is excelent. You do not have to step down for Davy. If that was not true, people will not be coming back to your site.
Well written.

ivan said...

I forget who wrote "Blackboard Jungle", but I remember, considering the times, both book and movie were snappers.
Parallel universes?

Ah well.

Hell comes in various degrees.

Once, I lost all my money.

I would have been happy to teach anywhere, just to avoid that particular hell.

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

What a scary story about the storage unit! I'm totally with you on never remembering what I have written about -- it's a lot like my life, telling the same stories. Luckily, because of my southern background, I'm always thinking of slightly new details! And your writing is getting better and better!

Anonymous said...

Evan Hunter wrote Blackboard Jungle and I named my child Evan as I was reading it when he was born, liked the name and due (mostly) to the name's Welsh background.

You especially make me want to write more. I have so many pieces of dry academia to do, but I want to write short stories/pieces, and yours are inspiring me for use at a more opportune date. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to litter typos all over your page. I'm trying to lose this habit, but it's not working...

Anonymous said...

Gives new and scary meaning to "tie a yellow ribbon."

ivan said...

Danny Tagalog,
Thanks.
I'm going to re- read Evan Hunter
For style, Forties but professional and very tight.
He also had another novel about a junkie who thought he was just a tourist at the habit. Heh.
You want te write even better, JR.
Dust off old Evan Hunter.

Charles Gramich: Right on.

Ivan

Anonymous said...

Hey Thumbprints I think the blog is helping with your writing and you are putting out some nice work. I still believe you need to be connected to the fine arts and
should seek those groups that are connected. MW

ghee said...

I agree with you,RJ.
The best way to recall something is to be a part of it again, to experience it in your own way again and again.

H.E.Eigler said...

Oh, oh. Yours is the second mention of Yellow caution tape I've heard in the last 10 hours. Makes me worry there will be one more instance because, things tend to come in threes.

And thanks for the comment on my blog - I'll check that contest out.

Anonymous said...

Great scary details. Personal Protection Device, hmm. A way to beam out of any situation would be good. And poor Flint. What a sad place.

Anonymous said...

They claimed that the teacher had been negligent for leaving her PPD (Personal Protection Device) in her desk drawer. First, blame the victim, right?

We have a very strict working alone policy here where I work, but nothing is failsafe.

You're an excellent writer, JR (well, not that I'm a writer, but I am a reader) and I always enjoy your writing. And you have such a supply for your stories.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

"Now, if only I could say the same for me."

You may have ups and downs with your writing, but in my (humble) opinion, I think your short stories are good.

Cheri said...

Women, and men, can be sexually assulted anywhere, at any time, and the incident often falls onto the blind eyes of upper management.


Jim I don't comment much but I read your blog daily (or as often as you update) and I feel bad that I don't comment as much as I should. Sometimes there aren't words to say what I am feeling.

Laura said...

Your writing is good, please don't stop. I could never deal with the stuff you have to deal with on a daily basis. I commend you on your efforts.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Cheri,
By all means, feel free to leave a comment any time. I appreciate it. And that goes for the rest of you. Many many thanks.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I agree that your writing is getting better and better. Also, your movie making is headed in the right direction!!!! --Bro, Ron