Sunday, January 7, 2007

GETTING THE SHOWROOM READY

A prison classroom is often viewed as a factory, where the teacher is expected to meet the facility’s quota annually. I’ve found that “making quota” is a nice way to shoot yourself in the foot, especially since no matter how many GED’s you produce, Lansing is never satisfied. They want you to increase your numbers each year by some arbitrary number pulled out of a hat. Never mind that the Michigan Department of Corrections is losing teachers through attrition. Never mind the temporary set backs such as an illness or assault on a staff member. You are on the assembly line dammit, so why are you not producing?

Our yearly audit has been postponed thank God, however, soon we’ll have the leader of our state’s prison education system at our door, her staff asking questions, pulling files, demanding answers. And to be truthful—I have nothing to say that hasn’t been said before. Way back (November 8, 1995 to be exact), School Principal Tim Hogan defended us prison educators in regards to thirty-two contact hours per week with inmates. “What happens when they speed up the line in a factory?” he asked in his memorandum. “The workers try to keep up, but then they start making more mistakes, start getting frustrated, and eventually become less productive, and very, very angry. There are limits to what the human body and spirit can do. If the thirty-two hours is strictly enforced, the teachers will try to do their best, but they too will become frustrated and ultimately less productive.” Twelve years later and I can honestly say that Mr. Hogan’s prediction has hit the target dead center—a bullseye if I’ve ever seen one. Files are incomplete. Academic plotters vary from facility to facility. GED Scores get lost. The list goes on and on.

As for me, I’m starting out my week by cleaning house, by getting rid of the dead weight in my classroom. Our facility has gone from five academic teachers to the current low of two. We have a waiting list of students begging to be enrolled in school. I can’t see someone taking up space in my classroom. I’ve got my target group. I’ve had them sign on the dotted line when quarterly evaluations were due. There should be no surprises. I’m going to get that showroom back in order, just in time for our annual audit. Out with the old, and in with the new. And as usual, when the head honchos walk past my room with their clipboards in hand, I’ll say to the inmates, “Okay now, it’s time to put on a show,” and they will shine.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Just getting back into your blog after a week away. Nice photo of the "showroom". Also, like the saying, out with the old and in with the new. It's 2007 and a NEW YEAR! Time to start fresh and get on with the new things.... Keep going full steam ahead. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Surely if even one student passes and get there GED its all worth it?

Anonymous said...

God, I went through an audit just before break. You're right, it can stress you out, and it feels wrong.

No, shadowfalcon, you're thinking in human terms and the bureaucracy thinks in numbers. It's the whole accountability thing. I remember laughing when a school district in Michigan which had testing in the upper ninety percentile was marked as failing because it hadn't had enough annual yearly progress. Ninety-eight? Now give us Ninety-Nine. Now One Hundred. What then?

Anonymous said...

I would hope that just making a difference in the life of one person would be worth it...

Anonymous said...

That has got to be frustrating! You seem to handle it well, though I'm sure it takes its toll on you. Guess you've got to play the game, and try to make a difference as well.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I've always thought evaluations of any kind were stupid -- I or any other teacher can pull it together for one day if we need to. It's the ones like you, in the trenches, who really know what's going on and are doing the real work and know what can honestly be expected. Here's to hanging in there!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't everybody adores mindless bureacracy? I guess the crats like it, or are somehow mentally deficient and don't see the pointlessness.

Love the photo -- desolate and menacing like a David Lynch or Kubrick approach.

Laura said...

Maybe if the bureaucrats started thinking more in "human terms" and less about how everything looks on paper, there could be some great improvements made in the educational system as a whole.

Anonymous said...

Only two teachers? Geez..

The assembly line analogy is true for both teachers and students. When you try to work us too hard, too fast, you'll get a fair share more mistakes than actual work of quality.

Anonymous said...

When I studied for my GED back in 2001 my teacher was always overwhelmed with the amount of students, not enough time to teach us, nor did she feel there was enough money to run the program as she thought it needed to be run.

Many of her students were the kind who were in trouble with the law and/or were high school drop outs and they didn't want to be there, but were there to somehow stay out of jail/prison. We would later become friends and she would confide in me of the same sort of things you talk about in this post.

It takes a special kind of person to stick it out, no matter how frustrating and irritating things can be. My hat is off to people like you and my friend who stay the course.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

the assembly attitude is like some sort of virus in American institutions.

today in training for a new job, my new boss talked about how low our "days" could be...(won't bore you with details) every year the higher ups set a lower number as a goal. i made a comment that eventually, they would have to be satisfied because the days could only go so low...(they can't be 0 or less than 0)

she gave me a blank look like she didn't understand what i was saying.

(i shake my head and wonder when will the yuckity yucks understand....)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this and previous posts. I admire your ability to work with what must be a very difficult student body.

I teach at an "alternative" high school in Chicago. It's aimed at getting drop-outs back in school. For a significant portion of our student body, it was a court-mandated alternative to jail time or prison time. Like you, I find the bureaucracy to be working against me rather than with me. At a meeting today the staff (there are only six of us) were told by the principal that the director of the school, who has probably spent all of 2 hours in the school this semester, said we were doing a terrible job.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I will take your advice and bow out. Thanks. MW

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I remember that Dealer near my house. Well, it's not there anymore. Great post.