Monday, January 8, 2007

TAKING IT BUG BY BUG












Tomorrow I will give a presentation to eighty-some Science Olympiad coaches regarding the insect competition I’ll be coordinating this spring. Overwhelmed with information, a majority of the rookie coaches will beg for advice on how to approach the material. This year I’m going to read them an excerpt from Ann Lamott:

Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he’d had three months to write, which was due the next day. We were out at our family cabin in Bolinas, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead. Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother’s shoulder, and said, “Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird.”

Hopefully they’ll understand the message, that each child should have fun identifying the various insects and insect orders and to prepare ahead of time.

Tomorrow I will also lose thirty-pounds, put on a dress, and ride across the United States like Thelma or Louise, except instead of ending a troubled relationship, I’ll be heading straight toward resolving one. At least that’s my intention when I take on the House of Sternberg's latest writing assignment: Using a first person narrative from gender perspective opposite your own, write seven-hundred words about unrequited love using the title, “Head Rush.” Also, the character must have some deformity, imagined or otherwise.

Of course, neither task is related. That is to say, I will not be in drag singing show tunes at the Science Olympiad presentation. The second task is imagined; the first is real. Your comments will be greatly appreciated, especially on the writing assignment (and not on how you think I’d look in a skirt). Lastly, once my new writing assignment appears, the old one will self-distruct. Why? Because I’m reworking the story, taking the two dozen or so suggestions and reshaping and extending the fictional dream.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a cute picture! Good luck on the writing assignment.

Anonymous said...

And yes... it really is 2:20am... time has gotten away from me. Holy shit I should go to bed.

Thoreau said...

Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

Anonymous said...

I'm a spider fan myself :-)

jeannie said...

JR, your writing is awesome so I'm sure you'll come up with something award winning. Good luck with the Bugs & your (writing) homework. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh I might have to use that prompt as something to write just for "fun."

Great picture, and I love the Ann quote.

Michelle's Spell said...

I like the assignment -- it's the exact one that my old teacher Bill used to assign except we didn't have to switch genders, although we could. He'd written several stories with people missing body parts like hands. His fiction is tremendous -- if you haven't checked out The White Tattoo, I'll loan it to you!

Anonymous said...

It seems that we do, in fact, have a surname in common, my father is english and so thats where my lineage comes from.

Good luck with the dress. LOL

Isn't it funny that you can write a whole blog and the only thing that people pick up is that you want to wear a dress.

Anonymous said...

I hope the assigment goes well. Hmm...I think I want to write from the POV of a person with a deformity now. I've been inspired--it's a great assignment.

Anonymous said...

I hope the assigment goes well. Hmm...I think I want to write from the POV of a person with a deformity now. I've been inspired--it's a great assignment.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the assignment, and the Science Olympiad. I'm sure it will make for an exciting day. MW

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a fun writing assignment. That's definitely one where I'd would love to read the final results. Good luck!

Good luck with the Science Olympiad coaches, too.

-velvet

patterns of ink said...

Happy New Year to you, too. I loved your dad's wise words...so true. My dad also had a way of helping me think. "Dream Pony" is a story about it from November 2005:
http://patternsofink.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_patternsofink_archive.html

Jo said...

JR, good luck with the assignment and be sure to tell us all about it.

BTW, is that a separated at birth photo? Hah. Your pictures are always good for a chuckle.

Josie

Anonymous said...

What a hang-on-tight story! So fast that you had to hold your arms in for fear of them getting carried off by all the stationary objects! I faltered blindly through the Americanisms, but it only made the whole piece seem so much more in control of me ... like the author really knows about his subject.

If that's true, then I really feel for you - what a horrible series of circumstances the narrator finds herself trapped in - the pain so raw; so real.

Magnificent, highly sophisticated stuff!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh ... what a twonk! Wrong piece to comment on! Sorry

Anonymous said...

Jim, Ah yes. I remember last years extensive work on the SO preparations with the kids. It was ALL for the KIDS! Hmmm, I somehow miss it for this year. Well, maybe next year we'll give it another go. --Bro, Ron