Tuesday, January 16, 2007

VAGRANT VAGARIES & BEING POWERLESS

After the lions had returned to their cages, creeping angrily through the chutes, a little bunch of us drifted away and into an open doorway nearby, where we stood for a while in semidarkness, watching a big brown circus horse go harumping around the practice ring.
—E.B. White “The Ring of Time”

After one month of training at the DeMarse Academy in Lansing, Michigan—more appropriately known as the school for the blind, a place Stevie Wonder once attended—and after years of observation (otherwise known as “looking the other way”), I have learned the art of spin. Rule Number One (actually it’s the only rule): When an inmate complains about something, place the blame directly on his shoulders or let him talk until he’s tired of listening to himself.

Our former quartermaster knew all to well how to play this game:

A rather large inmate stretched a pair of thirty-two inch underwear across his waistline. “Do these look like they fit?” he asked.
“No they don’t,” the quartermaster answered.
“Then why are you giving them to me?”
“Look,” the quartermaster explained, “I only process and fill the orders. You wrote thirty-two’s on your form. Maybe you like wearing your underwear tight.”

Or the classic dialogue I’ve been known to use on the low-functioning inmates that bitch about my never scheduling them for the GED Exams:

“You better put me down this time or I’m going to the school principal to lodge a complaint.”
“You want me to put you down?” I ask.
“Yes,” I hear.
“Okay, you’re ugly.”

Or the inmate who discovers that I may have spun him one time too many:

“You tricked me,” he says.
“No I did not,” I reply. “If I wanted to trick you, I would’ve made you wear a wig and a butt-thong and had you prancing down Woodward Avenue.”

In our service-oriented McPrison industry, our customers are always complaining. They’ll say stuff like: “If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have a job.” Little do they know, there are plenty of fools in the world ready to join the circus.

Speaking of complaints, after phoning Detroit Edison, they paid us a visit to look at our extremely low wires. They informed us that our telephone pole, erected in 1942, is leaning towards our house and may need to be replaced. Also, they said our neighbor’s trees will need to be cut down. Hopefully I won’t be powerless. Where would I be without it?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ugly - nice its safer then going in for a really bad put down.

Michelle's Spell said...

I love the humor of this post, Jim. Here's to not losing any power ever!

Anonymous said...

It sucks to lose power. I don't need the TV or anything but heat and lights at night and the fridge would be nice... hehehe

ghee said...

haha!thats funny JR!now i learned how to put a woman down: "you`re ugly!"LOL!

thanx for the sense of humour...though I could sense how hard you handle the inmates :)

Anonymous said...

“You better put me down this time or I’m going to the school principal to lodge a complaint.”
“You want me to put you down?” I ask.
“Yes,” I hear.
“Okay, you’re ugly.”

Man, that was like lobbing an easy one to Sammy Sosa at bat.

"may" need replacing? Sounds like your electic company are masters of the understatement.

Anonymous said...

Now, JR, if you were only an action hero you'd be able to do back flips through those low hanging wires without touching a one.

Anonymous said...

The circus is a good description.
Have to include staff as well.
Looking for clarification on your adultery/life in prison post. Or was it artistic license? MW

Laura said...

I love the put down part of this post. Very funny. As for those low wires, not so funny. I hope you don't lose power or worse yet, I hope that leaning pole doesn't fall on your house!

Anonymous said...

If you do become powerless, what will all your blog readers do?

For our sake, get those wires fixed!

Anonymous said...

Funny. I am not sure if you live in Detroit proper, but if you do, I feel for you regarding the power situation. The power grid there is insane, sometimes feeling like a patchwork quilt.

I lived on the northwest side, and it always stunned me how often the power went out. And as luck would have it, it always seemed to affect our side of the block and not the people across the street.

And your insults were great. Working with kids, I have to bite my lip and turn away. I envy the freedom to give wit free rein.

Anonymous said...

(Chuckling)...

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, How are you ????
I m JK from Heaven of Laughter, where we strive to get the maximum laughter on no cost.
We believe that laughter should be in our daily life without considering the stress.
So guys, we have collected some of the best sites who are supporting our mission to get laughter in our lives.

www.smsNjoke.com
A huge collection of SMS, Jokes, Quotes, Oneliners, Shayari, Shayeri, Post your jokes, Post your SMS, SMS to india, Sms to Pakistan, SMS world Wide

www.bhotuShahJi.com
Punjabi Comedian Bhotu Shah ji with A huge collection of SMS, Jokes, Quotes, Oneliners, Shayari, Shayeri, Post your jokes, Post your SMS, Dedicate SMS to your friends, SMS to india, Sms to Pakistan, SMS world Wide

www.JugnuMastMast.com
Punjabi Comedian Bhagwant Mann ji with A huge collection of SMS, Jokes, Quotes, Oneliners, Shayari, Shayeri, Post your jokes, Post your SMS, Dedicate SMS to your friends, SMS to india, Sms to Pakistan, SMS world Wide

www.smsANDjoke.com
A huge collection of SMS, Jokes, Quotes, Oneliners, Shayari, Shayeri, Post your jokes, Post your SMS, Dedicate SMS to your friends, SMS to india, Sms to Pakistan, SMS world Wide

www.BiboBhua.com
hahhah... Only punjabis can understand what BIBO BHUA is !!! ahahhaha.. Total Laugh no Stopage. Hillarious Jokes without any limit.

www.Cellstore.in
Cell Store for All your Needs... Buy cell Phone, Ringtones, Reviews, News and Lot more..

www.FreeVisaGuidance.com
Immigration, visa, Free Visa Gudiance for All People. Post your Question and Get Free Response.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Yes there are plenty fools around who are willing to join the circus. Great analogy. Watch those power lines. What would we do if your power went out? (I.e. no more JR blogging???). --Bro, Ron