Monday, January 29, 2007

TIME ONCE UPON US



Inspired by the Governor of California and Tookie Williams.










These children's books they sell
inject you with their murderous grip.
Pages flutter yonder;
mob your throat.

Quick, here's a ladle, start scooping,
spoon your Cheerios Little Boy Blue,
there's no time for perusing:

Twinkling shooting stars
dodging bullets
like a virgin
scathed and snuffed.

Scan the headlines:

Most Celebrated
death row inmate
put to death
.

Makes sense doesn't it?

When you're unforgiving,
when the ink rubs off
and you finish your tea
and you ride into the sunset
on your unregistered motorbike
a sidecar, an outlaw, an accident
a big fat lip.

Presenting:
Politics and Hollywood
Crips and Bloods and Big Dippers
touched and terminated for the very first time.

Put to bed
they'll be back

once upon us.

8 comments:

etain_lavena said...

Soooo GOOD, but so true....Kids know about hate/violence/murder/and all the jukky stuff before they can even talk properly...my friends kids are not allowed to watch news...so we watch Barbie Pegasus alot...;)

ShadowFalcon said...

Well I wasn't expecting that.

Keep going JR

Lives of the Poets said...

I swear the guy with the gun looks like M.L. Leibler.

Charles Gramlich said...

I wouldn't let my son watch violent TV when he was young. But I did let him visit his friend down the street who was his age, and whose parents seemed much like us. Turns out, they let their son watch anything he wanted, however, and Josh got to see it all too.

Anonymous said...

The poem looks like Dylan lyrics.
Nice work. MW

Anonymous said...

I agree, this poem looks like lyrics out of a song!! I love the photo too. You sure that's not you behind the pea shooter?? --Bro, Ron

thethinker said...

I'm really liking the poetry readings. Keep 'em coming.

Christina said...

Nice poem. I have to say that it took me to the age of 23 to be unbothered by violence, but that is violence in horror films or novels. Violence in films like "Lord of War" still disturbs me.

What is up with the Jackass movies though? I feel like I missed something in pop culture that would have made this funny. Alas, I just felt really sick.