Thursday, February 1, 2007

STANDING AND DELIVERING WHAT?



If you work for an institution, whatever your job, whatever your level, be yourself when you write. You will stand out as a real person among the robots.

—William Zinsser

In the United States, whether sports or movies, most people root for the underdog. In “Stand and Deliver,” a movie I hadn’t seen since before DVD, I had whole-heartedly approved of Edward James Olmos’s portrayal of Jaime Escalante, a real life mathematics teacher from East Los Angeles’s Garfield High School.

From what I had remembered, Mr. Escalante had the insurmountable task of teaching Hispanic students from an economically impoverished community AP Calculus. Initially he was hired as a Computer Science teacher, however, the school did not procure the necessary funds for equipment, which in turn meant that he would have to settle for teaching Math 1A (Basic Math).

Mr. Escalante accepted the change in subject matter, proving that he could easily adapt. Consequently, if the class name were any indication, his new employer gave him their low-track math students. Undeterred by this, Mr. Escalante felt he could do more than teach introductory mathematics courses. He wanted to prepare his students for college by teaching them higher level mathematics. He set his standards much higher than his colleagues, standards that seemed unfathomable to some of the parents, standards that, at one point, deeply offended the head of the mathematics department. From the viewpoint of Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological Theory, Mr. Escalante had to influence the existing culture to change their perception of education. He had to make a social impact on the students’ families, peers, the school system, and the neighborhoods. In true underdog fashion, once Mr. Escalante accomplished his goals, he had to deal with a national testing agency (macrosystem) that accused his students of cheating on a standardized test.

I did not agree with all his actions, but I do understand how his tactics could motivate adolescents. His sarcasm and name-calling may turn off some students or lead to negativity; but his altruistic intentions seem to negate or override any hostility. If, on the other hand, he were teaching elementary grade school children, his verbal bantering and cajoling would be totally inappropriate.

His use of math manipulatives—using apples for an introduction to fractions and using his fingers to demonstrate multiplication facts—are interesting techniques for attracting attention to his subject matter. Also, his ability to focus in on a classroom ruffian (played by Lou Diamond Phillips) and challenge his intellectual skills demonstrates how serious of an educator Mr. Escalante is. If you can get the least likely student to cooperate, then the rest of the class will tow-the-line. Mr. Escalante took a gamble with this student, creating a win or lose situation. Further evidence of his altruistic endeavor is depicted in a later scene when he allows this student three textbooks so he can protect his tough Chicano image. In exchange for the favor, Mr. Escalante is promised cooperation in class. I believe teachers need to be flexible with the students, and this scene shows a willingness to help a student learn even if it means breaking a rule.

As far as teaching methods, Mr. Escalante’s fill-in-the-hole analogy for adding positive and negative integers is a clever way of getting his students to visualize a key algebraic concept, and his ability to tie in the concept of zero with their heritage (Mayan Culture) is brilliant—it generates a natural curiosity among them. Once he wins over their admiration, he is able to get them to repeat multiplication rules for reinforcement and to use ritualistic chants and handclapping so they’ll stay academically alert.

In one scene, he invents an application problem where Pedro has five girlfriends, Carlos has one less than Pedro, and the Gigolo has … need I go any further. The story problem is blatantly sexist, but entertaining to the class. While the administration is tolerant of his story problem (he teasingly asks the school principal and head of the math department whether he can get some gigolos for a demonstration), he at this point is not being a good role model. In another scene, he indirectly questions a student’s sexual orientation because of his late arrival for class. Unfortunately, his chastising comments get the better of him in a later scene. He steps way over the line when he tells a female student that she has more boyfriends than Elizabeth Taylor. He is using a student’s personal life as classroom fodder and he should not be doing this. His determination to see his students succeed has, at times, made him lose sight of their individual identities. He is not a bad teacher; he is a driven teacher. Outside the school, he pleads with a father who owns a restaurant to let his daughter continue her studies, and he schedules a field trip for his students to show them where calculus is applied in the real world.

The first time I viewed “Stand and Deliver” I didn’t give much thought to Mr. Escalante’s interaction with his students. I was caught-up in his one-man crusade. I was cheering for the underdog, whom, against all odds, would achieve his goal. After the second viewing, I became more aware of the students’ socioemotional needs. Ironically, I’ve done some of the very same things Mr. Escalante has done in his classroom.

15 comments:

etain_lavena said...

I am sure if a teacher shows a keen interest in a child and try to help them and delight them with what they need to learn...it will work. Ok I was a teacher for one year, 21 in an all Boys school was an horrid experience....all the 17 year olds tried their best to get me to go out with them. Even got felt up in the corridor once....never walk in a swarm of boys(tip for the day)....Interresting take on the movie....I will always vote for the underdog myself.

Michelle's Spell said...

Good points about teaching, Jim, as always! I like where I teach --I think it suits my personality as much as anything could. Except the Citadel, of course -- NOT! As Billy Bob says in U-Turn, I think I'll stick with what I got.

Anonymous said...

After seeing Freedom Writers the comparisons are unique. It looks like he pushed the envelope, took more risks? Maybe not always for the benefit of his students?
Another news flash: Jack is back wanting to close all the prison schools. However, he thinks your doing a great job.Invite him to the graduation. MW :)

Charles Gramlich said...

I liked this movie when I saw it, but it's been years. William Zinsser is probably my favorite writer writing on writing, by the way. His "On Writing Well" is a masterpiece.

JAM said...

I really like the William Zinsser quote, but I've never read On Writing Well. I finished Writing Your Life by Mr. Zinsser on Tuesday. Wonderful, especially helpful for blogging, thought it wasn't written about blogging.

Really good post, I've never seen this movie, and will have to add if to the NetFlix list.

As a student, I LIKED learning, and always responded better to the carrot than the stick, though in his situation, I guess he did what he could.

Laura said...

I can't recall ever seeing the movie, but it sounds really good. I always root for the underdog too. Teaching high school students is a difficult task, but if the teacher is passionate about their job, they can usually find a way to get through to the students.

Stewart Sternberg said...

In most educational seminars I've been too a tremendous amount of attention has been directed toward helping students develop a real life application approach. Even in English.

At one seminar they brought out a McDonalds handbook, and a few others, and pointed out the importance of students being able to read and understand them.

"English must be functional."

Yeah, well...

I have found though that my kids respond well when they can relate their learning to what is happening in other spheres of their lives. In economics I've had them research how a barrel of oil is broken up, how the price of gas is determined, etc.

Ellie said...

I'm no teacher by any means, but I have taught Sunday School classes for a couple of years and the thing that I figured out was connecting with the kids in a way they could understand the topic. Make them "feel the lesson". I would bring in props and food and every day stories to go with the subject on hand. The other Sunday School teachers go by the book and most of them admitted to not even looking at the lesson before Sunday morning. I have no formal education for teaching, but many a kid told me that I was the "best" Sunday School teacher they ever had. Not tooting my own horn here because there is nothing to toot. I was just able to relate a bit, I guess. I like the description of the teacher you were talking about. He thought outside the box, was a bit controversal but connected with his students. Great story.

Jo said...

JR, I remember that movie. It was excellent. I like any of those sorts of movies (did you ever see Blackboard Jungle?) Teaching is a very under-rated profession. I have seen good teachers turn kids' lives completely around. And I have seen poor teachers completely let their students down.

Another good photo, by the way.

Josie

Danny Tagalog said...

Thanks for this - I'll seek this out. To motivate does entail entering a students personal realm at times, but that teacher does sound like he spent a little too much time offside...

Bird on a Wire said...

I remember watching "Stand and Deliver" in a high school Spanish class. If I remember correctly, Edward James Olmos gave a wonderful performance.

ghee said...

I havent seen the movie yet so i didnt read the details,i should watch it by myself :)

but i do agree with William Zinsser..
thats what im trying to do :)if we can say,blogs are writings,too :)

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim, still haven't seen this one, but loved your post about it (and the comments). And I always like reading the word "ruffian."

R's Musings said...

Hi, Jim. I remember liking this film when I saw it years ago. A motivated teacher can certainly have an impact on his/her students. Have you ever seen Kevin Kline in "The Emperor's Club?" That was another good movie about a teacher and his students, sort of like "Dead Poets Society."
-Robin

Anonymous said...

Jim, I can't recall that I ever saw this movie. I do know that a teacher who is more involved and really comes to reality in teaching, can connect more with the students. --Bro, Ron