Thursday, January 4, 2007

LESS IS MORE, MORE OR LESS

"The short story is written in a manner similar to the way it's read, which is all at once. At some point in a short story, the writer sits down and writes it all the way through from beginning to end. Whether it's on the eleventh draft or on the first draft, there's a wholeness to it, a momentum to it, a seeing of it all the way through."
--Lorrie Morrie,
author of Birds of America

I received an interesting e-mail the other day from Flashquake inviting me to enter their "Less Is More" micro-fiction contest which, by the way, happens to be free. They're looking for complete stories that have clear characters, a conflict, and a setting, and--get this--you must do it within 100 words. For more information go to http://flashquake.org . There's something about getting straight to the point, the heated argument, and quickly satisfying the reader by sprinting to the finish line that I find challenging. I've already sent them one micro-fiction story titled "Hurt's Proposition," and I'm working on another one. Hey, there's money to be won here!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go on post the micro fiction here and we can all enjoy

Anonymous said...

hmm... I'm not sure that I could do it in 100 words. I'm a very wordy person. Maybe I should give it a try though!

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up! I love the Lorrie Moore quote. Her book, Self-Help, is one of my favorite short story collections. I love minimalism because of my nature (it's my most natural way of writing), but it's a difficult form. Good luck in the contest, not that you'll need it!

Anonymous said...

Blimey: 100 words fiction! That's a proper challenge!

By the way: I don't know if you are familiar with writer Ian McMilllan, but on BBC Radio 3 - he (and some professor) is starting a six part creative writing series today (22:00-22:15 - UK time - on Radio 3). Each programme can be accessed for a week I believe.

Only 15 minutes long, and free too:)

Unsure if he is looking at 'short stories' in particular though...

Cheers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/writinglab/pip/858gf/

Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck, Jim! With the sage advice of another writer, I've managed to compress from seventeen page stories to two page ones, but 100 words? What the hell, what the heck -- why not? It's either flashy or poetry ;)

Onward, 'E p.s. Lorrie Moore rocks. She's quite an attractive woman, too.

Anonymous said...

You teach writing....so I would like your opinion...
What is the difference between 100 words and 100 words which are a short story?? I guess I should check out the entries on that website and find out.

Anonymous said...

Nice post JR and good luck with the
contest.MW

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim,
Love that Lorrie Moore quote. A lot of truth to it, eh? I've been avoiding short stories for some time now, in favor of poetry, but 100 words sounds like a great challenge! Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey M,
"100 Words" is just that--100 words. "100 words which are (is) a short story" is wishful thinking, hoping it meets all the criteria of a short story. I'd rather call it a 100-word short story, more or less.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Good luck on your 100 word story participation event. You'll win!!! --Bro, Ron