Tuesday, January 23, 2007

TWO ELEVATOR STORIES

I’m an elevator boy
just trying to get to the top
of life.

—Sprung Monkey’s “Swirl”
— from Surf Dog Records

I’m not too sure where I heard this story or whether I have all the facts straight, but I’ll retell it anyway. A famous black athlete stepped into an elevator at some ritzy hotel and as soon as the doors slid closed, he noticed a white middle-aged woman all by her lonesome tightly clutching her purse. She deliberately avoided making eye contact with him out of fear. I believe he said, “Hello. How are you today?” —perhaps to get her attention, to ease her uneasiness, perhaps he thought his wealth and fame would set him apart from her perception of other black men. However, she did not recognize him, nor did she answer his question. In fact, at the sound of his baritone voice, she stiffened up and hurriedly inched forward, closer to the metallic doors, waiting for the slightest opening to escape his presence.

Now don’t get me wrong, famous athletes (no matter what origin of race) have their own personal demons—don’t we all?—but if she had only looked up she may have noticed that her fears were ungrounded. That is, unless the athlete happened to be Charles Barkley spewing racist venom, or Mike Tyson whining in that tenor voice of his about how she asked for it, or O.J. Simpson talking about his latest golf outing, or Kobe Bryant staring and smiling, or even some unruly white boys from the Duke University Lacrosse Team bragging about their sexual conquests. But the man in question, if I have my story straight, was Michael Jordan.

When I first started working in a prison setting, I wheeled a cart of GED books from my Level II classroom on the second floor to my Level IV classroom on the first floor. The reason for having two different classrooms seemed simple enough: Level IV’s were a higher security risk, and in case of an emergency, the corrections officers could respond faster. In hindsight, this shouldn’t have mattered; it had been a Level II inmate who sexually assaulted a coworker. On the day that I stepped onto an elevator with two black inmate tutors that looked like they were chiseled from granite, they reminded me that I had let my guard down, that no matter how big of a hurry I was in, I should’ve thought about my choices before going into action. As soon as the doors closed, Mr. Robinson, the larger man wearing mirror shades and dangling a toothpick from his mouth, said, “Do you think this was a good idea?” I had been sandwiched between the two of them with my cart blocking my point of egress. They laughed at my predicament and promised that they’d make sure nothing happened to me. I, in turn, said, “You guys are so full of shit. Don’t act like you’re doing me any favors.” But we both understood what needed to be done from that moment forward: I’d take the elevator and they’d take the stairs.

Yesterday, an inmate, unhappy with the parole board’s decision to flop him, assaulted one of the officers I work with. He punched the officer in the face and stabbed him with a pen. Remember: there are hazards with any job, some more than others.

17 comments:

kimber the wolfgrrrl said...

Yeow, that's quite the story..... my little college library now seems so sedate and quiet!

Thanks for visiting, and thanks for the words of congrats. I hope you enjoy the music!

Anonymous said...

O me gosh JR....my perception of black men was recently changed by a wonderful black guy...in our country we have a free democracy and bla bla yada yada....but we all still live in great fear of each other.
Gosh you are a brave man, for doing the work you do....good on you!!

Anonymous said...

I never knew lifts could tell you so much...

Poor Michael Jordan and anyone else that kinda stuff happens to...

Anonymous said...

I must Add to etains comment.
In our country 2 out of every 3 woman will be a victim of rape and your storie made me realise something els
The state that my counrty is in has turned me into an ever vigilant pecemist.
I never enter a lift if the people in it are men, black or white.
I hate empty stare wells and we dont walk anywhere.
in some way we live in a prison too

Anonymous said...

I once had a student visit my office during finals and tell me, "You know, I like you, Doc. If I ever call your answering machine and tell you not to come in that day, make sure you don't."

KaraMia said...

I work in a courthouse and every once in awhile will take the freight elevator. On this particular day a gaurd got in with six male inmates. Granted they were chained...but it would have taken nothing for the chain to have gone around me....I take the regular elevators now...lol. Sometimes we get used to our suroundings to easily.

Anonymous said...

I believe that's an urban legend, and it varies which black celebrity depending on who's telling the story. It often ends with the celebrity sending the woman a bouquet decorated with hundred-dollar bills.

My aunt once told me that same story, and how it happened to a "friend of a friend." In her version, the celebrity was Eddie Murphy.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hot damn Bird on a Wire,
I think you're correct. I'll ask around. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Great post JR. I enjoyed your story and comments. MW

Anonymous said...

I am speechless. I honestly can't say it's the color of someone's skin that will make me clutch my purse a little tighter. In reality it's the total package. Sure if a black/white/whatever man got into an elevator with just me but he was dressed in a buisness suit I wouldn't be nervous, on guard but heck Im in NYC.. now if the same white,black, whatever *(please don't take offense to the whatever )* and they were dressed like houdlums trust me.. I would have put my back to the wall and kept my eyes focused on the buzzer!

Now if I was you... working where you are...I would have had a heart attack and died! I imagine I would not make a good prison guard, teacher, doctor, nurse or whatever!

All the best! And please don't get on another elevator like that... make an excuse and get on the next one with a guard or two! We would miss you if anything happened to you!

~M

Anonymous said...

Jim, an erie story. It's something to think about even though we may be so accustomed to our surroundings. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Where I work we aren't allowed to get on an elevator with inmates, not even the deputies. Good story!

Laura said...

I think women in general feel vunerable enclosed on her own in an elevator with a man she doesn't know. It really doesn't matter what color they are or things like that. The point is your all alone with no escape and now-a-days, that can be a very scary feeling.

Anonymous said...

A fresh reminder for me why I dislike getting into an elevator.

I pray God keeps you safe in that job of yours! I almost shuddered reading this post.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the inmate proved that the board made the right decision.

It's funny-- when I first got out of college, I worked at a restaurant in downtown Chicago. Michael Jordan, who was a young rookie, was a regular (he in fact met his now ex-wife there), and people flocked in to see him. I'd had the thought back then that a lot of these same yuppies would cross the street if they saw any other black male his size walking down the street.

Anonymous said...

I would imagine you have some sort of self-defence training don't you?

Anonymous said...

Scary- how did you ever decide to work at a jail? is that a job that is posted or you get assigned to it? Don't get me wrong, my stupid little brain can be very naive and clueless sometimes.