Wednesday, January 3, 2007

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE

“The elderly are us, grown old, and their lessons for survival, even renewal, are our only preparation for the future.”
—Peter Stine, Editor of Witness

A majority of the inmates do not like the new 2007 version of me, preferring the older 2006 model, and suspected something might be slightly askew when they read the following question on my classroom board: Will the new year be the same as the old year? First, they protested that I no longer handed out full-length sheets of writing paper. Some even mumbled the following, “He’s a straight-up asshole.” Not that I needed to explain myself, but from past observations, the classroom assignments were not being completed. Instead, the paper was used for doodling on, writing rap lyrics, or writing letters home. Prisoner Brown went so far as to say, “I should write a grievance on you for not allowing us to do our work on regular sized paper.”

Before I could address his complaint, I told him to sit in a chair and not on the table. He’d been rather cantankerous since being released from segregation and refused to move. I said, “If, when you were in isolation, they brought you your food and instead of eating it, you chose to sling it at a corrections officer, it wouldn’t be long and you’d be getting your proper nutrients presented to you in a slightly different form.” He understood what I meant. Per policy, an inmate can not be denied a well-balanced meal. Thus, in this type of scenario, his food (perhaps a ham and cheese sandwich, cole slaw, and chips, with a glass of milk) would be mixed together in a blender and baked into a nice solid cake commonly known as nutriloaf. “I suggest you quit complaining, take the two half-sheets of paper, find a chair to sit in, and get to work.”

He refused to budge.

I told him about my younger days as a lifeguard. In order to pass my Water Safety Class and get a job as a lifeguard, I had to prove that I could rescue the instructor from the deep end of the pool. Not an easy task. He’d pull your hair, pinch you, choke you, and do whatever he could to stay above the water. But if you practiced the proper life saving techniques none of those things would occur.

“It’s like this Mr. Brown,” I said, “I’m not going to let you get a hold of me. I’m going to dive under water, spin you around, and ride-out your resistance. In fact, I’m going to bring you ashore alive, exhausted, and gasping for air ... or dead, your lips purple, your lungs full of water. Your choice.”

He smiled, and I decided to carefully bring him ashore.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The threat of the nutriloaf wasn't enough then!!?

Still, I'm sure the new policies will have an effect on your students.

I look at mine - willing absorbers of facts, and think myself lucky, despite missing the presence of rogue elements and more outwardly displayed character.

That said: I'm unsure how I'd act in such a situation...

Anonymous said...

I'd rather eat.

I like the lifegaurd metaphore.

Anonymous said...

Love the lifeguard analogy and your refusal to be intimidated!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a dose of tough love, or just firmness, when needed.

Laura said...

Nutriloaf!! I don't think so. Great story. I love the way you used the lifeguard story to bring home your meaning to the problem prisioner in your classroom.

Anonymous said...

New year, new policies, new jim. I like it. I like the lifeguard analogy.

Anonymous said...

Nice allegory. But it was predictable. Can you do one where they just drown and you don't save em? Huh, can yah? Or better yet... They choked to death on their nutriloaf? Oh by the way, I will be voting for your blog in the best new blog category. Shazzzam!!!

MW :-)

Michelle's Spell said...

As a lifeguard, I can totally understand this post. Love the ending, Jim. Very smart and funny!

Anonymous said...

Nice one! You really do have a knack for saying/writing the right stuff at the right time!

My hat is off to you.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Great analogy. When the instructor pinched and pulled at you, were you allowed to pinch and pull right back?

Jo said...

That's a really great analogy. And it looks as if it wasn't lost on the prisoner.

Where DO you get your photographs. They're always good for a giggle.

Cheers,
Josie

JR's Thumbprints said...

No, Thinker, you gotta play by the rules--no pinching. And yes, Josie, all photos of yours truly are laughable, which in turn means I can find them just about anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Jim, "How to save a life...." I remember getting my water safety card and trying out to be a life guard. Not a easy task. Yes, they can pull your hair and suck you under but you are to take control of them in the water!! Great post. --Bro, Ron