Friday, January 26, 2007

FIRST SNOW


















We’ve had our share of red tags quietly observing and learning the policies and procedures at our facility. Their silence is often mistaken for nervousness, as if they’re walking on eggshells. And why not? They’re an easy mark for the inmates. In case you didn’t know, a red tag is a rookie corrections officer, the nickname originating from the nametags they must wear on their uniforms. It’s a natural progression based on how much time they’ve put in; After a red tag comes a green tag then a black tag. It’s protocol for custody staff. I’ve often wondered why non-custody staff, such as myself, haven’t had to follow suit?

Some of our most memorable moments are when we experience something for the very first time. I remember my first day in a prison, I was with a group of non-custody staff, and the facility trainer paraded us around each unit, showing us off to all the inmates. It was fairly obvious the inmates were watching us, trying to figure out who we were and whether they’d be able to mess with our heads. It wasn’t until years later that I’d call a prisoner a “clear tag” if he inadvertently snitched on another prisoner. “Alright then,” I’d say loudly while clicking my ball-point pen, “give me names.” Offering up too much information usually leads to trouble. After so many years, the older inmates know how to interact and work with the senior staff. Together, we observe the newer, younger kids, eighteen, nineteen years old, playing the part of fools. Someone needs to teach them a lesson. That’s when we play our roles, that’s when we work together for the common good of teaching the youngsters how to do time.

After our first real snow in southeastern Michigan, I walked through the prison mall area, exchanging barbs with someone who completed my class seven months ago. “I see you’re putting that GED to good use,” I said. The inmate cussed at me and kept shoveling the walkway.

Speaking of novices, tomorrow, with the help of my brother, I shall do another poetry reading on YouTube. Sometimes first acts are hard to follow. I'll give it my best.

Oh, and here's a shout out to that DuPont gal in Texas, "Your girls have been notified."

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, as always.

I just had to come over here and tell you, I mis-interpreted your Grover Cleveland comment yesterday. I thought you had known that my previous blog, which I had to delete, as you know, had also been chosen as Bestest Blog over on Bobby Griffen's site when I still had it. So, I thought you had known that and were referring to that...I guess, knowing you...I should have known what you were referring to, but I messed up on that one!

I am glad you stop by on my ~Weekend Wink~ posts and go visit the other people who get a ~wink~. So nice of you. Maybe one day I can do reruns on my ~winks~ and give your blog another ~wink~. :)

Have you linked up with Bestest Blog? I only linked up with him barely two weeks ago and presto!, I get an email from Bobby saying I was his blog's bestest blog for Friday! (I had over 600 hits yesterday alone!) I think you would get a lot of attention over there if you linked up with him, your blog is interesting and has great content...oh, I better shut up, you already know how I feel about your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thank you for coming by the blog. I was very pleased and surprised by the *weekend wink* I received. I have enjoyed looking through your blog. I will be by again for sure!

Anonymous said...

(-: Good luck with the poetry reading. I don't have sound on my computer so I won't be able to hear it but maybe I will be able to read your lips. (-:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Ellie,
Your interpretation was half correct; my Grover Cleveland comment had dual meaning. As for Bestest Blog, I've been linked since May 2006; however, I'm under "Funny" blogs and I'm not always funny.

Anonymous said...

Bestest Blog? Never heard of it. Will have to check it out. Your comment to the inmate "using his GED" reminds me of points I've made to my son and other 19-20 somethings.

Anonymous said...

"Offering up too much information usually leads to trouble" -- truer words were never written. Another post that gives a visceral glimpse into another world. Cheers'

Anonymous said...

Great post. Will be waiting to see your You-tube post.MW

Michelle's Spell said...

Great insights into the horrors of human nature, Jim! Hey, where's that poem? Your fans await!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've heard "offering up too much information, too." That's usually how we deal with our customers at my place of employment.

I'm looking forward to catching your YouTube poetry reading!

Laura said...

No matter what your state in life, it is the elders who have the responsiblity to "teach" the younger generations. I guess this even applies to inmates in a prison cell. By the way, I love the picture. You guys are so cute.

ivan said...

The children are darlings.
Like my own grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine working in a prison. Everytime I read about your work it feels like a car crash for me. My chest tightens and I swear I don't breath till I am done with your post. Your stress levels must sky rocket... I know mine do when I read this.

I am not even there and I am in fear for you... Are you afraid? You don't ever sound like you are... but I wonder how creepy it must be. The horrors you must have seen.

I think I need a valium or a lot less caffeine!

All the best and please keep safe! ~M

Anonymous said...

Together, we observe the newer, younger kids, eighteen, nineteen years old, playing the part of fools. Someone needs to teach them a lesson. That’s when we play our roles, that’s when we work together for the common good of teaching the youngsters how to do time.

This is so so sad!!!!....so young, their lives haven't even started yet!

Anonymous said...

Jim, More, more..... Great picture of you and I!!!!! --Bro, Ron