Wednesday, January 24, 2007

THE FLYING NUN














When my very first boss with the Michigan Department of Corrections asked if I’d like a classroom volunteer, I hesitated answering. “I’m sure she could help the guys with their writing skills,” she said.

I had heard horror stories about volunteers gaining access to the inside of a prison so they could perform extra-curricular activities during those rare unsupervised moments. “I’m not sure it’s worth the headache,” I responded.

For some reason though, my boss sounded enthusiastic about it. She proceeded to tell me that the woman was a nun and a former writer for “The Flying Nun” television series.

I had visions of a young, spunky Sally Fields soaring through the air during the opening credits, but as far as a story line, nothing seemed to surface. Still, a former writer for television volunteering in my classroom?-- seemed too good to be true. I changed my mind, “Sure, why not.”

On the first day in my class she sat among the inmates, freely dispensing sound advice on their essays while I worked with a few guys at the chalkboard. My classroom has never been a quiet place to study; instead, everyone interacts while doing their work. “Books are dead,” I’d often say. “But the people in here are not. Discuss your assignments in small groups. You’ll learn the material better that way.”

I knew something had definitely gone wrong when the noise level dropped off. When I turned around to face my new volunteer, she was sitting all alone at a student desk. The inmates she was helping had moved as far away as possible. She had fallen asleep. I approached her, tapped lightly on the desk, and asked if she’d like a cup of coffee. She in turn became annoyed, as if I disturbed her from a peaceful moment of tranquility.

After two days, I told my boss that I no longer needed her services. My boss looked at me incredulously. “I think she has narcolepsy,” I explained. That was my first and last volunteer.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant work with someone that must assist me. Working in a team where everyone get their bit to do, yes. If someone must look over my shoulder while I am doing the work, I get VERY irretated. I am starting to understand your blogg beter now. You must have a very interresting job.

Anonymous said...

Thats so funny...i would have laughed at her.....

Anonymous said...

Shame the poor woman.
I am with Donsie on this one, I love working in groups as long as I am in charge of them, otherwise I prefer to do my own thing.

How kindly do inmates take to nuns and the like?

Michelle's Spell said...

Hysterical story, Jim! I'm loving the idea of a narcoleptic nun trying to volunteer at a prison. Fantastic picture as well!

Anonymous said...

What if the Flying Nun had been narcoleptic? Would she have fallen asleep while flying and crashed?

And JR, the picture for this post invites all kinds of commentary. But my first thought was, "oh my god, JR thinks he's Peter Pan."

ivan said...

Ah, we Machiavellians have a nasty side.
She wasn't sleeping.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I love this!

I work with a bunch of drug addicts and lowlifes... mmm the joys of food service! Too bad I can't just dismiss them for slacking on the job.

Anonymous said...

This is just too good. Man, I squeeze my poor brain to try to come up with decent fiction, and life just throws the best stuff all around us, willy-nilly.

Great story

KaraMia said...

oh the poor lady..lol.

Anonymous said...

JR, Did she volunteer with your class just so she could have some time to catch some zzzzs? If she didn't have narcolepsy, she was incredibly rude.

Another great picture by the way. **chuckle**

Josie

Anonymous said...

What a story and experience. I do think my wife (teacher) also would agree we you. Assistance means only trouble, she claims: And a BIG stupid student is worse than ten normal noisy youngsters. he-he.

PS. It do believe my son, living in Berrien County (SW - MI) is happy for the lack of snow. He claims nobody handles their cars properly when snow.

Anonymous said...

To think she was unhappy when you woke her up? You did her a favor.
MW

Anonymous said...

Poor lady. One of my teachers was telling me about a professor he had in college with narcolepsy. One minute, he'd be teaching and the next he'd be asleep. I wonder how he got permission to teach in college with narcolepsy.

Anonymous said...

Hi JR. I stopped by to say hi. I see you at Ivan's and Josie's and now at my friend Donnetta's new blog. I will enjoy reading your posts. Peter Pan and the Flying Nun!

Anonymous said...

that's too funny- a narcoleptic nun- who would have thunk it? I like to work with people who amuse me- I wish they did stupid things every day- great writing material but then again maybe it is me doing the stupid things each day and they are writing about me. Thanks for stopping by- hope to see you again!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Interesting story. Who what of thought of a Nun who has a condition characterized by sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep? If she stuck around too long, she could of got in trouble by the inmates..... --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Great story. Favorite line (cracked me up) - "The inmates she was helping had moved as far away as possible."

Maybe the Devil made her do it :->

I remember The Flying Nun but, like you, can't recall a single story line. The writers may have been slumped over their typewriters. Poor Sally must have done a lot of improv.

Anonymous said...

Great story. Favorite line (cracked me up) - "The inmates she was helping had moved as far away as possible."

Maybe the Devil made her do it :->

I remember The Flying Nun but, like you, can't recall a single story line. The writers may have been slumped over their typewriters. Poor Sally must have done a lot of improv.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I wonder what made her think she wanted to volunteer at a prison in the first place?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jim, your story reminds me of my days at Catholic school and they would roll in the old nuns to substitute teach....cheap labor. Tell the girls hi from your friends in Texas...65 and sunny here today