Wednesday, November 22, 2006

BLACK FRIDAY IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER


















I’m always thinking ahead, beyond Thanksgiving Day, beyond turkey, mash potatoes, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. Beyond the Detroit Lions so-called football game. But not that far beyond. I’m combing through the advertisements and mapping out my strategy for Black Friday. I probably won’t do as well this year (as a matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever done well). I should've studied the floor plans of Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. When those doors open, I need to know exactly where I’m going, where the massive displays are; unfortunately, this year I’m hoping fate is on my side. One wrong turn, one zig when I should’ve zagged, and the retailer’s spectacularly low-priced merchandise that I want will be sold-out. Sorry, no rain checks. My enemy: other customers, especially those that work in tandem with cell-phones on, one blocking the aisle, the other loading up their shopping cart.

What I really need is someone to guide me through this whole process, someone brave like my wife. I remember going to Bronner’s in Frankenmuth, Michigan, on the day after Thanksgiving. Never again. There I was, crammed into a corner of this massive store while everybody aggressively pursued Christmas tree ornaments and wreaths and other holiday nic-nacs. I panicked. I yelled for my wife, “Get me the hell out of here!” If I could, I’d have her do my dirty work for me. She’s much better at the whole shopping experience. In fact, she has done this in the past, but instead of lending a sympathetic ear when she comes home without that one special item I had truly wanted, I tell her how disappointed I am. I should've been thankful for not having to go.

Thanksgiving Day shouldn’t be the only day we give thanks. Take my latest attempt at becoming a fierce warrior—I should’ve thanked my first-grade teacher for helping me create my outfit. I should’ve thanked my mother for my Gene Autry singing cowboy costume. Hey, who needs a six-shooter when you have a guitar? I should’ve thanked my mother for her first attempt at making me look like a real Native American, even if she accessorized with jewelry and everyone thought I was a squaw. So please, everyone, enjoy your holiday and give thanks from this day forward.

One last thing: Yes, that is a paper grocery sack I’m wearing, and no, even though I’ve talked about going on an expedition, I am not Sacajawea.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never been allowed to go shopping on Black Friday. My mom refuses to let me go.

Have fun navigating through the crowded aisles of whatever store you're able to get into. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

oh man im a freaking pro at shopping. i wont take the nickster because hes just shopping cannon fodder. innocent bystander to be mauled by the crowds. lol

i would like to take this moment to thank my mommy for teachin me how to shop like a pro. lol

nice outfit. i remember making the feeather hat thing. mine was all freaking sparkly. people were like "thats the glitteriest indian i have ever seen" lol

Anonymous said...

Black Friday. Aptly put. I am always amazed by these people who rise at five in the morning to attack the stores to stockpile for Christmas. And by the way, if anyone is paying attention I want an XBOX 360. If you don't have that, an old XBOX will do.

On another topic...JR...The Lions. You will notice I don't add the word Detroit to that. It's just the Lions. That's because Detroit doesn't have a football team.

Anonymous said...

Have a nice thanks giving and black friday (cute costume love the acessories).

Anonymous said...

Speaking of zagging, Gonzaga knocked off the 2nd ranked Tar Heels last night. Nice pic and post. Have a great Thanks Giving.
MW

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

I don't mind shopping or not shopping and the stuff I want is so weird that nobody else wants it so there you go . . . LOVE the picture and Happy Happy Thanksgiving!

jbwritergirl said...

It's always nice to look back and realize how great and simple life was when we were young. I think most of us never appreciated (at the time) just how cool the simple life was. I remember thinking we were poor, but now, I realize we had everything we needed simply because my Mom was there for us!

Happy Thanksgiving my friend far away!
JB

Laura said...

Love the picture. Usually, I'm working on "Black Friday" so I miss all the huha at the stores. My daughter-in-law is one of those up at 5 a.m. shop til you drop people though. Unfortunately, I have tomorrow off, so this will be one of the few times that I venture out to the stores on Black Friday. Wish me luck, I'll need it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

well, weren't you just the cute little Indian??
I avoid shopping on Black Friday..won't do it and nobody can make me.

RennyBA said...

Sounds interesting - a great read of post.
Happy Thanksgiving all the way from Norway. I'm lucky to be married to an American so we will have turkey for dinner too:-)

Erik Donald France said...

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! A bag costume -- love it. I remember setting up forts and apartments with cardboard shipping boxes and blankets. Who needs Xbox? Every day is one for thanksgiving as long as we're breathing.

Anonymous said...

happy thanksgiving to you, too! thank you for visiting and leaving a comment on my site.

ohhhh shopping on Black Friday is the best! bargains, sale, bargains... :)

love the photo!
m.e.

Wichita-Lineman said...

The so-called Lions game is right.

The Dolphin’s quarterback looks a little familiar. Wasn't he the guy who couldn't throw a touchdown on Thanksgiving a few years ago? 4 of them today. Ugh.

I for one can't wait to watch the news tomorrow night and watch people stampede over each other and hear about all the injuries. Remember the woman at Walmart last Black Friday, the one who got knocked down and her wig fell off right in front of the camera. Ha ha, let the madness begin.

Shionge said...

Happy Thanksgiving JR :D

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving day...

Hmmm, no shopping for this lady on Black Friday. I would rather pay more and miss bargains then to be jostled around by people who have no manners.

Ellie

Jo said...

So, I was thinking to myself this evening, "What can I do tonight that will give me a chuckle? Oh, I know. I'll pop over to JR's blog and see a picture of him wearing a paper bag."

It worked.... :-)

Cheers,
Josie

Bobby said...

I'm not going out there -- I'm thankful for that.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Cute halloween costume! I remember the bag cut outs. Black Friday is not for me this year. --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

Bro Ron,
You're sadly mistaken. I'm wearing a costume for a Thanksgiving play at school. I chose to be an Indian, thinking the Pilgrim outfits were too nerdy.

Anonymous said...

Nice Bag!!!

Heidi on Vashon said...

Your folks took the cutest pictures of you! Arent you glad they did?

Anonymous said...

awww look at you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just came across your blog. Looks like, "what memories"!!!!!!!!!!!!