Thursday, November 9, 2006

TRANSFERS GO BOTH WAYS

I’ve had my share of problems as an employee for the Michigan Department of Corrections, so when I was told by the Sergeant to close down my classroom and report to the Warden’s conference room immediately, all I could think was "here we go again." The year was 1994 and I was still a guppy trying to fit in, trying to learn all the nuances of dealing with inmates. Hey, it was them against us, we had to stick together, had to. Management even gave us Team Spirit pins and an official pep talk delivered on a general memorandum declaring "Team Work Makes The Dream Work."

Before I marched my timid self to the administration building, I popped my head into the principal’s office to see if she could enlighten me. My concerns deepened when she said she hadn’t a clue. After making a phone call, she claimed that maybe it had something to do with the recent ride-ins. I agreed. Two weeks prior, our facility received a Greyhound bus full of white convicts. My initial reaction had been Uh-oh, I’m not so sure this is going to work. You see, our facility housed predominately black inmates. Management had decided we needed a better racial balance, and as far as I could gather, it was because the few white inmates we had were always pleading to be transferred out. In no uncertain terms would the transfer coordinator show preferential treatment. Thus, bring in more whites.

Greeted by a long line of employees waiting to get into the Warden’s conference room, I asked the maintenance worker in front of me, "Hey, what’s going on?" He replied, "You don’t know? Take a look around." I’ve always known the Department of Corrections to hire a diverse staff, but when I stepped back, I saw only white male employees standing in line. The maintenance worker continued, "The EEOC is here to investigate reverse discrimination."

Here are some of the standard questions I was asked including my answers:

Q: How long have you worked at this facility?
A: Approximately two years.

Q: Who do you eat lunch with, white, or black employees?
A: Wherever there’s an available seat.

Q: Have you ever been passed up for a promotion based on your race?
A: I haven’t been here long enough to find out.

Q: Have you witnessed any tension among white and black coworkers?
A: Not really. But racial tension among the inmates seems to be increasing.

Unlike others, my interview ended rather abruptly. I started to wonder whether some of my fellow white coworkers were requesting transfers of their own. As for myself, I made a lateral transfer in 1997, having turned down the promise of a promotion.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jr,

That was an interesting story. You must have come a long way, because I don't especially picture you as being timid now.

I have a friend who is in adult education and teaches GED classes. She says the pay stinks, (but I think she loves working with the type of person who never made it through high school for whatever reason) so much that she would do it for pennies if she had to. I wonder if you have the same kind of "love" for your working with the inmates?

Ellie

Anonymous said...

JR - At least you have the integrity to stay despite the flaws in the system.

Anonymous said...

Is that the Soul Train?

Anonymous said...

Great Post. The pins made of metal are security risks. I am betting this was before the breakout? Great descriptions.
Enlightening. MW

Nancy said...

Wow, what an interesting job. Thanks for stopping by and please come back. I admire you and your work and my prayer is that your ministry... "teaching" to these guys will be the reward you need to keep you inspired. Teaching is such a thankless job but know there are other out here that appreciate you and are praying for you. You are a blessing indeed!

ZZZZZZZ said...

very interesting story jim. teaching certainly has its ups and downs

Michelle's Spell said...

Love the inclusion of the questionaire and your answers. Good post!

Bird on a Wire said...

You're vignettes regarding your job never cease to fascinate.

Anonymous said...

Timid? You?

I agree with the cedar chest. I just can't picture it.

Maybe you really mean intimidating. That could explain why the interview ended so abruptly.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Thinker,
In five years at this prison in Detroit, I saw the teaching staff turn over twice. Perhaps I wasn't so timid afterall, or just plain lucky to have survived.

Laura said...

Interesting post. I love the way you answered their questions. Timid is the last word I would use to describe you.

Jo said...

So, I'm interested to know. What happened to the whites they bused in? Is there still racial tension there?

You have just about the most interesting job of anyone I know.

Cheers,
Josie

JR's Thumbprints said...

No matter which prison, their will always be racial tension. However, one of my best Level IV tutors is a white guy from Ironwood, Michigan. He has taken a bunch of the younger black men under his wing and is helping them with their studies.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Interesting post. I agree, after so many years teaching inmates, you're not timid. Probably after one month, your timidness went away. Keep hanging in there. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Sooooouuuuulllll Train!!