Saturday, November 11, 2006

I LOVE LUCY

Last thing I want is another damn dog. You're talking at least a twelve year commitment. I'm as enthused as an inmate flushing his toilet when the Michigan State Police pay his cell block a visit with drug sniffing canines. Besides, it hasn't even been a week since Bear's death. Let me get through "Marley & Me" before we even discuss it. I'm a slow reader. Here's where I'm at: Poor John and Jenny Grogan came home to a shredded garage because Marley's afraid of thunderstorms. Do you really think I want to clean up after a puppy? Forget it!

So what does my wife do? Talk incessantly about our next dog. "When it's time, what do you think about a Sharpei-Lab mix?" Not now honey, we're still grieving over Bear. "Or should we get another Black Lab?" Enough with the dog talk already! After two days, I agree to let her peruse petfinder.com . Her doggy discussions increase twofold. She's even talking on the phone to various breeders. I try to ignore her. That's all she'll talk about. Dog this, puppy that. Once she has me worn down a bit more, she asks, "Would it be alright if I go to the Michigan Humane Society just to look?" Don't you bring a dog home. We've already went over this a thousand times. "Yeah, okay."

I speak to a coworker. He tells me when his dog died he made his family wait three years. "Damn, you're good," I say, "How'd you manage?" "Just keep saying 'no' no matter what tactics your wife uses. Don't give in." I'm afraid it's too late for that.

I come home from work and my wife's talking about a four month old Beagle-Pointer mix. I'm thinking of the added costs in upkeep. Veterinarian bills. Puppy chow. Dog crate. Accessories. She says the dog's name is Olivia, but she likes Lucy better. Great, she's already named her. My wife reminds me that her allergies will dictate which type of dog we get. Nothing's a done deal. "Alright alright alright, I'll go."

I should've never started reading Grogan's memoir about Marley. How could it be avoided? The book won the 2006 Quills Award for Best Biography/Memoir and the 2006 ASPCA Presidential Award. Grogan has two Children's Books and a movie deal in the works. I blame him. Dammit, it's his fault for softening me up. The above photo collage is Lucy and me. We've spent two days together. She's already housebroke and knows how to "kennel up." All she needs to do now is pass my wife's allergy test. My wife claims her eyes are itchy, her throat is scratchy. I ignore her. Leave us alone, I want to say, you might have to move out.

27 comments:

Get Fuzzy said...

Nice dog and blog.

Michelle's Spell said...

Jim,

I avoid those type of books at all cost! The very cover of Marley and Me gives me the chills to my very soul! Lucy, however, looks adorable.

jbwritergirl said...

What a sweet looking dog. I'm waiting for mine to kick the bucket. Now...don't go getting in a tizzy. I love my dog very much but, for the last year I have spent a gazzilion dollars on meds, speciallist and whatever else there was trying to get him to stop pissing and shitting in my house. He's always been inside so putting him out seems like a cruel trick. Besides, we tried it and he won't stop barking or scratching at the door. So I have resigned myself to the daily wipe up. But rest assured when he does go I will be hard pressed to get another one any time soon after.

jbwritergirl said...

What a sweet looking dog. I'm waiting for mine to kick the bucket. Now...don't go getting in a tizzy. I love my dog very much but, for the last year I have spent a gazzilion dollars on meds, speciallist and whatever else there was trying to get him to stop pissing and shitting in my house. He's always been inside so putting him out seems like a cruel trick. Besides, we tried it and he won't stop barking or scratching at the door. So I have resigned myself to the daily wipe up. But rest assured when he does go I will be hard pressed to get another one any time soon after.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Wow that was quick. Look at it this way, you can continue with the "same" bills. No break or trying to readjust. Lucy looks like a cute dog and even has taken a liken to you. So, will Lucy be an outside dog or an inside dog? Your chosing? --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

I just may have the girl of my dreams. Inside dog of course.

Jo said...

I can tell by the look on your face that you're in love. Don't fight it. Lucy's a gorgeous dog, and I can tell she loves you too. You're toast.

I love the name Lucy, by the way. I once had a marmalade cat named Lucy.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

What a cool dog! Can I have the pups?

Anonymous said...

We had to put my dog, Missy, down three years ago and I still haven't been able to get another pooch. I think about it sometimes. One of my coworkers volunteers at the local Humane Society and she fosters animals. She tells me about the "good ones". I am curious, my heart yearns to go to the pound and "just look", but there is something in me that just hasn't made the effort to go...I think I need counseling...lol

I've been seeing Marley and Me in the book stores, but haven't been able to pick it up and read it...I just think I have issues...

Ellie

Laura said...

Cute Dog. I still can't bring myself to even think about another dog since I lost my Petey. We had him 14 years and he was perfect. I don't think I could go through losing another one after many years of having it in our family. So every time my husband brings up the subject of getting a dog, I just say NO! You and Lucy look made for each other though.

Anonymous said...

Lots of twist and turns. Great fast nonfiction. You are such a push over. Hope your wifes' eyes and throat get better. You and Lucy might both be sleeping outside. Nice story and pics.
:-) MW

Erik Donald France said...

Wow, Lucy's come down from the Sky :-> Great post Jim, and good luck! I live by my landlord's rules these days, though: no pets allowed -- one crew got kicked out for sneaking a cat in; they got caught when said cat was espied by landlady snoozing in a windowsill.

EmBee said...

...And it appears that "Lucy, Loves You!" Congratulations Jim, it's a girl... May you have many long years of doggie devotion. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Lucy is beautiful.

Katmandu said...

Looks like some kind of hound dog. Probably sheds a lot and barks like hell. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

She looks like a hunter as a beagle.

r's musings said...

You don't look too unhappy, Jim! Lucy seems to be a nice name for such a sweet looking dog!

Anonymous said...

My mum has been begging my dad to get a dog for years, but his answer remains the same, defiant 'no'. My mother just replies to this by telling him that when he dies, she will get 3 dogs to replace him.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dog. My girlfriend's childhood bassett died this weekend, and I asked if we ought to get her family a dog for Christmas. We decided that they needed time to grieve. It's amazing how pets become family members, how we grieve for them just as we would a human.
Enjoy Lucy. Great post, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, if Lucy doesn't pass the allergy test I think your wife better get some antihistamines or something because it seems likes Lucy is a keeper. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I need t get a dog like that for me and my kid!!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

We had to give up Lucy the day after this post. My wife's allergies got worse. We're going to wait until spring for another dog.

GW said...

Oh, sorry to hear that! I was just reading all the comments after your happy story. :( Allergy shots out of the question? LOL

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. How'd you find it?

r's musings said...

Oh, Jim, so sad! I'll bet your wife feels so bad about it! Hope she's feeling better and that the right dog comes along again in the spring!

Laura said...

Sorry you didn't get to keep Lucy.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the dog and your wife.

Anonymous said...

Dar, that looks like it would have been a cool dog if it wasn't for your........