Monday, November 27, 2006

LIFE LONG LESSONS; LIFE LONG LEARNERS

From this day forward the Puzzle Palace, a.k.a. Lansing, Michigan, says we can no longer have lifers in our classrooms; only the short-timers should be in school diligently working toward their high school equivalency diplomas. No GED, no parole. The legislators made that perfectly clear years ago—as clear as mud. Since then, there has been an increase in GED exemptions. Because of no fault of his own, so-and-so wasn’t able to get his GED and should be granted a parole. Hey, with a large state deficit, why should the taxpayers foot the bill for an expensive GED?—incarceration ain’t cheap you know. Then again, neither is the liability and risk involved with most ex-felons.

"They gotta cut me loose," Prisoner Lane once told me. He’d been enrolled in one of my afternoon GED classes, expending all his energy on ways not to cooperate. "I’m special ed, you better look it up," he added.

Not a problem. After having him sign a release of educational records, our school office discovered that he was placed in a Special Education classroom not because he had difficulty learning—he told me he was dyslexic—but for behavioral reasons. "What? Did you beat-up your teacher?" I asked. "There’s nothing special about you."

Then one day, and I’ll never forget it, Prisoner Lane came into my room with his parole papers. "I’m going home assssshoooole. You can’t make me do anything, so f---k you!"

Why argue? Instead, I wished him well.

Two weeks after that, my boss stormed into my room and demanded to know why Prisoner Lane wasn’t attending school. "He got his parole," I answered.

"No he did not!" he countered. "I’ve enrolled him in all seven of your classes. No GED, no parole."

The very next morning, Prisoner Lane approached me, "This is bullshit. They snatched my parole. You gotta help me."

He had a 5th grade reading level at the time, but I had never seen someone work as hard as Prisoner Lane. He worked as if his freedom depended on it, and … well … it did. There were some hiccups along the way. "What’s wrong with you?" I asked him.

"The police were at my momma’s house looking for me. They had a warrant for my arrest."

"Why?"

"Failure to report."

"Kind of hard reporting to your parole officer when you’re still here, isn’t it? I suppose you’ll have to straighten that out too."

After four months from his initial parole, Prisoner Lane earned his diploma and was granted his freedom. After two months of freedom, he caught a new case.

15 comments:

Wichita-Lineman said...

******

"I�m going home assssshoooole. You can�t make me do anything, so f---k you!"

Why argue? Instead, I wished him well."


I admire your patients. This is a nice piece. Another window into the very unique world of education behind the walls.

I also liked the Santa piece. What was that name again, Pisscutters. Kris Kringle looks good next to th pond.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what a little motivation can do.

Michelle's Spell said...

Like Lee, I also admire your patience. I'd be at my wit's end most of the time. As for motivation, that's always the best tool for learning. The only reason I did anything at school was to get the hell out of Mineral Wells, Texas which was the best motivation (besides prison, but close) for anything!

Shionge said...

I've alot to learn from you too, thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

wow...sad...

Laura said...

I commend you on your ability to work with these prisoners day after day and still keep your sanity. All the disappointments. I guess you have to find your strength in the few that do turn their lives around and allow you to assist them with this process. But it's a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Anonymous said...

I like the "report to your parole officer" when you have not left prison yet. The righr hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.But he's back anyways.
What a guy.Your patience should be commended. Good post. MW

Anonymous said...

I agree with wichita-lineman. I don't have half as much patience as that.

Erik Donald France said...

Great story -- cool picture, too.

Jo said...

My gosh, you have an interesting job (as I have said before). When this fellow really had to apply himself, how did he do? What kind of marks did he get? Are some of these guys really intelligent? We get the feeling (from romanticized prison movies) that they're all "bad guys with a heart of gold and an IQ of 130". Is any of that true?

I can see a novel (and a movie) in your job. I hope you're writing it.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

Jim, There is no way in heaven I could put up with your job! I like the idea of No GED, No Parole. At least if some of them get out of the pen, they have at least some normal education. It probably mostly goes down the toilet but hopefully it will be a lessons learned. --Bro, Ron

m said...

You have one of those jobs that you either love or you hate. I can't imagine that you are often bored.

Anonymous said...

Great post and photo, Jim! You're tough when you need to be, and sensitive when you need to be; something I'm learning to do. It's not easy, though. I still end up second-guessing myself a bit.

Anonymous said...

What a great picture jim! I admire your patience.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are coming out of the water in that photo. How cool!