Monday, November 13, 2006

BASKETBALL FEVER AND ONE MAN'S REMEDY
















Nobody plays basketball with more passion, more commitment, than the young inmates locked-up in prison. Ask them and they’ll tell you they’re superstars, no one can take it to the hole like they can. Three meals a day, a warm place to shit, another warm place to sleep, and some yard activity and they’ll dribble that ball from sun-up to sun-down, or for however long the yard officers will allow. They’ll sacrifice learning how to read and write well, and don’t think for a red hot minute that they’ll take time out from their busy schedule to learn their multiplication tables either—it’s just not going to happen. Skipping school, even if it means risking a parole, is worth every minute of hoops. Short-term thinkers get long term punishments but who gives a hoot.

Once the snow hits, it’ll be time to move indoors. At Ryan Correctional, the athletic director invited some retired professional basketball players inside for a scrimmage. I remember the pregame warm-ups. The pros started with a standard two-line formation, one for lay-ups and the other for rebounding. On the other end of the court, you had a dozen balls flying from all angles at the basket with no rhyme nor reason. Total mayhem. Shock and awe, sapping any possibility of team play. Needless to say, the pros toyed with them, let them gain a sizable lead before picking them apart with a variety of set plays and the occasional slam dunk for emphasis.

Another time, our facility went into lockdown mode after an inmate spat on another inmate during a heated game. In order to make things right, in order to “save face,” both teams brought out their shanks and started running the gears. Maintenance had to dismantle the drinking fountain after someone bled in it while sipping water. Also, an inmate porter, trained in blood borne pathogens, proudly declared that he had cleaned up after the melee. I looked to see what time it was, “1430 hours.” The clock hung twelve feet high on the wall so no one could steal the motor and use it on a hobbycraft project. “How about there,” I said, nodding at the blood splatter on the clock.

But not all inmates shared the same passion for b-ball. There was this deputy warden, an ex-felon himself, paid his debt to society and went on to become a productive citizen, who believed in giving the inmates a cold-hearted reality check. He transferred to another facility and the first thing he decided to do to show the inmates that he had arrived, was to have maintenance cut down the basketball poles near the units. I’d heard this story from the inmates and chalked it up to modern day lore. When I transferred to the very same facility, I saw the asphalt filled holes where backboards were once erected and had to smile, simply had to.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, I guess a little b-ball doesn't hurt anyone except for the dudes in the pen! Well, maybe the Pistons and Pacers fight night! Sorry to see that you gave up Lucy! My kids were already getting warmed up to Lucy (to the photo, that is). --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

b-ball can hurt...especially if your playing against people who are much bigger then you, not that I'm bitter...

(The warden who pulled down the hoops sounds like an ass)

GrizzBabe said...

As a basketball fan, my first thought when I read the title of your post was "Why would anyone need to be cured of basketball fever?" But yes, if you are an inmate with limited educational skills, you should at least temper your love of basketball for the betterment of self.

r's musings said...

Great photo, Jim! For there to be blood on a clock hung twelve feet high, there must've been a real battle going on! Pleasure-seeking always seems to turn into some form of obsession. Why is that? Interesting post.

George Hablah said...

Nothin' but net. Great post!

Laura said...

I'm not too keen on watching basketball on TV, but I like it when I am at the games. Of course, I don't think I'd like watching a basketball game in the pen.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

So sorry about Lucy! Love basketball and the picture is great!

Nancy said...

I bet the b-ball is a way to get out some of the excess energy for the inmates and what a blessing that they have that opportunity. I enjoy reading about your work experience and admire you and your dedication.

Larry Bird said...

I knifed my way to the top of the NBA. Man, it was rough.

Anonymous said...

The Dep was a gem. I liked his picture shaking Ex-Gov Englers' hand and I wish I had a copy of it. After the Gov found out he was an excon he could promote no
hire, and the departmet stopped hiring excons. Big mistake I believe...Great post. MW

Erik Donald France said...

Lots of blood spatters, well-applied. Prison sports reminds me of The Longest Yard. Love the ending on this one.

Anonymous said...

Aren't there any basketball players who actively advocate education? I don't know but there surely is....

Jo said...

My gosh, you have an interesting job...!

Okay, what am I missing? What happened to Lucy? She was gorgeous.

Josie

Anonymous said...

It's all the damn dogs fault??