Thursday, November 30, 2006

PRE-HOLIDAY FUNK

After college, living in New York City, it seemed like everyone was a writer. They were working on novels, writing plays and destined for greatness. Or so I convinced myself. They were 'real' writers; I was a fake and it was only a matter of time before they found me out.
—Joel Saltzman

Once again, I made an excuse not to finish a post (Nov. 30th); I wouldn’t exactly call it writer’s block either. I had stepped up to the plate but couldn’t follow through on my swing—What, am I sick? The post should have started like this: When a man was pummeled to death with a baseball bat they tried to pin the blame on my friend, the athletic director. I started to wonder whether this would be appropriate material, afterall, someone had died, and on a lesser note, baseball season had ended. I decided not to pursue it any further. I even scrapped the childhood photo of myself holding a bat. Perception is everything.

I decided to write about something less volatile and timelier: There’s a saboteur in my building. This seemed appropriate. I had come home from work Wednesday evening, upset about a serious confrontation I had with a mentally unstable coworker. I stared at the sentence. Too soon. Too soon. I needed more time to reflect.

I decided to do a self-examination of my previous posts instead. Here’s what I discovered: Since last week, Black Friday to be exact, I’ve included some very bleak characters: a quadriplegic, a former student and two-time loser, and a former alcoholic coworker. Let’s not forget my rejection notices also.

I need something to snap me out of my pre-holiday doldrums. Christmas is fast approaching. I should write something cheerful. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Or how about Alfred Hitchcock fanning the flames as Santa comes down the chimney? Hey, at least Santa’s not chained up, at least he still has a chance to escape.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had noticed the theme of dodgy characters but prehaps cheer will be a good thing :-)

Shionge said...

Hey JR..thank you so much for your kind and lovely comments :D

I wish you well and stay cheerful :D You can do it I'm sure.

Jo said...

How about Alfred Hitchcock in a cameo role as Santa Claus? Stay cheerful. It's Friday. (And no, no, no, it wasn't you..)

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

I always liked Mr. Hitchcock's T.V
series/stories. They always ended with him giving some kind of quip
about the story presented. MW

Anonymous said...

I always liked Mr. Hitchcock's T.V
series/stories. They always ended with him giving some kind of quip
about the story presented. MW

Laura said...

Don't worry, you've still got some time to catch the holiday spirit. I look forward to your wonderful, cheery holiday post with great enthusiasm!

Michelle's Spell said...

Stay with the depressing material, Jim. It's leading you in a good direction! I sense a shift into more painful material which could be very good.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Cheer up. JR, I don't know where you live, but you are always welcome to join us in Chesterfield for the Bay Area Writers. We meet at the Chesterfield Library every other Thursday from Seven until about eight or so...then usually head out for a bite and good discussion.

Anyway, if it's not a long haul for you, come around and bring something to read and have critiqued.

Anonymous said...

Jim, The Holidays (X-mas) is fast approaching. Cheer up! Dig deep into your soul and something bright will come out. Keep charging and keep the faith! I have some soul searching to do over the Holidays (my job)! --Bro, Ron p.s. Maybe the old X-mas shows that will be on this week, will cheer you up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, watch Rudolph the Rednose Raindeer. Just remember not to get your nose so red over the holidays, if you know what I mean! ;}

r's musings said...

Hey Jim,
I say stick with the funk; it could be good writing material, and it usually works itself out if we let it be.

Anonymous said...

AMEN TO THAT!