Wednesday, November 29, 2006

JR SHRUGGED AND LIFE WENT ON










I’ve had my share of peculiar assignments working for the Michigan Department of Corrections, and I’ve graciously accepted most without debate; however, when I was informed that Mr. Lansky, the Institutional Maintenance instructor, would be sharing a classroom with me, I knew I’d be shouldering a very heavy burden.

Management would stop Mr. Lansky periodically as he came through the front gate, checking his breath for signs of alcohol (this was before random drug testing was signed into law). The first thing Mr. Lansky would do after being confronted is run to me. “They did it again. Can you believe it? They think I’ve been drinking.”

I’d act surprised, even though I could smell the vodka permeating from the pores of his skin. Did they honestly think these interventions would help him overcome his addiction? Or were they going through the motions, hoping for the best, expecting the worst? As for sharing a classroom, my students had a difficult time studying with Mr. Lansky and his entourage dragging floor buffers, mop buckets, fans, and whatever else they needed, back and forth from the storage closets. His tutors, noticing the concern on my face, would tip toe about and reassure me. “Hey, don’t worry. We’ll look after him.” This only deepened my concern.

As I look back, I sometimes wonder how much management knew about Mr. Lansky’s personal life and whether they advised him to seek employee services. I do know one thing, the more they checked his breath, the more withdrawn he became. At 10:40 a.m., our school staff routinely ate lunch in the break room while Mr. Lansky sat in his van sipping coffee from his thermos, or so he would explain if he knew I saw him. By the end of the workday, his hands shook so badly that he had difficulty signing out.

One day, Mr. Lansky confided in me that his son and daughter-in-law, whom happened to live under his roof, found their baby boy unresponsive. “My only grandson,” Mr. Lansky said choking back tears, “died in my house.” I’m not sure how long ago this tragic event occurred, but I do believe this was Mr. Lansky’s way of asking for forgiveness. “I’m sorry to hear that,” I replied, shrugging my shoulders. Soon afterward, I transferred to another facility and shortly thereafter, I learned that Mr. Lansky had been fired for drinking on the job.

21 comments:

jbwritergirl said...

Life can be quirky sometimes.
JB

Anonymous said...

Tough life. My grandma was one of four children. Two of them died at a young age. One was run over by an ice truck. Her father was a functional alcoholic. She began working at the age of nine, married at 18, and is she still married and working at 73. She learned tolerance, patience, and perserverance. She enjoys reading mystery novels and romance novels, dinners in her favorite mid-priced restaurants, new curtains, and home cooked holidays. She has always been a generous gift giver. She is one of the people I most admire.

Anonymous said...

Well at least they finally did something about it

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

This story is so so sad. I feel for Mr. Lanksky -- he's right out of Raymond Carver. Would make a great scene in a story -- the inmates offering to "look after" one of the custodial staff who is a drinking is really sweet and depressing.

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking story. I don't think that people realize that alcoholism and addictions have their roots in trauma. On the other hand, what else can you do? The guy was drinking on the job.

A truly sad story. Damned compelling, though.

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, great story -- with a perfect tragic touch. I know a teacher like this (now transferred) who also had his own tales of woe, & the same sort of indirect way of asking for forgiveness.

Anonymous said...

Such a sad story, Jim.

Anonymous said...

Life always surprises me

Anonymous said...

Great story and post. Makes me think of "Mad Dogs and English Men." MW

Anonymous said...

Jim, Where I work, they would first offer help (i.e. assistance on your problem). If that didn't work, then you could be fired. Sad to see something like this happen. I'm always for giving individuals, second chances. Nice story. --Bro, Ron

Nancy said...

Alcoholics, so sad,and so trapped! A very interesting story thank you for sharing.

GrizzBabe said...

Very sad story. One can only hope that he eventually got the help he needed.

Laura said...

Some people try to drink all their sorrows away. A very sad thing. To bad they didn't try to get him some help with the drinking thing. Then again, some people just don't want to be help. Sad.

jeannie said...

It so odd how some people can drink once in while with no lasting effects, and others get "hooked". I guess if you're drinking to forget something horrible you'd want to drink all the time. It's just a way to kill yourself slowly when you already feel like you're dying.

Jo said...

Life can sometimes deal folks with a very bad hand. Some people can handle it and others can't. "There but for the Grace of God go I..."

Your stories always have such heartbreaking characters in them. I always want to know more about them. I hope Mr. Lansky is okay now

ghee said...

hello JR,
im back again :)

hope Mr.Lansky find some heal for himself.

i cud sense that you are a considerate and devoted man.pls keep it up!

btw,I moved my site,so pls say hi if you have some time :)

can i link you up?so i wont chase your comment to reach you :)
thanx!

ghee

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was sad.

(Anonymous, whoever you are, you kind of ruined the mood.)

It just goes to show that you never know exactly what could be happening to a person.

Anonymous said...

Peaks and valley... ~M

Anonymous said...

Jim you've been tagged. Stop by my blog to see what to do. It is fun.

Anonymous said...

No tagging going on here! I'm anonymous!!!! ;}

Anonymous said...

I think I see "Santa" in the background? Where's his deer and sleigh?