Thursday, November 9, 2006

ACME MEAT GRINDING CORPORATION

It’s not unusual for me to have students my father’s age or older studying for a GED. They’ll often complain that when they were on the "outs" they were making more money pressing car hoods than I'd ever dream of. I say, "Good for you, but did you ever learn a trade?" This usually puts them on the defensive. "I didn’t need to. The money was good enough." I often wonder what they mean by that, good enough for buying cheap beer at a premium price at the local watering hole? Good enough for liquor? Marijuana? Cocaine? Crack? What was it good enough for? To end up in prison?

I try to explain that you shouldn’t get too comfortable doing the same thing over and over. "Learn something new for a change and quit being so close-minded." My comments are unpopular. Someone always tells me about a family member with a college degree who can’t get a job—"all that education and for what?"

"Give me some paper," Mr. Snyder routinely greets me, "I ain’t got time for your shit. I gots work to do." Another older gent stands next to him, points toward my desk drawer. "Make yourself useful and get me some paper too."

They come to class early to get a premium seat in the back. Unlike the youngsters, they’re no trouble at all. Don't get me wrong, they hate attending class, but they’ll do whatever it is that you ask them to do. They’ll even lend some moral support by commenting about the youngsters in class not having worked a day in their lives. "You still got milk on your breath, son," Mr. Snyder says, ready to jab his knuckle into the chest of a youngster. "You ain’t weaned from the teat."

The youngsters hate being checked. They feel smarter, and indestructible. Most of them are willing to fight over any little comment. However, Mr. Lawton has channeled his energy elsewhere. He likes to draw amateurish cartoons in mock support of the old timers. He doesn’t realize that a good paying factory job is near extinction and that he should work on his academic skills. Even cleverness comes with a price. I show him his mistakes, thrusting my index finger toward his illustration. "You spelled ‘carefull’ and ‘anouther’ wrong."

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, Amazing. Give a "kid" a piece of paper and let his or her imagination go! Are any of your "students" pretty good artists when it comes to painting? Are they allowed to keep their precious paintings? --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

We had an inmate at our facility who used to do scenic paintings for profit. Not too long ago they cut him loose for time served. He told me he was heading for Canada. I say, "Good riddance!"

Anonymous said...

That guy was a real piece of shit
5 counts of csc and we just release him back to society
larry

Anonymous said...

It could be worse I guess but not by much. At they are being creative

Anonymous said...

Another fine, fine post. Do you find that you can change the mindset of many of the old timers? They must know that,as you mentioned, well paid factory jobs are few and far between nowadays...

John Dooey said...

Education seems like such a penalty in da joint.

Bird on a Wire said...

Telling somebody that they shouldn't get too comfortable doing one thing is probably some of the best advice you could give them. Great characterizations of the old timers, by the way. That is some choice dialogue.

Laura said...

Yet another good post. The old saying that "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind as I read this post. Sad that some of the elderly are to bull headed to think that they can learn something new.

ZZZZZZZ said...

people are so stubborn sometimes. They think they know everything and are so closed minded.... it's a shame really.

Erik Donald France said...

Love the finger-in-the-meatgrinder drawing. Reminds me of the bloody nose guy. Visceral.

Michelle's Spell said...

Great post, Jim. Love the dialogue. You should write a story with him as a character!

Anonymous said...

Damn people click on the 3rd comment (larry) this is the kind of people JR deals with daily
do you care if this kind of scum is ever released?? do you think he can become a productive member of society?:?

Anonymous said...

Aren't'cha gettin' a little graphic about that Larry dude? Seems you wanna put somethin' else of his in the meat grinder.

Anonymous said...

I call them D.A.'s!

Anonymous said...

Good story. Larry did get his GED
even though math was not his best subject. Maybe that is why he had so many convictions? He could not count without using his fingers.
Just thinking out loud. Great post JR. MW :-)

Jo said...

Do you ever get any students that are really intelligent and have potential? That would be interesting. I think of the movie "The Shawshank Redemption".

GrizzBabe said...

If he's going to goof off in class by doodling, he can at least spell correctly.

Anonymous said...

Cut his other fingers off!!!