Wednesday, November 15, 2006

WELCOME TO ADULT DAY CARE

Before you ask, I’ll answer. "Yes, that chubby-faced toddler is me." But at least today I’m not a little boy trapped in a man’s body (code for MDOC inmate). Although, if you examine the picture a bit closer, you will see a wayward hand hanging onto my elastic bvd waistband, directing me where to go. All I can say is that this picture is symbolic of how the inmates act toward one another. So many of them want to be leaders, they want to take charge—the proverbial king of the shit pile—and no matter how stupid they are, they’ll try to find someone else who will listen to their childish advice. They’ll pair up and I’ll say, "Looks like the blind leading the naked. Who’s groping who?" Then I’ll get comments such as, "Don’t cut into my intelligence," and I’ll say, "I don’t even need a Spork to do that."

Lately—and I’m not sure why, perhaps it’s a full moon or I’m getting into my preholiday funk—I’ll observe my students horseplaying around and giggling like little school girls (sorry if I’ve offended anyone, didn’t mean to). When I remind them that they will be testing tomorrow to see if they qualify for the actual GED exams, they seem to think school has always been a slam-dunk. Now, I’m not the smartest tool in the shed, but after fifteen years, I know what’s going to happen, and they should too, considering their public school histories. The man-child or men-children will act shocked after the fact. "I should’ve passed. It’s your fault. You should’ve been helping me. You didn’t give me anything to study." Hmmm, I’m thinking, If I use the foot on your neck approach you cry like a baby and write grievances or want to be transferred to another teacher. Quit acting like you know what’s best! Your way doesn’t work.

It’s called A-D-U-L-T, adult, education. They are supposed to be responsible for their actions (at least now, since they're incarcerated) and do the book work and computer work assigned to them, instead of blaming everyone for their woefully lacking academic skills. But then again, this would mean acting like an (gasp) adult. As I frequently tell them, "Why am I embarrassed for you?"

I’m sorry. I just needed to vent a little. Please forgive me. Maybe it’s that hand in my bvd’s. Maybe it’s another traumatic childhood experience. Maybe it’s adult day care at it’s worse. Sadly, as taxpayers, we're paying for it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chances are pretty good that if they had grown up learning to take responsibility for themselves, they wouldn't be where they are.

Anonymous said...

I know plenty of adults that need educating. You place might be teaching the guys how to read but there are plenty free folk who need to be taught some manners

jeannie said...

Why take responsibility for yourself when others will do it for you? They are living on tax dollars, 3 square meals a day. It almost seems like a privilage in some cases. True they don't have the freedoms we do, but they don't have to "work" for anything.
Sorry, feeling a bit cranky this morning.

EmBee said...

I think Claudia hit the nail on the head!

Erik Donald France said...

Man, what a zoo. Makes someone like Malcolm X seem all the rarer in getting one's prison act together for the outside world. Favorite prisoner line: "Don't cut into my intelligence."

p.s. I hate typos, too :->

Psych 101 said...

You can lead a horse to water....If people don't want help, there's not way anybody is going to help them.

Anonymous said...

Great Post. Like the picture. MW

Anonymous said...

Not the smartest tool in the shed. I loved that statement!

When I was studying for my GED back in 2001 I was in a class of younger kids and they were smartalecks who didn't care. They were only there because for some reason the judge had made them get their GED. The other reason...nobody hires a high school dropout. As bad as that experience was for me, it wouldn't compare to what you go through daily.


Ellie

Anonymous said...

I work with a guy who can't do anything on his own. When I finally told him that I shouldn't have to hold his hand, he got offended, like I'd slapped him. I told him I'm just a line cook, not a babysitter.

Anonymous said...

Your inmates sounds a lot like some of my classmates.

As soon as test results are posted up, I'm bound to hear the "I failed and it's all so-and-so's fault" routine. No amount of blaming the teacher ever helps them pass the class. I wonder when they'll learn.

Anonymous said...

aww positively adorable! I always try to take responsibility for myself although it is quite tempting when someone else is willing to do it for you!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I would have a hard time trying to teach dummies who don't want to learn. Hey, nice photo. I wonder who's hand is on your bvd's?? --Bro, Ron

JR's Thumbprints said...

Well Bro Ron, I have a basic philosophy: Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the Way. I'm just glad no one got hurt and we both became successful at what we do.