Tuesday, November 7, 2006

A DIFFICULT DECISION

When Dr. Krysinski tightened the tourniquet and steadied the needle, I thought about my wife’s reaction to the nurse who gently touched her shoulder and said, “We do this procedure all the time, you have nothing to worry about.” My wife replied, “No, it’s not that. It’s … it’s …,” she reached for a Kleenex and dabbed her eyelids, “it’s the book.” She lowered her eyes toward John Grogan’s memoir “Marley & Me,” it’s spine unevenly balanced on her right knee. I, of course, was being rolled away on a hospital bed, the nurse pushing me through the double doors.

I do know this, my wife plowed through the first two hundred pages of “Marley & Me,” laughing and informing me of every bad incident that Marley, a Yellow Labrador Retriever, went through. “You got to read this,” she said. The last thing I wanted was to start reading a memoir about someone’s pet; I had better things to do with my day, or at least better things to read. “It’s been on the New York Times bestseller’s list forever,” she claimed, her way of saying, What’s the matter with you anyway?

Now, at this particular juncture, as Dr. Krysinski stuck the needle in, I remembered how difficult it was for my wife to finish the last few chapters on the day of my surgery. I guess it was then that I took an interest in what was going on. “Is Marley dying?” I asked. She nodded yes. A few days later, she finished the book, and gave it to me. I’m only on the fourth chapter, but let me tell you, John and Jenny Grogan, two young newlyweds, have purchased this dog, their hopes and dreams of his potential are as limitless as their love for one another. And so the story goes, each milestone Marley reaches is marked by something significant in their own lives. My wife and I certainly can relate to that. Our very own Bear started out as a guard dog, a square jawed British Black Labrador Retriever, a young pup with lots of energy and a nice disposition. Any little sound and he’d be charging at the door, barking his fool head off. But not anymore. We had a difficult decision to make. My wife looked into his eyes as they slowly closed and I felt his heartbeat slip away. We will miss him, may he rest in peace. And many thanks to the wonderful staff at Harvey’s Animal Hospital in Detroit.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, We lost Scruffy a few months ago and it still makes me cry. I don't think I could read that book without breaking down.

Anonymous said...

Another well written story. Sorry to hear about your dog. MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

For some odd reason, I could not download a picture of our dog. I'll try later.

Bear: Aug. 24, 1992 - Nov. 6, 2006.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Just read today's post after I returned from voting this morning. Sorry to hear about Bear. I would keep trying to post a picture of Bear to show everyone. --Bro, Ron

Michelle's Spell said...

Poor Jim! I'm so sorry about Bear. When I was young, my dad had to shoot one of our dogs because we didn't have money to put it to sleep and he never got over it. Dog grief is so awful.

r's musings said...

Yes, another well written story. Such a sad time. It's difficult letting go of such a close companion. I still miss my cat, Samson. It took me six months before I could get the new kittens. I've grown very fond of them in the month that I've had them, but no one will ever replace my Sammy. I hope you'll be able to post a picture of Bear soon.

Bird on a Wire said...

I hope you get that picture posted. My childhood dog, Calvin, is, unfortunately, getting to that point too. He's deaf and blind and rarely moves anymore, and I have that nagging feeling that "a difficult decision" is right around the corner.

Huckleberry Hound said...

One day my dog told me with his eyes that he was going to die later on that day. I told my parents to take him to the vet. Instead, they took him to a baseball game and left him in the car. He died of overheating in the car.

Anonymous said...

Nice photograph of your precious dog!

Bird on a Wire said...

Thanks, J.R. I just got Matt's joke in my comments. Took me long enough...

Sorry about your dog.

ZZZZZZZ said...

awww! My dog had to be put down a few years ago. His name was Petey. I miss him so much. He was a Palmeranian and he lived to be about 14 I believe. Its so sad when an animal goes....

Laura said...

Sorry to hear about your dog, Bear. As Sheila said we had Petey for 14 years. Neither my husband or I could put him down even though we knew it had to be done. My oldest boy and his wife took Petey in when I was at work. When I came home, I could tell something was wrong. They came over to my car and said, "mom, Petey's gone. Stupid me, I said where did he go (I thought maybe he got out of the yard and was lost). I looked at their faces and then I realized what they meant.

Erik Donald France said...

Jim, so sorry to hear about Bear. I love Labs. Over the years, my family had five, four black and one yellow. One was killed, four died of old age/infirmities or were given the final shot because of the latter. All wonderful and vibrant, but it was terrible when they each went. My heart goes out to you.

Jo said...

JR, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. There is no love more pure and unconditional than the love from and for a pet. I cried for two weeks when I lost Maggie my little Scottie dog. She was my best buddie. I know just how you're feeling.

BTW a really good book to read is "Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck. You will love it.

Josie

ChiefMommy Owl said...

Sorry to hear about your dog. We cried for weeks when the family Jack Russell died.

I remember having to read Sounder in middle school and being completely depressed by it. I can still see my English teacher weeping as she read the final passages.

Sara :)

EmBee said...

My daughter and I read 'Marley & Me' together... It's tough to get through the last few chapter while reading aloud... All the sobbing gets in the way of the reading.

I've been there twice, with your wife on the floor of the vets office holding my beloved dogs head in my arms as I tell him how much he is loved. We lost our choclate lab 'Boone' to cancer in 1998 and his brother 'Crockett' to the same in 2000. I remember my husband saying, "That's it, no more dogs, this is just too hard." and immediately following with, "What am I saying, we're DOG people, we'll always be DOG people!"

It's damn sad that the life expectancy of a dog is so much shorter than that of a human... But maybe it's that way for a reason, because it helps to prepare us for life's other heartaches and the inevitable deaths of our loved ones.

My sympathies.

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry about Bear. People who don't have them don't realize that it's just like losing a family member.
I dread the day that or Keeper and Raven go.
Marley was amazing, but that last chapter is hard.