Thursday, September 14, 2006

YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR HAT ON

Whenever I hear Joe Cocker singing “You Can Leave Your Hat On,” I visualize a young Kim Bassinger’s striptease routine in “9 ½ Weeks.” What a performance! Better than going to what some of my friends refer to as The Ballet. But this has nothing to do with what I’m going to discuss, except for the fact that, at one time, inmates could not leave their hats on while in the school building.

So, whenever a coworker mentions the old prison hat rule, they’re usually reminiscing about the time I allegedly waltzed into the middle of a program staff meeting and threw a hat at the assistant deputy warden. Let me explain. First of all, I was not intentionally late. I had to stay with the computer vendor while he worked on our server. Once he figured out exactly what needed to be done, I attended the meeting. And it’s true, I brought a prisoner’s hat with me. I even remember whose hat I confiscated—Little Joe’s.

What happened next, for some odd reason, became part of a legendary tale. Let me just say this, “I DID NOT THROW A HAT AT THE ASSISTANT DEPUTY WARDEN!” Instead, while he was conducting his meeting, I entered the conference room, and simply tossed the hat on the table, right in front of him. Then I sat down in the only chair available—you got it—right next to the hat rule originator. He, in turn, stopped whatever they were discussing and said, “What was the meaning of that?”

I replied, “I told the inmate that if he wanted his hat back, to come see you.”

“You didn’t have to come in here late and interrupt our meeting by throwing a hat at me.”

“I did not throw the hat at you and I got here as quickly as possible.”

Before the debate heated up, the computer vendor tapped on the window and saved me from further argument. Don’t ask me why the story changed. I know what I did. I know it wasn’t exactly the correct way to protest a hat rule. However, I had become sick and tired of constantly telling thieves, rapists, and killers to please remove their hats in the building. I like to pick and choose my battles. Hats were not a top priority. Now it doesn’t matter. Some of the inmates leave their hats on, others don’t. The hat rule maker has since retired. The only thing that remains constant is the legendary tale of how I threw a hat at the assistant deputy warden--hardly as memorable as Kim Bassinger's dance routine.

15 comments:

jeannie said...

A legend in your own time! How cool is that? I agree with picking your battles. After 6 kids I've learned a lot about not sweating the small stuff. A hat is the least of your worries....

The Cineast said...

I remember that Kim B. movie. Liked her better as a Bond girl--"Never Say Never Again."

ZZZZZZZ said...

I wish I could pick my battles...what do I do? Barge in everytime and take no prisoners... afterwards it sucks.. I am very sensitive and emotional and take everything personally. I'm working on that. ;o)

Anonymous said...

I remember the battle. Pic looks good. Always liked the song. Now I know why? MW

Bobby said...

I just know: Don't throw a hat on a bed.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and everybody,

Hats! Men Without Hats -- and Drugstore Cowboy (Bobby, got that one ;) Let's not forget Oddjob, if we're talking James Bond.

As for Kim Bassinger, she's good in 8 Mile, too. Funny post -- you Virgos do like skirmishing (one of my sisters is a Virgo, as well). I think Saggitarian types prefer to fire a flaming dart and flee into the night for the next round.

Jamie said...

haha - it's funny how stories change. But you have the last laugh. He who writes the stories down gets to determine how they will survive for the long term

C said...

Hat's off to you. :)

Darlene said...

hey - I'm a girl & I think the Kim B. routine in that movie was pretty hot.
So....If I ever got to jail, I'm not to throw a hat at the deputy? Thanks for the heads up. :o)

Sue said...

When I hear that song I always think of the last scene in The Full Monty. It's probably not as hot as Kim B. but I haven't seen that movie.
Oh my! You have a very interesting job. Hats aside, whenever I watch COPS (over my husband's shoulder) I want to know why nobody is ever wearing a shirt when the get arrested?
Great story about "the hat incident". Timing is everything.

r's musings said...

The storytellers may twist the story and laugh, Jim, but I'll bet they respect you for standing up for what you believe in.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Isn't that Kim B.'s body double in the movie scene? Great pic that makes like your in the hood crowd. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Who dat be in the Hood?

Anonymous said...

H*****Hilariously funny*****

Anonymous said...

"You can leave your hat on" - Joe Crocker............