Saturday, September 2, 2006

THE UNDERCOVER GRADUATE

When I earned my degree from Oakland University, I had them mail it to me. It sat in my desk drawer at home for well over a year before my parents even realized my accomplishment. Something about taking 7 ½ years to get a 4-year degree didn’t seem all that spectacular. Besides, when my dad entered my room with his “Failure to Launch” speech, wondering when I would finish my college education, I nonchalantly told him, “I’m done.” He seemed confused to say the least. I guess maybe he thought I had temporarily quit again. I explained, “Dad, remember how you told me I could live at home rent free as long as I stayed in school? Well I figured if I told you I had a degree then it would cut into my beer money.” He still didn’t believe a word I had said, so I showed him the piece of paper as proof. The look of disbelief on his face is hard to describe.

Soon after I moved out.

On the other hand, my high school graduation was entirely different. One keg party after another—a summer long celebration. I guess I was practicing for the beer bashes I’d encounter in college. I enrolled in night classes so I could continue my ways at the local watering holes, something called "College Night". Perhaps my freedom kept me from enjoying what I had earned. I certainly kept busy during those days. My only regret—that I’m not having a 25-year high school reunion this summer. Or maybe, like my 20th, I didn’t get invited.

9 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Love that story, Jim, about graduating quietly so you could stay at home! Have a good labor day!

Erik Donald France said...

Another good one, Jim. One of my sister's got her master's degree in linguistics at Oakland in the early 1980s. She lives in PA now.

Parting Gifts: www.marchstreetpress.com
3413 Wilshire Ave
Greensboro, NC 27408

The editor/publisher, Robert Bixby, is very hands on, an old school kind of editor who actually edits and offers helpful ideas. It doesn't hurt that he took a short story, too ;)

JR's Thumbprints said...

Thanks Erik. I've been to their website many times over. Never sent any stories their way though.

Anomaly said...

Love the story, wonder if I could get away with pulling something similar? Mwahaha...

Totally understand the bit about the rent-free education - I was on something similar, but eventually just moved out anyway.

Still haven't graduated :/

Anomaly

Anonymous said...

Good story. I liked this post. Brought back memories all good
MW

Bobby said...

Woah - that's even more anticlimactic than my graduation. And it took me seven years. Seven years and a summer. Three different institutions.

Anonymous said...

Some people keep going. Presistence is what counts! You hung in there "quietly"!

Anonymous said...

Nice outfit! Cool all the way Jay!

Anonymous said...

Wheres da Anomaly?