Friday, September 15, 2006

HOSTAGE NEGOTIATIONS


















Prior to the formation of E.R.T. (The Emergency Response Team), the Michigan Department of Corrections trained non-custody staff in Hostage Negotiations. This was a voluntary position, a thankless duty guaranteed to make the negotiator despised by any potential hostages. I had learned early on to induce the Stockholm Syndrome—make the hostage-takers and hostages value each other, make them form a special bond, make them think that I was a complete asshole.

Luckily (can you detect an ounce of sarcasm?) the warden had hand-picked me. He said I possessed a certain “rapport” with the inmates.

“It’s a voluntary assignment,” I reminded him.

“Yeah, I know,” he said. “I volunteered you.”

With an offer like that, how could I refuse? After one week of intense training at the Huron Valley Correctional Facility, I became a certified hostage negotiator. Eight months later, my skills were tested when a situation developed in the sally-port. The deputy warden in charge of security ordered me to a small office area, a place to negotiate from. He had another officer throw a special-designed phone over the fence in the sally-port for contact purposes.

The items the hostage-taker demanded started out large (they always do)—a getaway car, guns, money—but somehow during the negotiation process, I offered him a cup of coffee. Upon delivery, he complained that it was cold. I apologized, and promised to have it heated. Then I asked whether he wanted cream or sugar with it. Anything to keep him talking, to wear him down. I even convinced him to let me speak to the hostage between deliveries.

“Fuck the coffee!” the female officer said. “Give him what he wants. Your messing with my life.”

“This may take awhile,” I explained, “don’t do anything rash.”

Then it turned ugly. The demands intensified.

“Look,” he said, “if I don’t see a getaway car by 1300 hours, I’m going to start tossing fingers over the fence.”

I paused for a moment, tried to regain my composure, tried to think of what needed to be said. “Are you getting hungry?” I asked. “ I can get you something to eat. A hamburger. A steak. Anything.”

Then I heard the background screams. “You still there?” I asked. “Hello. Hello. Hello.” Then I heard the laughter. I can joke about it, say things like “I had my work cut out for me.” Scenarios make for good practice. I'm just glad we have E.R.T. I'm willing to bet they do a much better job.

13 comments:

JLCGULL said...

Rubik's Cube. Worth the price of admission. I could never get my feet and beek to work on that at the same time.

r's musings said...

Reminds me of a movie I watched recently, "Firewall" starring Harrison Ford. Got to be good at those split-second decisions in such a position, eh? Tough job; thought-provoking post, Jim!

Erik Donald France said...

Oh, man. They get what they pay for. Nice grotesque detail with the fingers ;)

Anonymous said...

Jim, My first reaction is to dope up the cup of coffee or whatever food he/she requested. Maybe even give the person a lacsitive to make them want to **** their brains out! --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

It's sad that they just don't give the CO's stun guns already.
They had to take an inmate down the other day and he was asked, "do you want to do this the hard way or the easy way" and his response was, "you need to earn your money." An officer was injured bringing him down and handcuffing him. Ask the same question with a stun gun in your
hand and I believe the easy way will be the preferred method. However, there will be a few who will want to experience the taser and they should be accomodated. Great Post. Has me thinking out loud. MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

Jonathan Livingston Seagull,
You need to fly in a little closer. That's a pencil/paperclip holder.

Bro Ron,
The hostage-takers usually have their hostages sample their beverages and food first.

MW,
As you already know, I can talk and listen to the inmates all day long. If it means someone may get hurt, then I prefer not to negotiate. Leave those tender moments for E.R.T.

LookinginmyRearviewMirror said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Would you care to exchange links?

I think some of my readers would enjoy your blog. I know I will be back. Too bad my housework is calling me or I would be glued to your blog for an hour or so. Very interesting stuff.

Let me know if you want to exchange links.

Blessings,

Lue

Bobby said...

Intense.

I guess items like coffee and food - those are kind of, 'calm items,' items one would associate with calm times. Just sitting there havin a cup of coffee. Just sittin there havin a steak. That just pulls pulls the situation toward calmness. Instead of . . . Car - yeah - we'll get you a car so you can drive it really fast and have three hundred cop cars behind you in a nationally televised event. Or yeah - we'll get you a GUN. If you're offering them coffee and food and a calm situation, instead of some ultimatum . . . wow man - your work is so intense.

Anonymous said...

Jim, Hey, the hostage takers got some brains.... --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Nice reading material!

Anonymous said...

heyy amanda

Anonymous said...

Heyyy Jordan hows it going budddii!!!

Anonymous said...

Jordan yur the biggest geek I kno..
Lets get the whole class to use it