Tuesday, September 5, 2006

POOL CLOSING

















Here I am in my birthday suit (five more days until I can celebrate my forty-third year in these finest of threads) clinging to the side of my very first pool. There are more pictures of this inflatable luxury, however, I’d have to get permission from my brother to post them. We each had a beach ball, evidence of his recent departure, leaving me waiting for assistance from our mother, the lifeguard on duty, whom had to be nearby, had to be. At least I had a tight grip on the side, unlike the hard slippery tub of my childhood, also shared at a very young age, the most sensible and economical way to bathe two kids in the least amount of time.

I don’t have many fond memories of our first pool, nor do I remember much about pool’s number two and three, both above ground, one circular and the other peanut-shaped, respectively; each upgrades, our last one cabbaged from the neighbor’s backyard and erected in ours. This was our father’s futile attempt to keep us entertained at home, his reasoning, if we swam in this very same pool at the neighbor’s, then by golly we’d be able to enjoy it over here. Unfortunately, the only flesh hitting the water were his hands as he tested the water’s pH, alkalinity, and chlorine levels. His strategy had backfired. Our neighbors may have given us their old pool, but they too had upgraded. Often when we were asked why we didn’t swim at home, we’d remind him (he worked midnight’s) about all the times that he had opened his bedroom window and yelled at us to quiet down so he could get some sleep.

Well, Labor Day is officially over, and as Michigan tradition goes, I winterized my own above ground pool and covered it. I’m preparing for the seasonal change, hoping to one day replace my pool with a hot tub instead.

20 comments:

Karen Carp said...

Michelle=hot tub

ZZZZZZZ said...

hey nice pool! hehe when I was a baby my mom had a huge plastic green turtle pool. It was cool. It had a mini slide on it... of course... the slide was about from where my hips to my toes are now... but when I was little it was huge!!

Anonymous said...

Cool. In Detroit, Pole Town, my grandmother would fill up a metal bushel and we just sit in it to cool off. Brings back good memories. Same bushel would be used by my grandather to pick produce, mushrooms and assorted fungus, as well as fruit. I can remember every neighbor having gardens and some kind of fruit tree and they would trade. Great post. MW

Anonymous said...

These postings are a little on the dull side. The pictures aren't helping.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey Jim and all,

This brings back a lot of memories: neighborhood pools, almost drowning, even the first time out on a boat in the ocean.

As for anon, no one's making you read them; why not try your own blog for a change?

Dawn said...

I can't believe you ever won a blog anything. I got the link from that and this is boring. It's so midwestern and close-minded.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Dawn,
I hope it's not because you're a veggie, or is it? Sure wish I could see your blog. I'd even send a few meat-eaters your way; I'm sure they'd keep an open mind.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I remember the days! Seems like yesterday except a few lbs heavier. --Bro, Ron

Anonymous said...

Damn Jim you got some haters now!

Anonymous said...

JR. Right on! Dawn honey, write your own blog so we can be enlightened!MW

r's musings said...

When you're a kid, everything seems more exciting at a friend's house, don't ya think? I also have a feeling that AP found the "Other" button...

Mac said...

I have to agree with Dawn, Jimbo. I'm not finding anything to like here. Sorry about that. Your writing is too distant from any kind of life that is interesting. We can only hope something happens to you before the next blog contest.

Anonymous said...

Fe FI FO FUM smells like its not easy being green is having his fun!!! SMACK DADDY said....

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Jim,

Loved the sweet baby picture and post!

Parlancheq said...

I don't think your mom was nearby. Forty years ago parents didn't fret over their toddlers like they do today. I bet your mom snapped the photo, put your brother down for a nap, and sat down to watch the soaps, gin and tonic in hand. ;)

Anonymous said...

not me mw

Anonymous said...

not me either MW

Margaret said...

Alrighty! Another September Virgo! We rock don't we?

virocana said...

Signature

Anonymous said...

How cute. Don't go in the p...