Monday, September 4, 2006

A MEAT-CUTTER'S LAMENT

I could tell you a story on Labor Day about Michigan not being “a right to work” state and team up with the unfortunate low-wage earners and small business owners in railing against the unions, but to do so would mean choosing a position of weakness or strength. So I’m not going to pontificate for or against unions even though I’ll admit, the first time I read Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged,” I wanted to shout out to the world, “You got what you deserved!” Little did I know that Rand’s characters lacked human depth, that they were mere puppets pushing her “Philosophy of Objectivism.” And why not? Knowing John Galt's identity meant superiority, while forgetting it meant framing yourself into a substandard existence.

Which brings me to the story I heard from a meat-cutter. “There’s a half-way house not too far away from where I work in Detroit,” he explained, “Eastern Market. A parolee seeking employment walked into our establishment and said he had experience as a butcher. He was straightforward with us, explaining that he did not have a car, that he was an ex-felon, that he’d appreciate the opportunity to prove himself. For whatever reason, whether it was the sincerity in his voice or our need to find experienced workers, we decided to give him a chance.”

“Billy, it turns out, couldn’t cut meat for shit. He wasn’t completely truthful, but he had a heart of gold. His willingness to learn shined through. At first he did the menial jobs, scrapping excess meat off the floor, unloading trucks, and carting packaged orders to the freezer until pick-up. We would’ve consider Billy for overtime, however, he had to report back to the half-way house by a certain time or risk going back to prison. In fact, his parole officer would periodically call us to see if Billy showed up for work.”

I asked the meat-cutter if he regretted hiring Billy and he said, “absolutely not.” Then he continued, “After one year we let Billy make deliveries. Three months into his new position and not one single problem. I even filled out paper work for his parole officer, giving Billy high marks on punctuality and work ethic. Unfortunately, the delivery truck he was driving broke down one day in Mount Clemens. Billy called us in a panic. I personally took it upon myself to explain the situation to his parole officer. ‘If he’s more than ten minutes late,’ the parole officer said, ‘he’s violated the conditions of his parole.’ So we had to send another worker to Mount Clemens to pick-up Billy and get him back to the half-way house, instead of having him wait with the truck.”

I asked if Billy made it back on time. “Oh yeah,” the meat-cutter said. “In fact, Billy eventually moved on to another job. He used us as a reference too. Things turned out fine for him.” I could tell something bothered the meat-cutter. “We’re trying to run a business," he said. "The parole officer should’ve made an allowance, considering the circumstances. Would you believe he called us with a referral, and we reminded him that under no certain terms would we hire another ex-felon.”

17 comments:

Malinda777 said...

Mixed emotions here... long story be patient... the story won't fix the mixed emotions.

I own a company...and have hired an ex-felon...(did 14 years). At first, EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE... most days STILL EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE... but over two years employment, some BIG problems sometimes.

He LIED about the "real reason" he was "in". Confronted him with that, he CRIED REAL TEARS, and upon my redneck southern Texas woman wrath promised NO MORE LIES,
then sometimes has DRAMA with wife, etc...

Sometimes is LATE with no call, just personal problems...etc.

I don't know. I REALLY believe in giving a guy who's down a chance, but DAMN sometimes these guys never learn. NOW, I might subscribe to the train of thought, "DON'T hire an ex-felon"... and we're A RIGHT TO WORK STATE... it's OK

Anonymous said...

Another great post. As we build infrastructure in communist China
I find it ironic that all 36 of Mr. Walton's stores have to be unionized. A government union at that. On another note: My all time favorite wildlife conservationist was killed at the barrier reef yesterday. Steve Irwin, "The Crocodile Hunter."
My respect goes out to his wife and kids. On prison: Zero tolerance JR. Zeroooo TOLERANCE!!
I have the video. Happy Labor Day.

:-} MW

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Malinda,
I agree, most ex-felons have way too much baggage and aren't worth hiring.

MW, I agree: ZERO TOLERANCE, which in turn means that a small percentage of ex-felons trying to do what's right, could get caught in the net and hauled back to prison. It's the price we have to pay to be safe in society. (Are you talking about my prison graduation video?)

Lastly, there's plenty of people that never committed a crime looking for work. Shouldn't they come first? Happy Labor Day everyone.

Anonymous said...

Jim, No ex-felons "wanted" in my backyard! --Bro, Ron

potentially lethal said...

I used to work in a meat freezer of a supermarket - back in the day. I remember some pretty spicy characters who worked with me.

It was cold... I hated it.

I like how you add photographs to your blogs. Very cool.

Have a good Holiday.

Anonymous said...

JR, there actually is a "Zero Tolerance" video. I have it in my classroom. You will have to see it. It's the one were the inmate eats lunch with his fellow workers at MacDonalds and is sent back to prison because he was not at work. You can't think out of the box or you end up with something like Selepak. MW

jbwritergirl said...

Great post JR!

It's interesting to think about whether an ex-con is employable or not. All the trust issues and what not, much like the attention derived by extramariatal affairs.

By the way, from your photo it appears that you will be serving up a fiesta, what time should I arrive and should I bring anything?

JB

Erik Donald France said...

How about the French Foreign Legion?

ZZZZZZZ said...

Wow. Very interesting post. Like the picture too. Lots of meat going on in that photo!!! Have a nice Labor Day!!! ya know... the day we celebrate working by... uh... not working.

Jo said...

Well, the parole officer sounds like a typical hard-nosed, tunnel-vision government employee. Oops, I hope I didn't just offend anyone. Well, I work for the government of British Columbia, so I know the type. (Not me, of course....)

Dr. A said...

Hi JR, Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Thought I would do the same. I feel the same as the others about ex-felons.

I read some of your other posts. I like what I read. I'm going to add you to my links (if that's ok).

r's musings said...

Interesting post, Jim, and great photo. I give the store owner credit for hiring an ex-felon. It's sad that the parole officers can't show any leniency. But, then again, they might be taken advantage of if they do. Tough position.

urban butterfly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and please, don't be a stranger!!

The "Still Waters" painting on my blog is by a lady named Sally Maxwell.

Here's here site:

http://www.sallymaxwellsart.com/wild%20things.html

Jamie said...

I can't stand bureaucracy. If you write the laws with a little leniency in them, then maybe a few people will get away with something, but for the most part you will allow people to use common sense for things like this.
-Jamie

Dawn said...

This is gross. I'm a vegetarian and find this horribly offensive. Glad you're so proud of yourself.

Parlancheq said...

Wait, "most ex-felons have way too much baggage and aren't worth hiring" (as you wrote in resposne to Malinda's comment)?? So, should we just keep them all in jail for life, regardless of their actual sentences, since they're 'barely employable' upon release?

Anonymous said...

Where's da beef?? Givme some of those steak my man!!!