Sunday, December 3, 2006

THESE ARE YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS

The feeling that the work is magnificent, and the feeling that it is abominable, are both mosquitoes to be repelled, ignored, or killed, but not indulged.
—Annie Dillard

The first warden I ever worked under held monthly Warden’s Forum Meetings in the Food Tech dining area across the hall from my classroom. The Food Tech instructor and his inmate staff fixed the warden's administration and the elected prisoner representatives a nice breakfast of farmer’s omelets, hashbrowns, toast, orange juice, and coffee. After they’d had their fill the warden got down to business. "Okay men, what issues or concerns need to be addressed?"

I’ll admit, the warden certainly knew how to work a room full of convicts. She knew how to minimize their complaints. First, feed the reps, get them comfortable, and make them feel special as if they didn’t have six-digit numbers like their constituents. From my observations, they looked forward to their monthly meetings; it sure beat the hell out of the chow hall.

I informed Prisoner Miller, who also happened to be an academic tutor of mine, that there were lots of complaints from the general population. "I hope you were able to come to some type of an agreement with the administration. It certainly looked like you guys were on good terms with the warden and her staff."

Detecting my sarcasm, Miller responded, "As long as the Warden feeds me, I ain’t got shit to say."

I knew most of the men attending the Warden’s Forum, so when my boss asked if I would supervise the packaging of Christmas goodies being delivered to all the inmates, I said, "Sure, why not." The following items were purchased with IBF money (Inmate Benefit Funds): small pecan pies, chocolates, hard candy, candy canes, and various other treats. Stations were set-up in the gymnasium and the reps shoved items into each bag before moving it further down the line, all the way to the last station where the bags were stapled and loaded into boxes for delivery to each unit.

Since they were elected officials, I didn’t scrutinize their work—afterall, it was the week of Christmas. I remember inmates from the general population complaining to me about the chintzy packages they received. When I showed them the list of items stuffed into each bag, I got the typical response, "Well then, I got shorted. Did you actually see these items go into each bag?"

"Hey," I said, "these are your elected officials. You guys voted them in. If you don’t like what happened, vote’em out. Oh, and Merry Christmas."

17 comments:

ghee said...

indeed,xmas is in the air!
merry xmas to you,too! :)

btw,those pants are nice!!

Anonymous said...

Nice PJ's JR :-)

Its sad that people will do almost anything if it doesn't cause a wave.

btw your tagged.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Oh man, not again! I'll be right over. Maybe I'll follow the rules this time--not!

Anonymous said...

Jim, Nice PJs as well. It fits your job. Where did you get them? I don't think you got them from work. I don't understand why the inmates could have complained on the things they were getting for Christmas. Unbelievable! Well, Christmas is in the air and we have to make the best of it. --Bro, Ron

ivan said...

Wow.
Must be nice to work in a captive audience.
But this piece reads well for everybody.
Certainly in this season.

Erik Donald France said...

I love the Warden’s Forum Meeting tales. Can't get enough! I hate meetings, but they're fun to read about. This one reminds me of briefly joining a Baptist Student Union when I was a cadet at VMI just so I could escape the barracks for a couple hours and get some decent food. Though I didn't convert, I sure appreciated their meals.

Shionge said...

Heee....I just have to join in the fun - nice PJ :D

Anonymous said...

Put food on the table and most people will be to busy with their mouth full when it comes time to talk. I've been to a few meeting like this from several different jobs and they have all been strange. In most cases, the food was terrible and anyone who ate it spent half the day in the bathroom or begging to go home, but there was always that one guy, the one with the iron guy, who went up for thirds and fourths and was fine. They always said something along the lines of "Hey, aren't'cha going up for more this is great grub."

Also, based on all the documentaries I've watched about prisons, I'd have to say a candy cane doesn't seem to be a safe item to hand out. They can be worked into quite a pointy shank. Thus the age long questions: "How many licks does it take to get to the shanky center of a candy cane?"

Anonymous said...

Loyalty is only as good as your next meal. Nice PJ's. Why is Snoopy's ghost hovering by the fireplace? MW

Laura said...

Well, at least the warden was willing to listen to their complaints. And they got Christmas presents to boot!!! At my work, we don't get anything for Christmas, and for our Christmas party this year, we are having a pot luck, which means we have to make our own food. These guys are convicted criminals for Christ sake!!! They get more than I do and I'm a "productive member of society". They should be grateful that the warden was willing to listen to them and that they got anything at all from the place.

Anonymous said...

Great ending. Hey, I saw a trailer for a documentary called "Shakespeare Behind Bars." I think that's what it was called. Anyhoo, it's about inmates that put on productions of Shakespeare's work. It looked fascinating, and perusing your blog reminded me of it. Thought you might be interested.

Jo said...

Okay, what the Sam Hill are you wearing now?

We don't get anything for Christmas either, and this year they've cancelled our Christmas party, due to "budget constraints".

Bah humbug.

Josie

Anonymous said...

Yeh, we don't have any X-mas parties either due to cut backs.

Michelle's Spell said...

Man, Great picture and post. Love the Annie Dillard quote!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA nice jammies!

r's musings said...

Like the Annie Dillard quote, those great pjs, and especially that last line, Jim! It's like raising children--put the responsibility for their choices back on them...no victims here.

Anonymous said...

NICE PJ'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!