Friday, December 22, 2006

A HORSE WITH NO NAME


















Even the most ordinary lives, once you begin to press on them a little, reveal themselves to be full of the most affecting pathos.
—Vikram Chandra, author of Love and Longing in Bombay.

It’s so easy to say “Merry Christmas” and “Happy New Year,” yet at work I’ve omitted it from my repertoire. These expressions, along with “Good Morning,” have been shelved for quite some time. Not that I’m wishing ill will on the prisoners, I really really do hope that their holidays are filled with peace. But after fifteen years, I’ve become condition to saying things a little differently. For instance: instead of the usual “Good Morning,” I say, “Morning.” I used to slip up and the usual response was, “What the &%#!@ is so damned good about it?!!!”

Yesterday, a few of the inmates wished me a “Merry Christmas,” and I did not reciprocate. A simple “Thanks” was all I said. They understood. Other inmates waited around for a “Merry Christmas” in return. To them I said, “Hey, try not to have a shitty holiday.” Laughing, they understood too.

As for saying nothing at all, the coworker I had problems with signed his retirement papers the day he and I had the blow out, and I, in turn, did not sign his farewell card. He is gone. I did not tell him to enjoy his retirement. What’s the point? No matter where he goes, a cloud of misery will follow. Here’s to wishing him well. And I seriously mean it. If I didn’t, he’d still be looking for his car keys .

Now it’s time to get the show on the road. Snow or no snow, Christmas is here! Time to spend it with family and friends. When I see my brother (if he hasn’t already read this post), I’ll tell him that the horse was definitely mine. It was the start of a natural progression. From there I became an American Indian (somehow mistaken for a squaw). After that, I became Gene Autry, the singing cowboy.

Before I ramble on any further: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE NEAR AND FAR.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Bubba well too and hope he comes back for his retiremnet party.
I did not sign his card either. I felt I had already shown him enough love on the other piece of paper I HAD TO DATE AND SIGN ON HIM!!!! Of course the emphasis is Bubbas' and I'm sure going to miss him. NOT!!!!!!Happy Holidays JR, Santa came early for both of us.MW

Anonymous said...

Jim, I've read your post this morning. Yes, understand you got the horse to go with your sqauw outfit. So, X-mas is here. Merry X-mas to you as well and we will see you later. --Bro, Ron
p.s. Fairwell to your coworker. May he never ever come back!!! :)

Michelle's Spell said...

I hear you, Jim. I stopped asking people How they're doing? unless I really want to know because they tend to tell me. When I read your post, I couldn't help but think of John Prine's lyric "It's Christmas in prison and the food is real good . . " To you, I wish a very Merry Christmas -- congrats on keeping up such a wonderful blog. Persistence is all. (At least I hope so since I have almost no talent!) But you have both! You're the man!

Anonymous said...

I used to think I had to answer the question, "How are you?" honestly. When I don't want to answer it, I say, "I'm doing well." I'm going to have to change it up. I'll try to be real.

Jo said...

Merry Christmas to you too, JR. I hope you have a fabulous time with your friends and family.

Cheers,
Josie

Anonymous said...

And a merry Christmas to you Jim and y'all -- great post and photo. You've inspired me to at least look for some old family photos. The Chandra quote is right on.

Kris Kringel (aka Santa Claus) said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL & ALL IS WELL!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nancy said...

Merry Christmas! Enjoy your family.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Dr. Phil said...

Mr. Thumbprints,
You are having an identity crisis. I will talk you through it. All you have to do is come on my show titled "Gender Therapy." You'll be able to take out your aggression during our pillow fighting segment too.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://tramadol-best5.blogspot.com/]tramadol[/url] http://tramadol-best5.blogspot.com/
See you.